Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYS Forest Rangers vs NYS Environmental Conservation Officer

Hi everybody,

This is my first post on here, and I am hoping to get some insight on this matter, as this forum's members seem to be incredibly helpful.

I may have the option to choose between these two positions. Both are with the department of environmental conservation. I know that they are both police positions.

I know that forest rangers focus on search and rescue, wildfire suppression and prevention and education. The encon police position has a lot more routine police work involved (ticketing and arresting and responding to more normal police calls in addition to fish and game enforcement).

Are there any NYS Forest Rangers or ENCON police that could provide some first hand insight into their position and the pros and cons of each? And why you chose one over the other? What do you like or dislike about your position?

I have a wife and a child and so family/ work balance is important to me. My wife is content where we are living now, but she understands the possibility of having to relocate. With that said, am I more likely in one position than the other to get placed closer to where we want to be? Namely somewhere in Orange County.

Thank you all in advance, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Originally posted by Dman008 View Post
    Hi everybody,

This is my first post on here, and I am hoping to get some insight on this matter, as this forum's members seem to be incredibly helpful.

I may have the option to choose between these two positions. Both are with the department of environmental conservation. I know that they are both police positions.

I know that forest rangers focus on search and rescue, wildfire suppression and prevention and education. The encon police position has a lot more routine police work involved (ticketing and arresting and responding to more normal police calls in addition to fish and game enforcement).

Are there any NYS Forest Rangers or ENCON police that could provide some first hand insight into their position and the pros and cons of each? And why you chose one over the other? What do you like or dislike about your position?

I have a wife and a child and so family/ work balance is important to me. My wife is content where we are living now, but she understands the possibility of having to relocate. With that said, am I more likely in one position than the other to get placed closer to where we want to be? Namely somewhere in Orange County.

Thank you all in advance, and I look forward to hearing from you.
    Check out this video. It explains somewhat the lifestyle of a NYS Forest Ranger in his own words.

https://youtu.be/tZOHw4tkS94

Comment

Thank you! I have seen it. It is a decent video. I appreciate your help

Comment

Thank you! I have seen it. It is a decent video. I appreciate your help

Comment

Both are sworn NYS Police Officers. ENCON is typically more on the enforcement side of things than NYS Forest Rangers. Both train together at their academy

Keep in mind NYS Ranger ranks are extremely low and their is a push to consolidate them under the umbrella of ENCON officers. There is also some hostility between both agencies. A lot depends on what you want to pursue in your law enforcement career. ENCON acts more in the enforcement role and most Rangers view law enforcement as a secondary job function if anything. ENCON also pays more.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8093 users online. 350 members and 7743 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X