Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD Misdiagnosed ADHD

Hi guys,

This is a question I haven’t seen answered fully. I’ve seen snippets, but nothing full.

I took test 7323 for the NYPD. I spent the last 2 years overseas working for a US ally and now that I am back, I am planning on filling out the APD5 I was sent ~2 years ago.

From 2014-2016 (after I got out of the army) I was prescribed adderall by my primary care physician. I was running a restaurant and my doctor felt like it would help me focus and be more productive, which it did. Fast forward to 2016 and I returned to college and noticed that I was doing worse with actual learning on adderall than without it, so I stopped. The restaurant work didn’t require a lot of academia, it more required me to be constantly moving and energetic (if you’ve run a restaurant you know). If I get a letter from a psychiatrist (I’m going to the VA for this) that says I don’t have ADHD and that I might have been misdiagnosed, do you think I will be flagged for review and will I be hired?

Thank you for your time.

Probably will raise red flag........your new doctor will have to explain a mis diagnosis from 5 years ago. Especially since you admit the med helped.
    Last edited by Dinosaur32; 09-08-2019, 07:23 AM.

Comment

If the psychiatrist says that a primary care doctor shouldn’t be prescribing adhd meds, wouldn’t that undo it?

Comment

No........You are going to have to provide expert evidence that your primary care doctor was acting outside his range of abilities. That’s an almost impossible task. What doctor is going to testify that a licensed physician made an error 5 years ago? Especially since the treatment was successful?

Comment

Yea that’s a fair point. So if the letter says that I don’t have adhd now and don’t need medication, do you think I will get passed review? I don’t have so much as a speeding ticket. I have 5.5 years of military experience (3 deployments) and I’m one semester away from graduating with my BA.

Comment

So you were an adult when the doctor prescribed the adderall. And you are applying to get into a very stressful occupation.
            I see a number of probing questions coming from the psychs.

Comment

What kind of questions? I was a CT sniper with the last group I was working with and had a terrorist use children as a human shield on my last little rendezvous so I think I can deal with the job.

Comment

Yes, I was an adult. I think I was misdiagnosed. I understand that adderall is supposed to help you focus, for me it made me jittery and unfocused more or less, but when I was in the restaurant my day consisted of constantly engaging people for short periods of time and dealing with problems in the restaurant. I guess we’ll see what psych at the VA says. I’m supposed to get a call tomorrow from them. I don’t want to say being in the NYPD is my dream (I’m too old to talk like that), but I feel like police work is what I am best suited for and if I could do it anywhere I’d like to do it in my city. Are you NYPD by chance Dinosaur32?

Comment

I appreciate your responses by the way.

Comment

Not NYPD........

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper51 View Post
                      Hi guys,

This is a question I haven’t seen answered fully. I’ve seen snippets, but nothing full.

I took test 7323 for the NYPD. I spent the last 2 years overseas working for a US ally and now that I am back, I am planning on filling out the APD5 I was sent ~2 years ago.

From 2014-2016 (after I got out of the army) I was prescribed adderall by my primary care physician. I was running a restaurant and my doctor felt like it would help me focus and be more productive, which it did. Fast forward to 2016 and I returned to college and noticed that I was doing worse with actual learning on adderall than without it, so I stopped. The restaurant work didn’t require a lot of academia, it more required me to be constantly moving and energetic (if you’ve run a restaurant you know). If I get a letter from a psychiatrist (I’m going to the VA for this) that says I don’t have ADHD and that I might have been misdiagnosed, do you think I will be flagged for review and will I be hired?

Thank you for your time.
                      Law enforcement candidates are evaluated to determine if they are free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer, and to otherwise ensure that the candidate is capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position.

Whether you can be hired will depend on your mental state at the time of processing, as determined through a series of written and in person psychological evaluation as administered by a licensed psychologist.

While your previous history will be a factor in that evaluation, there key here is where you head is now as determined by testing.
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Just my two cents, but I don't believe anyone on these forums will be able to tell you whether this will cause a major issue or not. Unless there's a psychiatrist, NP, or other trained physician posting on here (which I doubt), or someone with experience in background investigations, the best you'll get is conjecture. I would recommend giving it your best shot. If it doesn't pan out, it sounds like you have a lot of real world experience that could translate elsewhere. Don't sell yourself short. The main concern I would highlight involves the substance itself. Not sure why a physician would prescribe what is tantamount to speed to someone having issues with focus in an employment setting. Where you ever officially diagnosed with a mental health disorder or did the PCP just fill out a script?

