Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMH Police (Off. Mental Health)

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any info at all about this agency. I can't find any info at all about them. I have seen their Expeditions at and around Kings Park Psych Center.
    Whens the last time they hired anyone?

Originally posted by POCHEDDAR
    I think they just had a test but they aren't police officers even though they drive cars that say so. They have limited Peace officer status and do not carry firearms on or off duty. I hear the money and the hours are decent.
    I thought they had police officer powers on duty only like the LIMA Police?

Comment

I remember seeing one of them once at a hospital and I was like WTF?? He did had a heater though...
      "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

Their last test was a few years ago, but they will be giving another one in the beginning of 2008. It's currently listed in the tentative exam schedule on the nys civil service website (Safety and Security Officer is the technical civil service title).

As already stated, they do not carry firearms, only batons and handcuffs. There is considerable debate as to whether or not they have off-duty arrest powers, as the CPL gives them unlimited authority (by not saying that they don't), but the Mental Hygiene Law says they only have peace officer status, and thus arrest powers, while on duty. It really shouldn't matter though...since they are unarmed I can't imagine wanting to get involved off-duty.

The bottom line is that it's a decent job. The pay is decent and they have 25 year retirement. While on hospital property they act just like police, including making vehicle stops and issuing summonses. Even if you don't want to make a life-long career of it, it's a good way to get a job with arrest powers on your resume to make you more competitive for other LE jobs. I know that the VA police like to hire former SSOs.

Comment

that kind of reminds me of what we have in Maryland. DHMH ( Departmant of Health and Mental Hygiene) Police. They are the police at all of the state owned mental hospitals. They are fully certified through MPCTC. ( full arrest powers and armed and can carry on duty and off if Im not mistakened)
          "Damned if you do and damned if you dont"

Comment

What exactly does the mental hygiene law say? Under the CPL all peace officers have full time arrest powers unless explicitly noted in the law, i.e,. Long Island's Islip Airport Police. Agencies can put certain limitations on their peace officers, but generally, the CPL supercedes.

Many years ago the TBTA did not want their officers carrying firearms, but the CPL put no such restriction on the BTOs. The officers carried off-duty, but the agency did not allow on-duty carrying.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
              What exactly does the mental hygiene law say? Under the CPL all peace officers have full time arrest powers unless explicitly noted in the law, i.e,. Long Island's Islip Airport Police. Agencies can put certain limitations on their peace officers, but generally, the CPL supercedes.

Many years ago the TBTA did not want their officers carrying firearms, but the CPL put no such restriction on the BTOs. The officers carried off-duty, but the agency did not allow on-duty carrying.
              wow that really sounded kind of backwards. Ive never heard of such a thing. Carrying off duty but not carrying on duty

Comment

Any agency has the authority to administratively limit your power to carry a firearm on duty. The agency may also restrict an individual's firearm privileges for on and off-duty carry. There are Peace Officer titles in New York State where the officers are not allowed to carry without a carry permit. The agency can ask the local permit agency to not issue such permits to its officers.

Comment

Originally posted by DPS55 View Post
                  wow that really sounded kind of backwards. Ive never heard of such a thing. Carrying off duty but not carrying on duty
                  The Town of Islip Park Rangers also have/had the same restrictions, this may have changed considering TOI Park Rangers patrol parks in some tough 'hoods.

LIMA Police can carry on duty but not off duty. I am not sure if the Town of Islip Harbor Police are armed or not. Anyone know?

Comment

What CPL section covers Islip Public Safety Officers, Code Enforcement Officers and Park Rangers? Are the Harbor Police the same as Bay Constables? I could not find a CPL listing of any of these titles. Bay Constables are Peace Officers but need a carry permit from SCPD before theyt can carry unless they were on the job before the re-organization in 1998. The other titles may be filled by special policemen or special officers.....these title have sometimes limited Peace Officer status and usually require a carry permit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                      What CPL section covers Islip Public Safety Officers, Code Enforcement Officers and Park Rangers? Are the Harbor Police the same as Bay Constables? I could not find a CPL listing of any of these titles. Bay Constables are Peace Officers but need a carry permit from SCPD before theyt can carry unless they were on the job before the re-organization in 1998. The other titles may be filled by special policemen or special officers.....these title have sometimes limited Peace Officer status and usually require a carry permit.
                      They used to be called bay constables but they changed their name to Harbor Police a few years ago, I remember when they were called Bay Constables so the name change is pretty recent.

Some towns call them marine patrol (East Hampton Town), some bay constables (Babylon) and Islip calls them Harbor Police.

I am also 100% positive that the CPL covers Town of Islip Park Rangers ... not sure about the others. My link to an online copy of the CPL is dead so I cant find the section #.

Comment

loop hole in some states penal code in regards to certain type of peace officers.Here in L.A, the Los Angeles city Park Rangers are considered "peace officers"( they have to have a B.A/B.S. degree or L.E. experience and 2 yr college degree).Park Rangers must attend a "basic" police academy like any oher police officer,and although unarmed while on duty /patrol( rangers carry OC,handcuffs,straight baton/asp/PR 24) they can carry off duty.based on an earlier ,and unchallenged State Atty Gen'ls written "opinion" about the rights and authoirty of CA. peace officers.What many of us in L.A. crack up about is that these guys-whose duties also cover search and rescue,environmental surveys, nature hikes, willing go out into the regional isolated city parks and the urban "hood" community parks on patrol and engage "Armed" gangmembers,pursue stolen vehicles,and "ped stop" felons and narco suspects-WITHOUT sidearms( there pay is about $44K to $55k/yr compared to the avg police starting pay of $54K to $78K/yr)-its something civie mgm't won't budge on.but in all fairness,why would any copper not want a "fellow" peace officer to be unarmed on or off duty? as long as they have the training and are carrying out their duties (and NOT interfering with yours).you think some thug that guy arrested is going to forget when he sees that Peace officer off duty?
                        "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

welcome to new york...
                          "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

Kid....What's so odd about that? Correction Officers, except for certain security details, never carry on duty.
                            Last edited by Dinosaur32; 05-13-2007, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aikido kid View Post
                              welcome to new york...
                              Correctional officer's are peace officers correct? Do they carry off duty or do they need a ccw permit to carry?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6096 users online. 355 members and 5741 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X