Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out-of-Towner to NYPD

Hey everyone,

I'm a soon to be college graduate from the Cleveland, Ohio area. I took the NYPD written test a couple years back, and I am considering moving to NYC to join the PD. I'm well aware of the turnover rate among officers, and the poor pay and high cost of living.
    Anyways, I was wondering if there is anyone on this forum who is an officer with the NYPD, that joined the department as an out-of-state candidate like myself.
    I would like to know how you made the move, found a place to live, survived on the low starting salary, and got adjusted to the city. Also, any other information that could help me out in my decision would be appreciated.

Thank you.

No offense, but I just can't understand why someone from Ohio would want to move here, and work for the NYPD?

http://p066.ezboard.com/fnypdrant64609frm1

Check out that link, you will get a real deal idea of what it's like working for the city of New York.

Comment

I love the rant. I check out that board quite a bit.
      They have some creative and funny guys on that PD.
      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by wdr2 View Post
        Hey everyone,

I'm a soon to be college graduate from the Cleveland, Ohio area. I took the NYPD written test a couple years back, and I am considering moving to NYC to join the PD. I'm well aware of the turnover rate among officers, and the poor pay and high cost of living.
        Anyways, I was wondering if there is anyone on this forum who is an officer with the NYPD, that joined the department as an out-of-state candidate like myself.
        I would like to know how you made the move, found a place to live, survived on the low starting salary, and got adjusted to the city. Also, any other information that could help me out in my decision would be appreciated.

Thank you.
        I'm not an NYPD officer, but I'm also a current out-of-stater moving back to NYC to join the NYPD. I'll be taking the written test in June, so maybe if they're desperate enough and I get all my ducks in a row I'll see you in July's academy.

Anyway, I'm responding because maybe I can give you some insight into the issues you might have. I moved to NYC back in 2004 as a New York City Teaching Fellow. They trained me as a teacher and placed me into a "failing"/"at-risk" middle school in the Bed-Stuy neighborhood of Brooklyn, where I taught for two years. I was coming to Brooklyn straight from college in Virginia. On my $39k/year brand-new teacher salary, I was able to afford $1000/month rent on my apartment, live alone, buy groceries, pay bills, and so on - but not save a penny. It was definitely paycheck-to-paycheck. On $25k/year, you'll need roommates and possibly you'll need to live in a less-than-lovely neighborhood. It's about $1200/month take-home after taxes and all that, so figure on spending no more six hundred bucks on rent. Bills and food will take the rest.

It's doable, but tough. Living in Manhattan is probably out of the question. I'd recommend looking at neighborhoods in Brooklyn, like the Williamsburg, East Williamsburg, and Bushwick areas. (Part of Bushwick ain't bad and part of it is a pit, so make sure and give the immediate area around any apartment there a thorough exploring before signing a lease.) Anything near the L train would be ideal, since that'll take you into Manhattan quickly and relatively close to the NYPD's academy. If you get disillusioned about a lack of stuff to do near your apartment, don't fret too much: public transit in NYC is superb and you can generally get anywhere you want pretty quickly for a measly $2 (even less if you buy a monthly MetroCard).

Have you looked at the message boards on NYPD's Trainee site? There's a section for people looking for roommates. Thin pickings, but might be worth having a look. Craigslist is also very useful for finding a place to live.

Also, be ready to show up in NYC with a good-sized pile of cash, if you can. If not, you may need to borrow a few thousand dollars to get on your feet. Maybe from a parent, or something? You'll need first and last month's rent when you sign a lease, plus more cash for miscellaneous expenses of course. I also hear there's a pretty significant investment in equipment when you start academy, as well.

Hope this is helpful.
        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"You've got to be good in this business, but you've got to get a lot of breaks. If you don't realize that, if you really think you're sitting here because of your genius or anything, I don't know, maybe your background is different, but I got my butt kicked a lot at every level, including this one."

- Stan Van Gundy

Comment

You guys are completely out of your minds to even consider nypd a career and you can't even lateral to other departments from the nypd

Comment

Originally posted by Back to NYC View Post
            I'm not an NYPD officer, but I'm also a current out-of-stater moving back to NYC to join the NYPD. I'll be taking the written test in June, so maybe if they're desperate enough and I get all my ducks in a row I'll see you in July's academy.