Not a cop by the way, social worker
                        Best of luck

Comment

• Sniper51
                          Sniper51 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Never seen a psychiatrist in my life. Primary care physician

Originally posted by blueshirts26 View Post
                        Just my two cents, but I don't believe anyone on these forums will be able to tell you whether this will cause a major issue or not. Unless there's a psychiatrist, NP, or other trained physician posting on here (which I doubt), or someone with experience in background investigations, the best you'll get is conjecture. I would recommend giving it your best shot. If it doesn't pan out, it sounds like you have a lot of real world experience that could translate elsewhere. Don't sell yourself short. The main concern I would highlight involves the substance itself. Not sure why a physician would prescribe what is tantamount to speed to someone having issues with focus in an employment setting. Where you ever officially diagnosed with a mental health disorder or did the PCP just fill out a script?

Not a cop by the way, social worker
                        Best of luck
                        This is EXACTLY why non LEOs should stop posting on here. You have NO idea what you’re talking about. Poster received information from MOS, who correctly informed him he WILL have issues due to his ADHD problems.

You, on the other hand, have ZERO to say about it.
                        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Sniper51
                          Sniper51 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          But I don’t have adhd....

• blueshirts26
                          blueshirts26 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          This is my point exactly. I'm a mental health professional and you are not. Period. Sending an emotionally disturbed person to the hospital does not imbue you with any understanding of mental health,.diagnoses, or medications. I can do that with my eyes closed. Or if that doesn't work, you can always wait for one of your buddies with a tazer and just shoot them anyway. Unless you have graduate level training in this like I do, mind your business. I'm weighing in here because OP asked a question about something that is in the DSM V, which I'm sure you've read. Not pretending to know anything outside of my education or experience unlike a majority of other folks on these forums.

• Iowa #1603
                          Iowa #1603 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          AND as a "mental health professional" YOU CAN'T say if the person has been misdiagnosed or not without examining him/her

Secondly.........................I highly doubt you have any experience with the hiring of LE personnel .....It too is a highly technical matter that involves a lot of experience......which you don't have.

Those of us that have done that job get pretty good at spotting clues and have probably heard every story there is.....and using that experience can make pretty good guesses as to what is going to happen here.

Therefore your input is still not valid
                          Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-09-2019, 12:04 PM.

What kind of questions? I was a CT sniper with the last group I was working with and had a terrorist use children as a human shield on my last little rendezvous so I think I can deal with the job.
                        Yes, I was an adult. I think I was misdiagnosed. I understand that adderall is supposed to help you focus, for me it made me jittery and unfocused more or less, but when I was in the restaurant my day consisted of constantly engaging people for short periods of time and dealing with problems in the restaurant. I guess we’ll see what psych at the VA says. I’m supposed to get a call tomorrow from them. I don’t want to say being in the NYPD is my dream (I’m too old to talk like that), but I feel like police work is what I am best suited for and if I could do it anywhere I’d like to do it in my city. Are you NYPD by chance Dinosaur32?
                        Being "successful" in a military role does not exactly transfer to being 'successful " as a police officer. Nor are the hiring requirements even close to being the same

The bottom line is that you feel that the adderal was effective helping you .(read your original post )...............so I would say that the "diagnosis" was fairly accurate. Now you want to reinvent yourself to meet a new set of expectations

The fact that you decided to self diagnose and STOP your prescribed medication rather than seeking a professional diagnosis from a licensed doctor is just another "problem" that I see which might affect your application

Dinosaur32 is a well know (on this forum )New York City area law enforcement officer

Hi guys,

From 2014-2016 (after I got out of the army) I was prescribed adderall by my primary care physician. I was running a restaurant and my doctor felt like it would help me focus and be more productive, which it did.Fast forward to 2016 and I returned to college and noticed that I was doing worse with actual learning on adderall than without it, so I stopped. The restaurant work didn’t require a lot of academia, it more required me to be constantly moving and energetic (if you’ve run a restaurant you know). If I get a letter from a psychiatrist (I’m going to the VA for this) that says I don’t have ADHD and that I might have been misdiagnosed, do you think I will be flagged for review and will I be hired?

Thank you for your time.
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Medication wasn’t working as intended and caused me issues with focus. When I switched from the restaurant to the classroom I found on the medication I was doing worse than off of it. The self diagnosing isn’t too far a stretch, but medication was prescribed by licensed physician. Never took any non prescribed drugs. I am going to see a psychiatrist to make a determination if I have adhd.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4791 users online. 230 members and 4561 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X