Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veterans and NYPD Hiring

Good Evening All,

I'm 34 and currently serving in the military (Active Duty). I've been serving for almost 4 years and may be leaving within the next year or two to go into the reserves.

I'm particularly interested in studying at John Jay College of Criminal Justice and obtaining my BS/MPA from there.

In the mean time, I'm also interested in potentially working with the NYPD as a police officer.

I'd love to have some questions answered if any veterans who joined the NYPD could assist me.

1. I understand that you can use your GI Bill at the Academy, how does that work and what is the benefit? Is it any use to do that if we're trying to obtain our BS/MPA from John Jay?
    2. The NYPD Website says "Veterans can buy back three years of their military time to be applied to their NYPD retirement." What does that mean exactly? Does it only mean that we could retire three years early or does it also mean that we would get the benefits given to us of someone who has been an NYPD Police Officer for three years, including salary, paid leave, etc?
    3. How hard is it to study at John Jay and work for the NYPD at the same time? I understand that there'd be a lot of hours put into the Academy but I'm referring to afterwards.

Any assistance provided would be greatly appreciated.

I can't comment on point 1 but for point 2 it means that you can retire 3 years early. You don't start at a higher salary step or anything like that. As far as studying while on the job it's not easy but possible. You can work an overnight shift and leave for school in the morning, or do school in the morning before a 4x12 tour.

Comment

@layafette if you use your GI Bill during the Academy and your at 100% you can double.dip, 100% preferably so you can get max stipend, get paid from the NYPD and also the government. The government will pay you BAH, that's over 5Gs a month if you combine both and as you know BAH not taxable income. 2. When you buy back military time, that's years off your retirement. So the above poster is correct. So example retirement is 20 years, u buy back 3 years, now it's 17 years. 3. John Jay is very flexible with NYPD cops, I know because lot of members in my unit are NYPD. Plus is not like u will be insanely going hard. John Jay gives NYPD academy like 30 college credits. There goes your major KO. Veterans exams are kept indefinitely. In regards to Military and civilian police, from what i seen with others, NYPD top notch with military friendliness over other departments. Nassau is great as well because they pay you full pay instead of a stipend
      Last edited by Segurosky3410; 10-02-2019, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies so far, they've been really helpful.

I hear you Segurosky3410, I suppose there might be better pay outside of the NYPD but I am looking quite favorably upon them.

I am just trying to figure out is it better to just not try and join the NYPD first and study fulltime at John Jay or to try and do both at the same time? Years of service plus the steady extra paycheck in addition to the GI Bill will be very helpful in the long run I think.

I'm really interested in the BS in Criminal Justice Management and MPA in Inspection and Oversight so if I could work and study at the same time that would be great.

Comment

• Segurosky3410
          Segurosky3410 commented
          Editing a comment
          If you graduate NYPD academy you earn 30 college credits in criminal justice. U can work and go to school at the same time, but it's going to be difficult. Yes, there's better department outside of NY. Even look at being hired from the government.

You won’t be a full time student while working a cop job.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
          You won’t be a full time student while working a cop job.
          Even if I'm working nights or late afternoons?

Comment

Shifts rotate, court, late details, etc., ever thought of sleeping, life needs, studying, things like that?

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              Shifts rotate, court, late details, etc., ever thought of sleeping, life needs, studying, things like that?
              3cgnwb.jpg

Right now I am an active duty Sailor in the Navy, I part own a business that I actually work in on weekends when I can and administer it other times, and I also study college courses.

What I have to make sure of is whether or not John Jay is flexible for those that are going to court, or have a special assignment or overtime?

Nevertheless, I am curious to know. I hear it takes some extended period of time for you to go through the hiring process for the NYPD even after you pass the exam, right? Sometimes years? Does that also apply to Veterans?

Thanks!

Comment

• Segurosky3410
                Segurosky3410 commented
                Editing a comment
                Veterans are in the list indefinitely

1-3 years average, vets included.

Comment

Screenshot_20191005-185337_Adobe Acrobat.jpg Take the test this December and by the time you get discharged you'll be ready for hire.

Comment

Everyone who’s telling you it’s not as feasible to go to school full time and be a cop is just talking from experience. You might be able to do it but it sounds easier than done specially as a rookie cop. A CJ degree doesn’t really help when it comes to being a cop anyhow, you can get a underwater basket weaving masters and it would be the same thing. Also if you just want to be a cop for the mean time perhaps you might be better off finding another path that will suit your future Plans. Best of luck
                  stay humble

Comment

Originally posted by NYP32 View Post
                    Screenshot_20191005-185337_Adobe Acrobat.jpg Take the test this December and by the time you get discharged you'll be ready for hire.
                    I just filled in the online form and I'll see if I can get booked in for the examination.

Comment

Originally posted by SVO1983 View Post
                      Everyone who’s telling you it’s not as feasible to go to school full time and be a cop is just talking from experience. You might be able to do it but it sounds easier than done specially as a rookie cop. A CJ degree doesn’t really help when it comes to being a cop anyhow, you can get a underwater basket weaving masters and it would be the same thing. Also if you just want to be a cop for the mean time perhaps you might be better off finding another path that will suit your future Plans. Best of luck
                      Thank you for your reply. I can handle not doing college as a rookie. I just want to be able to finish my degree in a reasonable amount of time.

It's not really a mean time thing either. The goal is a career in law enforcement/inspection and oversight.

Comment

Originally posted by Lafayette View Post
                        What I have to make sure of is whether or not John Jay is flexible for those that are going to court, or have a special assignment or overtime?
                        Good luck with that.

I wouldn't count on working any type of a steady schedule for quite a long time. NYPD is one of the worst jobs in that regard. And I've heard plenty of stories of cops with vacation plans and tickets booked going to sign out and getting hit with being ordered in the next day and having to cancel their plans.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayBob View Post

Good luck with that.

I wouldn't count on working any type of a steady schedule for quite a long time. NYPD is one of the worst jobs in that regard. And I've heard plenty of stories of cops with vacation plans and tickets booked going to sign out and getting hit with being ordered in the next day and having to cancel their plans.
                          That's a fair enough statement.

Are the day time schedules more appealing to Police Officers than the late and night shifts? If so, are shift swaps something you're able to do?

I'm in the military, I'm used to having my vacation plans ruined by people above me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8078 users online. 381 members and 7697 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X