Anyway, I'm responding because maybe I can give you some insight into the issues you might have. I moved to NYC back in 2004 as a New York City Teaching Fellow. They trained me as a teacher and placed me into a "failing"/"at-risk" middle school in the Bed-Stuy neighborhood of Brooklyn, where I taught for two years. I was coming to Brooklyn straight from college in Virginia. On my $39k/year brand-new teacher salary, I was able to afford $1000/month rent on my apartment, live alone, buy groceries, pay bills, and so on - but not save a penny. It was definitely paycheck-to-paycheck. On $25k/year, you'll need roommates and possibly you'll need to live in a less-than-lovely neighborhood. It's about $1200/month take-home after taxes and all that, so figure on spending no more six hundred bucks on rent. Bills and food will take the rest.

It's doable, but tough. Living in Manhattan is probably out of the question. I'd recommend looking at neighborhoods in Brooklyn, like the Williamsburg, East Williamsburg, and Bushwick areas. (Part of Bushwick ain't bad and part of it is a pit, so make sure and give the immediate area around any apartment there a thorough exploring before signing a lease.) Anything near the L train would be ideal, since that'll take you into Manhattan quickly and relatively close to the NYPD's academy. If you get disillusioned about a lack of stuff to do near your apartment, don't fret too much: public transit in NYC is superb and you can generally get anywhere you want pretty quickly for a measly $2 (even less if you buy a monthly MetroCard).

Have you looked at the message boards on NYPD's Trainee site? There's a section for people looking for roommates. Thin pickings, but might be worth having a look. Craigslist is also very useful for finding a place to live.

Also, be ready to show up in NYC with a good-sized pile of cash, if you can. If not, you may need to borrow a few thousand dollars to get on your feet. Maybe from a parent, or something? You'll need first and last month's rent when you sign a lease, plus more cash for miscellaneous expenses of course. I also hear there's a pretty significant investment in equipment when you start academy, as well.

Hope this is helpful.

Dude you will not make the July class. You wil be in the January class.
            NYPD Exam #5047
            Reopening my case this year. Will have 60 credits before years end.

Comment

Originally posted by dont h8 dre View Post
              Dude you will not make the July class. You wil be in the January class.
              Either or is fine. If January, I substitute teach or whatever and save money til then. If July, I get started early. Whichever is great. Half the people I've talked to have said the process is so slow I won't get in til January, and the other half have said that they're so desperate for recruits (only like 800 ready to go for July, when they need 1800+ just to beat attrition) that they'll rush a bunch of people through to fill seats in the academy.
              Last edited by Back to NYC; 05-20-2007, 09:31 PM.
              Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"You've got to be good in this business, but you've got to get a lot of breaks. If you don't realize that, if you really think you're sitting here because of your genius or anything, I don't know, maybe your background is different, but I got my butt kicked a lot at every level, including this one."

- Stan Van Gundy

Comment

Not gonna happen if thats the case they wouldve been calling me. I passed with a 100 but since i dont have all the credits is why i havent been able to get in.
                NYPD Exam #5047

Comment

Originally posted by dont h8 dre View Post
                  Not gonna happen if thats the case they wouldve been calling me. I passed with a 100 but since i dont have all the credits is why i havent been able to get in.
                  The process isn't slow by any means. They would have called you first to do your medical and general paper work to get you started. Especially if you scored 100, they would have called you the next month after you took the exam. Trust

APD in the NYPD work really quick cause they are trying to fill those seats

Comment

So your telling me that if i call the APD and say look i wanna continue the process to become a NYPD officer i would get into the the July class
                    NYPD Exam #5047

Comment

Not if you don't have the 60 college credits that are required.

Comment

No i dont have all the credits. THis is what i am talking bout. If your taking a test in June. You wont get your test results till the first or second week of July. meaning you have less then 5 days to have everything done.
                        NYPD Exam #5047

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5883 users online. 346 members and 5537 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X