Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 NYS University Police Officer

QUALIFICATIONS

In order to qualify for the civil service exam to become a University Police Officer, all candidates must possess a minimum of 60 college credits; this educational requirement is a higher standard than many municipal or county law enforcement agencies. Many officers in University Police possess Bachelor's and/or Master’s degrees. Following the written test, candidates who scored high enough to be reachable must pass a standardized physical test that involves pushups, sit-ups, and a 1.5 mile run. Following the physical agility testing, candidates advancing must clear psychological and medical screening. In addition, substantial background testing/checking takes place, including fingerprinting.

Worth leaving Nypd for??

Comment

• HighwayBob
      HighwayBob commented
      Editing a comment
      Worth taking the test. Why give up on any chance to leave?

• xknuckles
      xknuckles commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s right highway bob. I’m taking every exam possible

• Theout
      Theout commented
      Editing a comment
      Depends on what the person’s goals are - it’s mostly campus security. Money is not bad 55 grand to start.
      Seems like a good chill gig.
      Exam wasn’t that easy in 2016. Campuses that canvass people usually hire 1-5 so try to Score high. People who are willing to move upstate will be canvassed the earliest (2016).
      Point being if you willing to move upstate it’s worth a shot. Not many locations in actual NYC ( SUNY medical in Brooklyn has SUNY police on campus)

NYPD retirement is 22 , here it’s little longer 25.

• NYPDpoQNS
      NYPDpoQNS commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah a buddy of mine left for farming dale university and he had a pretty good command in the city.... university starting pay is pretty way better than nypd .... their top pay is less than nypd but supposedly their new contract will bring it on par with city guys . I believe they are 25 and out right now too and the new contract is suppose to make them 20 and out like the rest of NYS..... if the contract is going to be as good as they hoping then it’s a home run... how ever even as the job is now you can make a decent living and have huge quality of life increase from nypd ..... 12 hour tours , minimal dealing with hazardous , stressful situations. Better commute etc

Yea Nypd is 25 too now, I also hear these guys are out of contract.

Comment

• Bidstar
      Bidstar commented
      Editing a comment
      Nypd is 25 now? Damn

It’s still 22 technically but you’d be missing out on 60k and the inflation adjustment they give you fro staying 25.

Comment

Deleteedd....

Comment

...Deleted

Comment

So looks like you can work downstate and get paid more? Or Im reading it wrong?
          Appointees who work in the five boroughs of New York City or in Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, or Westchester Counties will receive an additional $1,520 annual downstate adjustment. In addition, appointees who work in the following locations will receive an additional supplemental location pay in the following amounts: the counties of Dutchess, Orange, and Putnam $1,266; the five boroughs of New York City, Rockland, and Westchester Counties $1,900; and Nassau and Suffolk Counties $2,217.”

Either way I’m going to apply the more options I have the better also sounds like a good gig

Comment

Originally posted by Bidstar View Post
            So looks like you can work downstate and get paid more? Or Im reading it wrong?

That's very obviously what it says. Probably to help offset the higher cost-of-living downstate.

Comment

• Bidstar
              Bidstar commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok I just found it a little weird because I thought they only worked upstate because SUNY is there or they have some SUNY universities downstate I don’t know about

• HighwayBob
              HighwayBob commented
              Editing a comment
              There's nothing weird about it. There are SUNY schools in New York City, Nassau County, Suffolk County, Westchester County, etc

• Bidstar
              Bidstar commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Bob!

Does anyone know how to be considered for opportunities upstate & downstate?

Do you have to put availability statewide? If so where?
            John 3:16-17 (KJV)

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Comment

• Bidstar
              Bidstar commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah I kinda want to know too because I would like to choose downstate but looks like they send you where they need you but that’s just me assuming. But maybe you can choose? Because I also saw they looking for officers who speak Spanish so I believe they need people in the boroughs because that’s where the most Spanish speaking population live.

• boconnor
              boconnor commented
              Editing a comment
              You would register for both exams. Last time it was two exams. One for upstate and one for down. Same test tho

boconnor Bidstar Yeah I applied to Spanish Speaking Officer Exam since I speak Spanish lol & they said they'll also place me in regular exam. so I guess I'll automatically be considered for upstate & downstate?

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Comment

• Bidstar
              Bidstar commented
              Editing a comment
              Most likely yes. Since you know Spanish they might want you downstate I know Spanish too so it doesn’t hurt taking it good luck

Are you fluent too? Lol Bidstar but you too bro good luck.

Comment

• Bidstar
              Bidstar commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes pretty much
              Last edited by Bidstar; 11-17-2019, 11:14 AM.

Where are the testing locations or is it only Albany?

Comment

• Simpleguy515
              Simpleguy515 commented
              Editing a comment
              Online they give all the testing locations

Does anyone know the salary potential? It says 50k, is that top pay or are there step increases?

Comment

Originally posted by headphones1225 View Post
              Does anyone know the salary potential? It says 50k, is that top pay or are there step increases?
              Think it’s like low 70s or 60s even with longevity

Comment

Originally posted by headphones1225 View Post
                I did some digging and this is what I found:
                https://www.cs.ny.gov/businesssuite/...014&fullScreen

I’m my opinion I don’t like the pay longevity, but it might be good for others.
                Last edited by Bidstar; 11-20-2019, 12:41 AM.

Comment

• HighwayBob
                  HighwayBob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How do you know what those "grades" equate to? How do you know if the upper grades aren't supervisory ranks?

How do you know for sure that this pay scale applies to police officers? I looked through that website and found a few things that might apply.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12317 users online. 448 members and 11869 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X