300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co-Op City Police

Are Co-Op City Police real police? Some of my friends that are NYPD officers claim that they are security guards who call themselves police yet I did some research and found that they have a ESU, detectives, etc.

What gives? Im thinking that like the SCPD, the NYPD thinks they are the only agency in the land and refuses to admit that anyone else has police officer status?

Thanks POCHEDDER, would you happen to know why they have/need detectives? I find it odd that they have them instead of just having the NYPD handle investigations.

Comment

They are a private police force and have peace officer status.

But the different between the word police and peace officer is relatively the samething. No real difference.

Co-op city police jurisdiction is only in co-op city and no where else.

Comment

26 years ago I was a co-op city patrolman. It was then called Co-op City Security. I was a special patrolman, which is/was a NYC administrative law peace officer on duty only. I had a full carry permit for which I was indemnified on duty only. There was a supervisor who had a fully carry custodial permit. His permit had the serial numbers of all the weapons Co-op City owned and were the only weapons allowed to be carried by permitted officers. They have a hell of a lot more equipment then when I was there and make their officers jump through more hoops, but fundamentally not much has changed.
        Last edited by Letmypeoplego; 05-12-2007, 03:05 PM. Reason: information correction

Comment

Originally posted by POCHEDDAR
          Jay with all due respect and no intention whatsoever twords you I would like to just clear up thet police and peace officer status is very diffrent indeed. Police officer status comes with many more powers and duties. Thats why there training is between the 700 and 800 hour range. Peace officers are in the 40 hour range. Police have more power where they can do any kind of complaint they want including traffic and misdemeanors, wheather they are on duty or not. They have the ability to persue on the report of another for example and dont neccissarily have to be a witness to a crime in order to investigate one. Peace officers can process thier own arrests but can only act if WITNESS to a felony. They are obviously granted full carry of thier firearm, Its just that their authority and training is alot less than that of a police officer.
          No prob, for the most part I know peace officers are no sworn officers like police and your right police officers carry way more responsibility than a peace officer.

Comment

Cpl 140.25

It is not necessary for a peace officer to witness a felony, he must witness a misdemeanor or violation. Section 140.25 Paragraph 3 sub (b)

Comment

Co-Op City P/O's are not peace officers as described in the CPL. they are special patrolmen and have law enforcement powers (limited) only when on duty. Off duty they are civilians. They can only carry firearms via an NYPD pistol permit, not on their shield and ID.

Comment

Please truly research your answers before you post.There are some differences between Police Officers and Peace Officers.....the chief being the ability to execute warrants (and even there there are exceptions for Court Officers and bench warrants and Probation Officers and probation warrants). The State of New York grants Peace Officer status (with its concomitant arrest powers) to a wide and varied list of titles. Many of these titles may only exercise their arrest power while engaged in their special duties (i.e., weights and markets investigators checking scales, etc, firefighters at a fire handling crowd control and getting vehicles moved). Other titles such as Correction Officer or Court Officer are empowered to enforce all the laws of the State. These officers have the same duties and obligations as Police Officers only limited by the area or facility they are assigned to.

Peace Officers are limited by their "Special Duties" (which laws are to enforced by the title, see examples above) in making arrests. CPL Section 140 and its subsections delineates the powers of Police Officers and Peace Officers to make warrantless arrests. A close study will show that there are small differences between the two groups.

Comment

interesting- like the discussions on the TBTA officers and the NYSUPD officers-here in Ca. every police officer /Deputy sheriff/highway patrol officer is a "peace" officer-the only delineation is between municipal/county sheriff/dist Atty Inv 830.1 PC-highest status,state peace officer,830.2 PC(CHP,Univ.of Calif system,Cal.State univ.system,State park Ranger,State fish and Game warden) ,then State invs,830.3 (Lotto ,insurance,state fire marshal,dept of health) everybody else,from 830.31 to 830.8(federal peaceofficers operating in CA) is considered a "district or specialized Peace officer",ala School PD,Community college,Airports,ports,Railroad,transit,municipal or county park Rangers,National guardsmen,municipal/county/district water mgm't,even down to priv. college or medical facility ,probation and correction officers.While there are some limits- mainly the district Peace officers are held on what their primary jurisdiction is, ANY CA. peace officer can make an arrest, warrantless or with warrant ,anywhere in the State of Calif as to a violation of the Ca. penal code,or subsequent state statutes,and pursue a suspect anywhere within the state.also,although there is a min. for training to be called a peace officer - usually 80-120 hrs under the PC 832,many follow the State POST guidelines and the min has gone up to 800+ hrs before you can even go in the field.It seems like alot of NY states limits on P/O authority go hand in hand with firearms limits-maybe its a fear of liability or infringement on citizens rights? although we have jurisdictional issues here sometimes,it is a "you saw it,you handle it" kind of policy in CA for many PDs and L.E.Depts- only rarely do other depts hand off crimes,and thats when they handle things as a "courtesy" to that primary agency in which the jursidiction falls.If the current system works for NY police officers/peace officers,fine- but it seems silly to joust about who has more this or that if the job is getting done........
                  "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202 View Post
                    Are Co-Op City Police real police? Some of my friends that are NYPD officers claim that they are security guards who call themselves police yet I did some research and found that they have a ESU, detectives, etc.

