Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lafayette View Post

That's a fair enough statement.

Are the day time schedules more appealing to Police Officers than the late and night shifts? If so, are shift swaps something you're able to do?

I'm in the military, I'm used to having my vacation plans ruined by people above me.

I'm not NYPD and I'm not sure but I've never heard of them being able to do mutuals.

As far as schedules, it's a personal preference. From my experience dealing with NYPD it >seems< as though the 4x12 is a favorite, but it really depends on the individual.

Comment

What does it actually mean when they say that veterans can "buy back" three years of service so that they can retire early? How do you buy it back? Or have you bought it back by serving already?

Comment

Originally posted by Lafayette View Post
        What does it actually mean when they say that veterans can "buy back" three years of service so that they can retire early? How do you buy it back? Or have you bought it back by serving already?
        We can do the same. You have to pay some amount of money into the pension system (not sure if it's the equivalent of three years worth of actual pension contributions) then you get credit for those years and they count towards retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayBob View Post

We can do the same. You have to pay some amount of money into the pension system (not sure if it's the equivalent of three years worth of actual pension contributions) then you get credit for those years and they count towards retirement.
          Thank you! That's very helpful.

Comment

Been there done that...
            3 years buyback is available to purchase at 5 years of service and the cost is 3% of your total pay of your previous 12 months. To make math easy...For example, you made 100k...3% of that times 3 years is what you pay...so you're looking at around $10k total. Pays to buy the time back as soon as you're eligible before you hit top pay. You're able to retire 3 years early
            College will be hard as a rookie cop, but once you get to a steady tour, it's doable. Not always easy, but not impossible (online courses make it easier). If it was easy, everyone would do it.
            When I went through, I had the pre 9/11 GI Bill, never had a problem getting paid during and after the academy while eligible. It's much better now with the $$$$

And if you have scheduled annual vacation that you picked with the department, no, you do not get hit with a detail at the last moment and have to cancel your plans. That is a lie.

Take the test ASAP to get on a list.

Good luck, it's a good job & as always it depends on what you make of it.

Comment

Originally posted by RequestingMeal View Post
              Been there done that...
              3 years buyback is available to purchase at 5 years of service and the cost is 3% of your total pay of your previous 12 months. To make math easy...For example, you made 100k...3% of that times 3 years is what you pay...so you're looking at around $10k total. Pays to buy the time back as soon as you're eligible before you hit top pay. You're able to retire 3 years early
              College will be hard as a rookie cop, but once you get to a steady tour, it's doable. Not always easy, but not impossible (online courses make it easier). If it was easy, everyone would do it.
              When I went through, I had the pre 9/11 GI Bill, never had a problem getting paid during and after the academy while eligible. It's much better now with the $$$$

And if you have scheduled annual vacation that you picked with the department, no, you do not get hit with a detail at the last moment and have to cancel your plans. That is a lie.

Take the test ASAP to get on a list.

Good luck, it's a good job & as always it depends on what you make of it.
              Thank you for the reply, the information you've provided has really helped. I will get on that list for the test ASAP.

Comment

Just an update. I took the exam today and scored 84/85. I'm not sure what happens next.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6451 users online. 455 members and 5996 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X