Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lafayette
    replied
    Just an update. I took the exam today and scored 84/85. I'm not sure what happens next.

Leave a comment:

• Lafayette
    replied
    Originally posted by RequestingMeal View Post
    Been there done that...
    3 years buyback is available to purchase at 5 years of service and the cost is 3% of your total pay of your previous 12 months. To make math easy...For example, you made 100k...3% of that times 3 years is what you pay...so you're looking at around $10k total. Pays to buy the time back as soon as you're eligible before you hit top pay. You're able to retire 3 years early
    College will be hard as a rookie cop, but once you get to a steady tour, it's doable. Not always easy, but not impossible (online courses make it easier). If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    When I went through, I had the pre 9/11 GI Bill, never had a problem getting paid during and after the academy while eligible. It's much better now with the $$$$

And if you have scheduled annual vacation that you picked with the department, no, you do not get hit with a detail at the last moment and have to cancel your plans. That is a lie.

Take the test ASAP to get on a list.

Good luck, it's a good job & as always it depends on what you make of it.
    Thank you for the reply, the information you've provided has really helped. I will get on that list for the test ASAP.

Leave a comment:

• RequestingMeal
    replied
    Been there done that...
    3 years buyback is available to purchase at 5 years of service and the cost is 3% of your total pay of your previous 12 months. To make math easy...For example, you made 100k...3% of that times 3 years is what you pay...so you're looking at around $10k total. Pays to buy the time back as soon as you're eligible before you hit top pay. You're able to retire 3 years early
    College will be hard as a rookie cop, but once you get to a steady tour, it's doable. Not always easy, but not impossible (online courses make it easier). If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    When I went through, I had the pre 9/11 GI Bill, never had a problem getting paid during and after the academy while eligible. It's much better now with the $$$$

And if you have scheduled annual vacation that you picked with the department, no, you do not get hit with a detail at the last moment and have to cancel your plans. That is a lie.

Take the test ASAP to get on a list.

Good luck, it's a good job & as always it depends on what you make of it.

Leave a comment:

• Lafayette
    replied
    Originally posted by HighwayBob View Post

We can do the same. You have to pay some amount of money into the pension system (not sure if it's the equivalent of three years worth of actual pension contributions) then you get credit for those years and they count towards retirement.
    Thank you! That's very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• HighwayBob
    replied
    Originally posted by Lafayette View Post
    What does it actually mean when they say that veterans can "buy back" three years of service so that they can retire early? How do you buy it back? Or have you bought it back by serving already?
    We can do the same. You have to pay some amount of money into the pension system (not sure if it's the equivalent of three years worth of actual pension contributions) then you get credit for those years and they count towards retirement.

Leave a comment:

• Lafayette
    replied
    What does it actually mean when they say that veterans can "buy back" three years of service so that they can retire early? How do you buy it back? Or have you bought it back by serving already?

Leave a comment:

• Segurosky3410
    commented on 's reply
    Veterans are in the list indefinitely

• HighwayBob
    replied

That's a fair enough statement.

Are the day time schedules more appealing to Police Officers than the late and night shifts? If so, are shift swaps something you're able to do?

I'm in the military, I'm used to having my vacation plans ruined by people above me.

I'm not NYPD and I'm not sure but I've never heard of them being able to do mutuals.

As far as schedules, it's a personal preference. From my experience dealing with NYPD it >seems< as though the 4x12 is a favorite, but it really depends on the individual.

Leave a comment:

• Lafayette
    replied
    Originally posted by HighwayBob View Post

Good luck with that.

I wouldn't count on working any type of a steady schedule for quite a long time. NYPD is one of the worst jobs in that regard. And I've heard plenty of stories of cops with vacation plans and tickets booked going to sign out and getting hit with being ordered in the next day and having to cancel their plans.
    That's a fair enough statement.

Are the day time schedules more appealing to Police Officers than the late and night shifts? If so, are shift swaps something you're able to do?

I'm in the military, I'm used to having my vacation plans ruined by people above me.

Leave a comment:

• HighwayBob
    replied
    What I have to make sure of is whether or not John Jay is flexible for those that are going to court, or have a special assignment or overtime?
    Good luck with that.

I wouldn't count on working any type of a steady schedule for quite a long time. NYPD is one of the worst jobs in that regard. And I've heard plenty of stories of cops with vacation plans and tickets booked going to sign out and getting hit with being ordered in the next day and having to cancel their plans.

Leave a comment:

• Lafayette
    replied
    Originally posted by SVO1983 View Post
    Everyone who’s telling you it’s not as feasible to go to school full time and be a cop is just talking from experience. You might be able to do it but it sounds easier than done specially as a rookie cop. A CJ degree doesn’t really help when it comes to being a cop anyhow, you can get a underwater basket weaving masters and it would be the same thing. Also if you just want to be a cop for the mean time perhaps you might be better off finding another path that will suit your future Plans. Best of luck
    Thank you for your reply. I can handle not doing college as a rookie. I just want to be able to finish my degree in a reasonable amount of time.

It's not really a mean time thing either. The goal is a career in law enforcement/inspection and oversight.

Leave a comment:

• Lafayette
    replied
    Originally posted by NYP32 View Post
    Screenshot_20191005-185337_Adobe Acrobat.jpg Take the test this December and by the time you get discharged you'll be ready for hire.
    I just filled in the online form and I'll see if I can get booked in for the examination.

Leave a comment:

• SVO1983
    replied
    Everyone who’s telling you it’s not as feasible to go to school full time and be a cop is just talking from experience. You might be able to do it but it sounds easier than done specially as a rookie cop. A CJ degree doesn’t really help when it comes to being a cop anyhow, you can get a underwater basket weaving masters and it would be the same thing. Also if you just want to be a cop for the mean time perhaps you might be better off finding another path that will suit your future Plans. Best of luck

Leave a comment:

• NYP32
    replied
    Screenshot_20191005-185337_Adobe Acrobat.jpg Take the test this December and by the time you get discharged you'll be ready for hire.

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    1-3 years average, vets included.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6605 users online. 457 members and 6148 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X