Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about NYC probation/corrections psych!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question about NYC probation/corrections psych!

    Hi everyone. I am in the process with NYC probation (they do medical and psych through corrections). I have OCD/ADHD. I take medication, Zoloft and Wellbutrin. I am almost off Zoloft. I have no arrests or hospitalizations. Never done any illegal drugs (except trying marijuana). I told the psychiatrist that I suffer from ADHD and issues related (some depression from the struggles, etc). I did not mention OCD cause I am pretty over it. I had my doctor and psychologist write recommendations. I failed NYPD school safety psych in 2015. They asked about this and I told the reason was because I was overly honest with the psychiatrist about my views on marijuana. Anyway, what do you think will happen with probation psych? I have a masters in criminal justice and cybersecurity training.

  • #2
    You'll be disqualified and never visit this forum again. Youll probably go on to so something outside of law enforcement, better than probation, no one stays at that job anyway. And something definitely better than school safety. You have a masters degree...Probation officers make like 65k at top pay. Shoot for the stars. Questions like this are silly because noone truly knows. But thats my prediction. Good luck.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ARG1982 View Post
      Hi everyone. I am in the process with NYC probation (they do medical and psych through corrections). I have OCD/ADHD. I take medication, Zoloft and Wellbutrin. I am almost off Zoloft. I have no arrests or hospitalizations. Never done any illegal drugs (except trying marijuana). I told the psychiatrist that I suffer from ADHD and issues related (some depression from the struggles, etc). I did not mention OCD cause I am pretty over it. I had my doctor and psychologist write recommendations. I failed NYPD school safety psych in 2015. They asked about this and I told the reason was because I was overly honest with the psychiatrist about my views on marijuana. Anyway, what do you think will happen with probation psych? I have a masters in criminal justice and cybersecurity training.
      You won't get any law enforcement position......... Sorry
      55.......

      Comment


      • #4
        Zoloft and Welbutrin are powerful drugs that are prescribed for more serious issues than ADHD or OCD. This is a red flag. Do yourself a favor and choose a different career path now.

        Comment


        • #5
          As I said on the other forum where you asked this exact same question: You lied by omitting your OCD Dx. Just because YOU think you’re better, doesn’t matter. You are still on medication and being treated...for BOTH problems.

          They have your medical records, don’t you THINK they will review them?
          Now go home and get your shine box!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jdrew View Post
            You'll be disqualified and never visit this forum again. Youll probably go on to so something outside of law enforcement, better than probation, no one stays at that job anyway. And something definitely better than school safety. You have a masters degree...Probation officers make like 65k at top pay. Shoot for the stars. Questions like this are silly because noone truly knows. But thats my prediction. Good luck.
            School safety was sort of a dream. Hours are awesome and you work for a prestigious agency (NYPD). And how could anyone not stay with probation? 65K is good. Plus, on side and LESS serious note, I hear you are more popular with the ladies if you work in LE.
            Last edited by ARG1982; 06-08-2019, 05:28 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              As I said on the other forum where you asked this exact same question: You lied by omitting your OCD Dx. Just because YOU think you’re better, doesn’t matter. You are still on medication and being treated...for BOTH problems.

              They have your medical records, don’t you THINK they will review them?
              I am NOT on Zoloft anymore. I already told them this. If you are right, I am moving to Nevada to work a private armed security job until I can get something more higher.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ARG1982 View Post

                School safety was sort of a dream. Hours are awesome and you work for a prestigious agency (NYPD). And how could anyone not stay with probation? 65K is good. Plus, on side and LESS serious note, I hear you are more popular with the ladies if you work in LE.
                That’s your reason to be a cop? No wonder... BIs read this site, thank god.
                Now go home and get your shine box!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

                  That’s your reason to be a cop? No wonder... BIs read this site, thank god.
                  i don’t want to be a “cop.” Not a regular one at least. I was not being entirely serious. A former police chief actually told us that in a class I took.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

                    That’s your reason to be a cop? No wonder... BIs read this site, thank god.
                    i deserve a chance as much as anyone. I have a masters. Never been in any trouble with law or crap like that. No big trouble me in school and have a good work ethic. Plus, I treat others the way I expect to be.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      So you come on a forum to ask a question. You get multiple answers. And then you argue with us about why were wrong. Good luck.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jdrew View Post
                        So you come on a forum to ask a question. You get multiple answers. And then you argue with us about why were wrong. Good luck.
                        I was not arguing with you. I was responding to the other dude.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ARG1982 View Post

                          i deserve a chance as much as anyone. I have a masters. Never been in any trouble with law or crap like that. No big trouble me in school and have a good work ethic. Plus, I treat others the way I expect to be.

                          ​Having a masters degree is great. You can certainly go far in life but...having a degree and never having been in trouble with the law don't necessarily make you a good candidate for a law enforcement position. It's not just a job. Ask yourself...why would any public safety agency hire someone with a history of psychiatric treatment who has been prescribed SSRIs and antidepressants when there are plenty of other candidates who haven't? It doesn't matter that you're no longer taking them. Those are powerful drugs that aren't prescribed solely for ADHD/OCD, especially together. It sounds like you're attempting to justify and minimize the reason you were on those meds.
                          ​​​​​​
                          Understand something. You asked a question and folks on the forum are being candid with you. They are not sugar-coating their responses. The reality is you have a very slim chance of ever being hired. Some of the things in your history are simply generally disqualifying for this line of work. You also mentioned prestige, being "popular with the ladies" and moving across the country to get an armed security job. My honest opinion? You don't want to be a LEO. You want a shield, a gun and authority and you want people to perceive you a certain way. You also said you "deserve" a chance. Didn't you already have that chance when you failed the psych for SSA? It sounds like you feel as though society owes you something, and that's another red flag. Nothing personal but I wouldn't want you watching my six. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CloudPuncher View Post


                            ​Having a masters degree is great. You can certainly go far in life but...having a degree and never having been in trouble with the law don't necessarily make you a good candidate for a law enforcement position. It's not just a job. Ask yourself...why would any public safety agency hire someone with a history of psychiatric treatment who has been prescribed SSRIs and antidepressants when there are plenty of other candidates who haven't? It doesn't matter that you're no longer taking them. Those are powerful drugs that aren't prescribed solely for ADHD/OCD, especially together. It sounds like you're attempting to justify and minimize the reason you were on those meds.
                            ​​​​​​
                            Understand something. You asked a question and folks on the forum are being candid with you. They are not sugar-coating their responses. The reality is you have a very slim chance of ever being hired. Some of the things in your history are simply generally disqualifying for this line of work. You also mentioned prestige, being "popular with the ladies" and moving across the country to get an armed security job. My honest opinion? You don't want to be a LEO. You want a shield, a gun and authority and you want people to perceive you a certain way. You also said you "deserve" a chance. Didn't you already have that chance when you failed the psych for SSA? It sounds like you feel as though society owes you something, and that's another red flag. Nothing personal but I wouldn't want you watching my six. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.
                            That thing I said about being popular with the ladies was a half serious statement that an ex cop told the a class
                            i was in. How many people are diagnosed with ADHD that get these jobs because they did not reveal it? How many many have mental illness or just plain antisocial tendencies but don’t reveal it?

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 6823 users online. 258 members and 6565 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X