300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nypd vs mtapd?

For those familiar with nyc. My brother is having a tough decision to make. He will be promoted to rookie sgt within 3 months in the nypd. He has 6 years with the nypd already. However, he has just been notified by the mtapd to start the process for their agency. Would it be worth for him to stay in the nypd or should he switch over to mtapd. From what i know, he will not need to the academy again. However, he will start off with rookie pay all over again in mtapd. And he will be going from tier 3 to tier 6. From what i understand his time with nypd will count on the back end. Any thoughts on this?

Originally posted by lolek07 View Post
    For those familiar with nyc. My brother is having a tough decision to make. He will be promoted to rookie sgt within 3 months in the nypd. He has 6 years with the nypd already. However, he has just been notified by the mtapd to start the process for their agency. Would it be worth for him to stay in the nypd or should he switch over to mtapd. From what i know, he will not need to the academy again. However, he will start off with rookie pay all over again in mtapd. And he will be going from tier 3 to tier 6. From what i understand his time with nypd will count on the back end. Any thoughts on this?
    He would really switch tiers ? I thought if your already in a better tier then you wont move.

Comment

Tier 6 doesn’t mean you’re downgrading. Tier 3 is an NYPD thing. Under tier 6, you do 20 years and out, 15% overtime is pensionable. The only time the pension tier switches over is if you’re tier 2 which is obviously better than tier 6. Up to 5 years count on the back so 15 years on property he would need to do. At the end of the day, it’s personal preference and what you want out of your career. You’ll make money in MTA but the pace will be a lot slower. You'll have a great schedule and quality of life. You’ll start out at 42k but after 7 years you’ll be making just as much as a city SGT being a PO. Not counting overtime. MTA is out of contract as well but will more than likely follow suit with PAPD in terms of salary increases but that’s all speculation.

Comment

There's almost nothing worth sticking around for in NYPD. Sergeants routinely leave the NYPD for jobs as a PO in Westchester, Rockland and Long Island. He should go through the entire process for MTA PD and then make the decision if/when the job is offered. The schedule alone is worth entertaining. Look on seethroughny, there are cops hammering the OT and making more than Captains or Chiefs in NYPD
        Last edited by CFD230; 06-10-2019, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Up to five years of his city time will count on the front end. Anything above five goes on the back.

It's a tough question to answer - only he can make the decision.

There is so much BS in the NYPD that I only hear about. We (MTAPD) hire a lot of city rollovers and they're all very happy after they come over. Most time that I heard a rollover having was 7 years and he was an academy instructor too.

And yes, he's staring at the bottom of the pay scale but there is usually more OT available than with NYPD and we don't have caps.

12 hour tours with three day work week (four days every third week) is nice. There are also a lot of protections in the CBA that prevent them from screwing with you too.

Yes, he should go through the process then decide if and when he gets the offer.

Comment

• TrunkS3
            TrunkS3 commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s up to five years on the back end, not front. So fifteen years on property then your time counts. Anything above five years you have to eat.

• TrunkS3
            TrunkS3 commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s up to five years on the back end, not front. So fifteen years on property then your time counts. Anything above five years you have to eat.

Sorry that's not correct. Five years counts up front. That's why you have to do 15. No time goes to waste. Anything over five counts on the back end.

If you do ten years with NYPD you can do 15 with MTAPD and retire with credit for 25 years. The only thing is your longevity is not pensionable unless you do 20 with MTAPD

Comment

I’m in a similar situation he is in. I’m going to be promoted in a few months but also going through the mta process. Did he wind up making a decision? I have no clue what I’m going to do myself.

Comment

At the SGT Level, you would think that decision making was something you would be good at by now...
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by NY2TX View Post
                I’m in a similar situation he is in. I’m going to be promoted in a few months but also going through the mta process. Did he wind up making a decision? I have no clue what I’m going to do myself.

If it's about money, you'll make more as a MTAPD PO then you will as a city sergeant.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8662 users online. 419 members and 8243 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X