300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I still become a police officer.

Serious question. I took the nypd Exam 8339; when I calculate the percentage with the residency the score is a 93. So I’m assuming that’s good enough. But my major concern is that back in 2015 I had a horrible year, hanging with the wrong crowd. I had gotten arrested for Having a few pills (Xanax) on me. The judge gave me an A.C.D. 6 months stay out of trouble and it will be sealed. 8 months later I got a ticket for marijuana in LEWIS-BOROUGH upstate Newyork. It was about a gram of marijuana. Im a completely different person now, getting straight A’s in college and only hanging around positive influences. In June I’ll have achieved 60 college credits
    Can I still become a police officer?... This is honestly my absolute dream job and want to make this dream a reality.

Not a chance in hell. 0% chance.

Comment

If this is your absolute dream job then as an employer I first question your life choices, integrity and maturity. If you have known this is your dream job, why did you hang out with such negative crowd of associates? If you took this dream job of your seriously then you would have not been arrested for carrying a FEW Schedule IV drug. Then 8 months later after being clean and following the judges orders just so you could get the record sealed, you were caught carrying MJ. Which who knows how many other times you were carrying it before you were caught. Your behavior shows a blatant disregard to fixing your mistakes and not letting it happen again. Your behavior shows a pattern of questionable life choices. Your character is in question.

Good job with getting those straight A's and hanging around a more positive group of associates. The type of people you associate says a lot of your character and can have positive or negative impact in obtaining a job with LE or outside of LE.

Your employment with NYPD depends on what the hiring requirements are for the employer and how much time they feel is acceptable between drug incidents. Time tends to heal most wounds but being caught with Xanax will definitely be a deal breaker in my neck of the woods. Worst thing NYPD can say is thanks but no thanks but it's highly unlikely you will be hired by a reputable dept given your criminal background.

Comment

I pretty much got laughed out of the room for having 7 years between my last use (college). Good luck.

Comment

Most agency's that o know of will let a marijuana incident or two go. It's the scheduled ones that are on your record that you'll have a hard time got. If anything seeing as they are only 3/4 years ago you may have to wait for a hell of a long time to show that you truly have changed your ways. And just because it's sealed doesn't mean anything. Hell the one I work for any drug use has to be older than 7 years in order to even get to the poly.

Comment

Being that the OP is already a “detective”, I don’t think he has much to worry about...
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by jdrew View Post
              Not a chance in hell. 0% chance.
              Out of curiosity? Are you even an officer?

Comment

On a serious note NYPD isn't the only game you can try out for other law enforcement that are more lenient. I had my fair share of **** when I was younger and still became a peace officer for NYC Dept of Homeless Services.

Comment

NYPD has so many applicants that they might pass on you but u never know till u try. Peace officer positions are not as strict as NYPD. I been there and tried

Comment

It’s not going to be easy I can tell you that. Many years ago maybe. Nypd has since made their hiring standards more strict, they have a huge pool of star candidates who have not been collared for xanex or pot.

With that hat said you can still try. Typically they like 3 years between uses. They are going to press you though so be prepared. I do hope you have since cleaned up. It’s not automatic dq but it may hold you up.

I wish you good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by detective grey View Post
                      Serious question. I took the nypd Exam 8339; when I calculate the percentage with the residency the score is a 93. So I’m assuming that’s good enough. But my major concern is that back in 2015 I had a horrible year, hanging with the wrong crowd. I had gotten arrested for Having a few pills (Xanax) on me. The judge gave me an A.C.D. 6 months stay out of trouble and it will be sealed. 8 months later I got a ticket for marijuana in LEWIS-BOROUGH upstate Newyork. It was about a gram of marijuana. Im a completely different person now, getting straight A’s in college and only hanging around positive influences. In June I’ll have achieved 60 college credits
                      Can I still become a police officer?... This is honestly my absolute dream job and want to make this dream a reality.
                      Do you mean Lewisboro in Westchester County?

Comment

Originally posted by detective grey View Post
                        Anything is possible, go through the process, disclose it and see what happens. If you can do some type of volunteer services such as auxiliary police or volunteer firefighter that can help show you can hold a position in local government.

Comment

Give it another 10 clean years. For now, no. Any job over here has a waiting list, I don't see you being a good hiring candidate at this time.
                          Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8337 users online. 263 members and 8074 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X