300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTA PD vs Nassau PD

Hey guys. So I’m fortunate enough to be going through the process with MTA and will begin the process for Nassau soon also. Currently a city cop and looking to make a move where the grass is greener. I know both are amazing jobs and can’t go wrong with either, just curious if anybody has any insight why one might be better then the other. I currently live in queens so I wouldn’t have to relocate for either job. Very happy to be in the position I’m in, just looking for some insight. Thanks in advance!

One of our guys left to go to NCPD (MTAPD) and he ended up coming back. He hated it. He said there's not a lot of camaraderie amongst the cops because they really don't see much of each other. There is no roll call at the precinct, you call the desk a few hours before your tour starts to get your post and then you drive to a police booth to meet up with the cop from the prior tour and take the RMP.

During the tour he said you may see a cop in an adjoining sector but many times not. He went through the academy and then did about 6 months on the street and was begging to come back. Of course, that's just one perspective.

Personally, I like being alone and don't think I'd mind. It also sticks in my head about the fiscal emergency that the county declared a few years ago which really screwed the county employees financially. I don't know what the financial state of Nassau is these days but to have your pay frozen for 2 or 3 years with no retro after it's over can't be fun when you're at the bottom.

Isn't it over 10 years to top pay out there?

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayBob View Post
      One of our guys left to go to NCPD (MTAPD) and he ended up coming back. He hated it. He said there's not a lot of camaraderie amongst the cops because they really don't see much of each other. There is no roll call at the precinct, you call the desk a few hours before your tour starts to get your post and then you drive to a police booth to meet up with the cop from the prior tour and take the RMP.

During the tour he said you may see a cop in an adjoining sector but many times not. He went through the academy and then did about 6 months on the street and was begging to come back. Of course, that's just one perspective.

Personally, I like being alone and don't think I'd mind. It also sticks in my head about the fiscal emergency that the county declared a few years ago which really screwed the county employees financially. I don't know what the financial state of Nassau is these days but to have your pay frozen for 2 or 3 years with no retro after it's over can't be fun when you're at the bottom.

I believe it’s 9 years to top pay, but they’re top pay is currently 122 base I think. So the moneys there for the extra two years it takes. I do know mta is out of contract but who knows what they’ll get.

Comment

Get out of the city - that's the main thing. If MTAPD hires you go for it. You can't count on getting hired by Nassau. If you do and want to move just leave and go there. We've had a few people do that with Nassau and Suffolk over the past few years.

Comment

Get out of the city - that's the main thing. If MTAPD hires you go for it. You can't count on getting hired by Nassau. If you do and want to move just leave and go there. We've had a few people do that with Nassau and Suffolk over the past few years.
          I couldn’t agree more. Both are great jobs.

Comment

Who knows how long you'll be on a foot post until you see a car. Remember new hires are being sent to NYC transit. If given the choice between the two, Nassau PD.

Comment

I know people on both jobs.. most would say go with Nassau if you don't mind working solo. Both jobs are great in their own ways.

Comment

How do the retirement plans line up? Im not familiar with the ins and outs of mta police retirement system? Nassau have 384-E ? What retirement contribution (if any) will you have to make over the lifetime of your career?
                ​​​​

Comment

• Nhayes91
                  Nhayes91 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If I'm not mistaken, they're both NYS tier 6.

MTAPD has a separate pension system but we mimic the state P&F.

Comment

Pension Tier is dictated by your hire date (generally speaking). I was referring to the differences in the Retirement Plan. Jobs with 384-d are 20 year retirement with no real incentives for staying beyond 20. 384-e however gives you additional credit / incentive of 1.66% for each year beyond 20 years for a total of 70% If you did 32 years otj. Not every place offers it but Nassau Co would not surprise me if they did

Comment

There is no more freeze, so you don't have to worry about that. Nassau has the 1/60th if you plan on being a dinosaur and staying there forever.

Comment

MTAPD is 384-e according to your description.

Comment

Great perspective. What may be the best job in the world for some can be the worst for others.
                        Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. An all expenses paid trip with travel, meals, and accommodations included!

Comment

Nassau cops will be in a car driving where they want to drive, when they want to drive when not handling 911 calls. I think a county cop would have more varied experiences than the MTA cops, who ( I may be wrong) I believe will be mainly posted to transportation hubs. As you get time on the job you like the ability to spend a slow Sunday or night tour doing whatever your in the mood to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Punisher1336 View Post
                            I think a county cop would have more varied experiences than the MTA cops, who ( I may be wrong) I believe will be mainly posted to transportation hubs. .
                            You are wrong. Most of the motor patrol is not directed at any particular location. When I worked in District 7 (Beacon) we covered 5 counties from there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12670 users online. 496 members and 12174 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X