Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Part Time Police Officer Agencies

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Part Time Police Officer Agencies

    Just out of curiosity.

    Does anybody know which departments in Westchester, Rockland, Orange, and Putnam hire part time police officers?

  • #2
    Two that I know of are Brewster and North Salem.

    Comment


    • #3
      You can also look here:

      https://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/o...d-agencies.htm

      But this DCJS list is only accredited agencies, for instance Brewster PD is not on this list.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'll also add Lewisboro in Westchester

        Comment


        • #5
          Also Cold Spring and Somers
          RETIRED 9-16-10

          Comment


          • #6
            Back in the late 1980's and early 1990's I was a small town chief. Under considerable pressure from city council due to budget restrictions, I tried using part-time officers for a few years. Major problem was the additional time requirements other than assigned shifts (court appearances, mandatory training requirements, etc), which resulted in a sharp spike in overtime. Council members never seemed to understand that a part-timer might be scheduled for 16 hours per week, but payroll records frequently reported 20 or more hours for pay purposes. Also, over months and years the accumulation of paid time off (sick leave, vacation time, etc) became a serious headache; again, council members couldn't seem to wrap their minds around the facts of life in law enforcement.

            Eventually I was able to get back to full-time positions only. That eased a lot of the tension, especially at council meetings and budget reviews.

            Personally, I would be reluctant to serve as a part-time cop. Too many ways that it can add stress to family life, primary employment, and other aspects of life in general. Since retirement I have served as a volunteer conducting police academy classes and in-service training, assisted with hiring processes (backgrounds, oral boards), and consulted on financial crimes (my specialty over the years), but I do those things without compensation. About the only thing I regularly receive in return is my SB218-LEOSA endorsement on my concealed handgun permit.

            Comment


            • #7
              How do these agencies listed above hire? Is it a civil Service test?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by PD3090 View Post
                How do these agencies listed above hire? Is it a civil Service test?
                I don't think so. The ones that I know of just take resumes or letters. Many of the part-timers are retired from full-time police jobs or continue to work full-time jobs. I don't think any of these agencies would pay for you to go to an academy either.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The best way to become a part time police officer in the Hudson Valley area is to take Phase I at either Rockland County (Full Time academy) or Ulster County (Part Time or Full Time academy)

                  This will give you about 85% of the training and makes it much more likely for an agency to hire you part time and send you to the remaining 15%. If you are looking to get sponsored for the whole academy you pretty much need to be politically connected.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by vc859 View Post
                    The best way to become a part time police officer in the Hudson Valley area is to take Phase I at either Rockland County (Full Time academy) or Ulster County (Part Time or Full Time academy)

                    This will give you about 85% of the training and makes it much more likely for an agency to hire you part time and send you to the remaining 15%. If you are looking to get sponsored for the whole academy you pretty much need to be politically connected.


                    Thanks for the info!!! I will look into the part time academy at Ulster County!!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      There are many agencies throughout the region with part timers, I'm sure I'll miss a lot but off the top of my head..

                      Orange County: Town of Mt Hope, Town of Newburgh, Tuxedo park, Town of Wallkill, Chester (village I believe), Montgomery (village?), Town of Deerpark, Harriman, and Cornwall I believe.

                      Kent in Putnam also is part time

                      Comment


                      • vc859
                        vc859 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I believe Town of Newburgh only hires experienced part timers who are OTJ in other agencies.

                        Also I believe a few years ago Village of Montgomery got rid of their part timers due to budget cuts. They may have brought them back though

                        You can also add

                        OCSO- Believe you need full academy and are mostly school safety officers
                        V/Greenwood Lake
                        T/Warwick- mostly NYPD retirees and/or residents
                        T/Crawford- believe you need full academy prior to hire
                        V/Florida - mostly retired officers and residents
                        T/Goshen - mostly retired and those with other OTJ positions
                        V/Goshen
                        C/Middletown- maybe? I know they were talking about them but only for downtown foot patrol
                        V/Cornwall on Hudson - possibly?
                        V/Washingtonville - possibly?
                        Last edited by vc859; 10-22-2019, 10:14 PM.

                    • #12
                      Does anyone know if any of these agencies are actively hiring part timers?

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        I don't unfortunately. Your best bet is probably just to call or visit in person.

                        If you have phase 1 and want to be busy you can try Town of Wallkill. They probably have the most officers of any of the Orange County agencies that hire part time and go through officers quick.

                        Also try Village of Goshen. The last time I was at Great American Weekend they had scores of young part time officers working the event although they may only work events and not patrol. I don't know how that works

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Walden also has part timers and the cops that work there are pretty squared away

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Thanks for the info guys!!!!

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 12666 users online. 494 members and 12172 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X