What gives? Im thinking that like the SCPD, the NYPD thinks they are the only agency in the land and refuses to admit that anyone else has police officer status?
                    question- what do you want to do?do you want to be a police officer or do you want a job thats in or performs a L.E. function? if you want to be a Police officer,apply for the agencies you named,but if you want to be in a job that has a L.E. function and you think its BEST suited fro you,apply for someone like this Co-Op PD.no matter what someone sez or thinks,it up to you as the individual to be happy-find a job you feel fits you and gives you what you need -$$ ,benefits,sense of purpose.I know of a poster here who joined a dept called the DEC (DEP?) police,but was getting ragged on for supposedly NOT being the "Real police"-he posted his pay and training and benefits ,and to me- it sounded like he found his "ticket",while a bunch of folks were getting blown out of the "real cop" process and had no job.........
                    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
                      question- what do you want to do?do you want to be a police officer or do you want a job thats in or performs a L.E. function? if you want to be a Police officer,apply for the agencies you named,but if you want to be in a job that has a L.E. function and you think its BEST suited fro you,apply for someone like this Co-Op PD.no matter what someone sez or thinks,it up to you as the individual to be happy-find a job you feel fits you and gives you what you need -$$ ,benefits,sense of purpose.I know of a poster here who joined a dept called the DEC (DEP?) police,but was getting ragged on for supposedly NOT being the "Real police"-he posted his pay and training and benefits ,and to me- it sounded like he found his "ticket",while a bunch of folks were getting blown out of the "real cop" process and had no job.........
                      You probably mean the NYC Dept. of Environmental Protection Police ... they patrol the reservoirs in the Catskills.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NYC_DEP_Police

Comment

Warrantless arrest by peace officer acting according to his special duties:
                        CPL 140.25 Par 1 sub a an offense committed in his presence (i.e,. violation, etc.) sub b any crime (felony or misdemeanor) in his presence or not.

See 140.10 (arrest by police officer) 1 sub a& b....same limitations, except that all police officers have the same special duties..

Comment

Well like one stated the NYPD is not the only game in town, what I don't like is a private agency has to go through the NYPD to get special patrolman status instead of going through the state. Thats b.s

In NYC you have the Sheriffs dept, Corrections, state police, state dep police, nyc dep police and nys courts.

NYPD is not the only game in town, are they the largest force? yes but they don't our rank any other agency. They aren't the only REAL police as some on nypd would say

Comment

Originally posted by Jayc6018 View Post
                            Well like one stated the NYPD is not the only game in town, what I don't like is a private agency has to go through the NYPD to get special patrolman status instead of going through the state. Thats b.s

In NYC you have the Sheriffs dept, Corrections, state police, state dep police, nyc dep police and nys courts.

NYPD is not the only game in town, are they the largest force? yes but they don't our rank any other agency. They aren't the only REAL police as some on nypd would say
                            Same story out in Suffolk ... the County PD trys to worm their way into everything and act as if they are the supreme cops in the land. I recall several instances where SCPD officers have physically assaulted state troopers, Suffolk County deputy sheriffs, etc because <gasp> they had the guts to make a traffic stop or respond to a call on SCPD turf. I mean how dare they step on the toes of the all mighty supreme SCPD

SCPD isent even a real county police force ... they only patrol half the county. Within the police district patrolled by the SCPD their are several villages which have their own PD (such as Amityville, Northport, Ocean Beach, etc) who have specialized services provided by the SCPD and the towns and other villages have quasi police forces (such as Patchogue Village Constables). The East End has town and village police forces and the Suffolk County Sheriff's Office backs them up as needed.

Comment

ok right

Actually by City charter, the NYPD is the only police dept actually rsponsible
                              for the maintaining of law and order in the city of New York. This is why all matters eventually pass under their purview. Other agencys are "niche" departments. It doesn't make them lesser anything, they have special concerns. Transit, Housing, Sanitation, Hospital, Courts, all have their place and their duties. It is what it is. The NYPD is the 800 lb gorilla of law enforcement, just as I'm sure the LAPD, Philly and Chicago Pds are in their own right.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5864 users online. 332 members and 5532 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X