Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYSP switching to low profile lightbars?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYSP switching to low profile lightbars?

It seems like it has been forever that the majority of NYSP cruisers have gone with the high profile rotator lightbars( yes ive seen the slick top and specialty cars). I just happened to be passing through New Lebanon NY (Troop K) and saw a regular crown vic with a low profile lightbar(looked like an LED bar with red lenses). Should be nice for traffic enforcement. Are these new bars going to be on all cars or is it a pilot program. Now all they have to do is to switch to all blue facing forward and leave the red to the nozzle heads.

All blue is bad during the day. Red is better. Blue is definately superior at night though. I think the state finally had something when they allowed the blue light in the rear. At most a blue and red in front would be ok but all blue....I wouldn't like that.

Comment

I've been seeing more cars with the all LEDs. All of the vehicles are getting them to replace the old ones, from what I've heard, but that's just what I've heard.

Comment

We just got a liberty lightbar. That thing is BRIGHT!!!!! LED's are nice but the rotators are nice if you get the ultra bright ones

Comment

I havent seen these yet ... all Troop L Brentwood Barracks vehicles still have the old lightbars.

Hell I bet Troop L is last on the list for replacement. Albany acts as if were a totally separate state.

Comment

Originally posted by UPNYPO View Post
            All blue is bad during the day. Red is better. Blue is definately superior at night though. I think the state finally had something when they allowed the blue light in the rear. At most a blue and red in front would be ok but all blue....I wouldn't like that.
            I guess you would have to get used to it. I'm so used to blue here in Mass. I like it. I suppose if we always had red I would be partial to that.

Its just easier to tell the difference here. Red(clear) forward for ALL fire/ambulance/ volunteer FF/EMT personal vehicles(some firetrucks and ambulances have one blue to the rear but not in Vol's POV). Blue(clear) forward for Police, many run a combo of blue red amber to the rear. There is no confusion as to who is who when you come down the road.
            Last edited by 208; 05-14-2007, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I believe that the DMV's regulations allowing blue lights to the rear only took effect in April, 2007. I think they are much better.
              You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

I think a combo of red /blue works better than one color. I think ina few years nY will have blue to the front as well as the VTL has bills for more changes in conference.. for example green lights if passed will go away and there is a bill to require all vehicles to yield to blue lights which would have to pass before law enforcement went blue to the front as well.

Comment

mark has a point. Here in NY you don't have to stop or yeild for blue lights. I have actually seen a vol. fireman sitting at a red light with the blue lights going. SO if police had blue lights in the front, that would be more confusing. Times are a changin though.

Comment

As a volunteer FF and a future LEO I am kinda torn. Blue is good for the VF's because those of us that live more than a mile from the station actually do benefit a lot from blue lights. However, as a future LEO, I also know that blue is more visible and attracts less drunks.

Comment

Interesting topic given what happened to me the other night. I had someone stopped on a two lane road for speeding. No big thing. As I was waiting for the ticket to print out I looked in my mirror and saw a vehicle coming right toward me. I assumed the 'Oh no someones going to hit me position' and at the last second the guy veered off. I told my speeder to stay and I chased down the other guy.

After I stopped him something seemed amiss. I asked him why he drove right towards my police car and he tells me (exact words), 'I didn't know what to do. I saw those blue lights dancing all around. I've never seen that before.' So, sarcastically I ask him, 'So naturally you decide to drive towards the flashing lights, right?'

In the end, I find out that this guy has multiple sclorsis, which can cause visual problems and cognitive impairment.

And yes, my DMV request for review form has already been sent out.

Comment

This is why the California Highway Patrol has started to not even use any lights at all when they're on the side of the highway on a traffic stop. After the car stops, they turn off the lightbar and simply leave their running lights on...after too many drunks slamming into them attracted to the lightbar.
                        It's actually pretty neat, you don't even notice them t'ill you drive past, you just think it's a regular car on the side of the freeway.

Comment

Originally posted by tmpd140 View Post
                          Interesting topic given what happened to me the other night. I had someone stopped on a two lane road for speeding. No big thing. As I was waiting for the ticket to print out I looked in my mirror and saw a vehicle coming right toward me. I assumed the 'Oh no someones going to hit me position' and at the last second the guy veered off. I told my speeder to stay and I chased down the other guy.

After I stopped him something seemed amiss. I asked him why he drove right towards my police car and he tells me (exact words), 'I didn't know what to do. I saw those blue lights dancing all around. I've never seen that before.' So, sarcastically I ask him, 'So naturally you decide to drive towards the flashing lights, right?'

In the end, I find out that this guy has multiple sclorsis, which can cause visual problems and cognitive impairment.

And yes, my DMV request for review form has already been sent out.

Wowww, that is interesting. I know he said he was attracted because he never saw blues before but would the color really make a difference? Would he be more attracted to LED? Strobe? Halogen?
                          Last edited by OTVFD18; 05-17-2007, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post
                            This is why the California Highway Patrol has started to not even use any lights at all when they're on the side of the highway on a traffic stop. After the car stops, they turn off the lightbar and simply leave their running lights on...after too many drunks slamming into them attracted to the lightbar.
                            It's actually pretty neat, you don't even notice them t'ill you drive past, you just think it's a regular car on the side of the freeway.
                            I agree with that. In fact, before we got these new lightbars (FedSig Arjents) I would leave my rear red/amber flashers on. These new lightbars don't allow me to do that and my departments SOP's state we must leave the lights on.

Originally posted by OTVFD18 View Post
                            Wowww, that is interesting. I know he said he was attracted because he never saw blues before but would the color really make a difference? Would he be more attracted to LED? Strobe? Halogen?
                            I think it was this guys medical condition to be honest that caused him to be 'confused'. Who knows. I don't think color, strobe, etc wouldv'e mattered.

Comment

[QUOTE=tmpd140;879699]I agree with that. In fact, before we got these new lightbars (FedSig Arjents) I would leave my rear red/amber flashers on. These new lightbars don't allow me to do that and my departments SOP's state we must leave the lights on.

QUOTE]

oh ok wow, so your dept makes you leave entire lightbar on during the stop?

geez that sucks, that's a safety issue, and that's taking away officer discretion to do what you want to do with your lights....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3572 users online. 210 members and 3362 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X