300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need opinions about the future

Alright so here is my perdiciment. I will be a junior in college next year. I am going to be taking the NYSP test, the University Police test, the Park Police test, and one other local agencys test. The NYSP test is in January or February (2008) and the rest are November/December (2007). If by some stroke of luck and God I pass all my tests and backgrounds (and I know it may not be for a year or so, however the Troopers are having a June class following the Jan/Feb test) then I would most likely know about the other 3 before the Trooper results. On the one hand, I would really like to take a UP or PP job and get my foot into the door. However, all my life all I ever have wanted to be is a New York State Trooper and to take a job with those two only to find out that the Troopers would like me a couple months latter is not something I think I would like to risk. Also, I'd feel like an *** taking a job from one of the other agencies only to resign after a couple years or months to go to the Troopers. That also means two academies too. What would you do and why?

Secondly, all this would make me miss my senior year of college. I would return to college and take night classes and online classes to get my dergree after being on the job for awhile. If I didn't take either job, I could differ and finish school and wait a another year or two for the next academy class. Or I could finish school and then self sponsor myself through the local academy at OCC. What are your opinions on this?

Thanks to everyone who listened to my babble and to those that will offer any opinions.

Originally posted by OTVFD18 View Post
    ... all my life all I ever have wanted to be is a New York State Trooper ...
    Well, you have anwered one of your questions right there.

1) There is no shame in taking one job, then moving on to your ultimate dream job. While it may mean 2 academies, so what. You are young and can do that. We're talking about the rest of your working life here. Work towards the job you want.

2) You seem to have decided that you will be at the very top of the next list, and therefore eligible for a summer 2008 class. You may be down the list a ways and be offered a job a year or two later. Don't worry about asking for a differment at this point. If that problem comes later, deal with it then.
    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Thanks SlowDownThere. Yea, I was trying to use the theoretical best possbile outcome of the tests, although I do realize that I have to kick some serious arse to get into that class. I want more than anything to wear that gray and purple...

Comment

I agree with SlowDownThere. It might take some xtra work..a few academies but who cares..do it for yourself. My advice is to take every civil service test you can and take life as it comes...dont sweat the small stuff. Officers move from agency to agency all the time..thats just how it is... "off to greener pastures". If your goal is to be a Trooper then aim for it. Once you are given that opportunity take advantage of it and dont look back.
        And the road becomes my bride.

Comment

Originally posted by 10-97UPD View Post
          I agree with SlowDownThere. It might take some xtra work..a few academies but who cares..do it for yourself. My advice is to take every civil service test you can and take life as it comes...dont sweat the small stuff. Officers move from agency to agency all the time..thats just how it is... "off to greener pastures". If your goal is to be a Trooper then aim for it. Once you are given that opportunity take advantage of it and dont look back.

Thanks UPD.

Comment

Do you think it would he too hard to leave school and come back when on the job or should I wait to take a job until after school?

Comment

Originally posted by OTVFD18 View Post
              Do you think it would he too hard to leave school and come back when on the job or should I wait to take a job until after school?

SLT pretty much answered your initial questions.

The above question is totally up to you. You can take the job if offered to you or defer, but if you defer it adds an additional year or so that you can mess up somehow. Believe me there are plenty of idiots who pull a DWI just pior to the academy or engage in behavior that may disqualify them.

Plenty of people obatin a Masters or second degree while on the job and in some cases the division pays... I personally have only 2 classes left for my Masters and I haven't had the chance to even think about taking a class to finish since I have been on the job.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                SLT pretty much answered your initial questions.

The above question is totally up to you. You can take the job if offered to you or defer, but if you defer it adds an additional year or so that you can mess up somehow. Believe me there are plenty of idiots who pull a DWI just pior to the academy or engage in behavior that may disqualify them.

Plenty of people obatin a Masters or second degree while on the job and in some cases the division pays... I personally have only 2 classes left for my Masters and I haven't had the chance to even think about taking a class to finish since I have been on the job.

Thanks for the input sir. I am leaning towards taking the job and then finishing school right now. However, I guess this is more of a matter of crossing the bridge when I come to it....

Comment

Ill put in my 2 cents by saying.... follow your dreams for sure. Sounds like you are one of the few people who actually KNOW exactly what you want to do when you grow up!
                  If you were uncertain about what career you want, then id suggest you finish school and get your masters degree now before you get into the day-to-day work, family, kids... not that there's anything wrong with that, but it makes education very difficult.
                  Since you want New York State Police.... go for any State law enf. job like Parks or University... you'll be getting valuable experience and gaining an edge over your peers plus becoming a NY State employee. I would get in the state system as soon as you can... age cut off is at 30 for SP. Comes quicker than you think! Give it your best shot now.
                  I really understand your dilemma... good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by PRicci1974 View Post
                    Ill put in my 2 cents by saying.... follow your dreams for sure. Sounds like you are one of the few people who actually KNOW exactly what you want to do when you grow up!
                    If you were uncertain about what career you want, then id suggest you finish school and get your masters degree now before you get into the day-to-day work, family, kids... not that there's anything wrong with that, but it makes education very difficult.
                    Since you want New York State Police.... go for any State law enf. job like Parks or University... you'll be getting valuable experience and gaining an edge over your peers plus becoming a NY State employee. I would get in the state system as soon as you can... age cut off is at 30 for SP. Comes quicker than you think! Give it your best shot now.
                    I really understand your dilemma... good luck.
                    Thank you PRicci. The Troopers has been and always will be my ultimate goal. I also think that getting my foot into the door is a important option to consider.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5822 users online. 316 members and 5506 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X