300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suffolk County Corrections 2019

There is an upcoming test for Suffolk County Corrections. The posting states that this job starts at 30k. Is this correct? How can any adult live making 30k? I dont understand how this is even possible. What are the current pay steps for this job? Also, what are the chances of being hired if you do not live in Suffolk?

thank you.

if you have a heart beat they will hire you the starting pay is 29k and takes 12 years to get to top pay (78k) you wont make over 50k till after 6 or 7 years. you are better off working at mcdonalds. You will make more money and skids wont throw **** on you. Dont take this job its garbage.
    Last edited by soothsayer703; 12-21-2018, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by soothsayer703 View Post
      if you have a heart beat they will hire you the starting pay is 29k and takes 12 years to get to top pay (78k) you wont make over 50k till after 6 or 7 years. you are better off working at mcdonalds. You will make more money and skids wont throw **** on you. Dont take this job its garbage, i did and regret it every day.
      I just signed up for Nassau's corrections test and i was on the brink of doing so for this as well but i read what you stated about the top pay and couldn't believe the disparity between the two, definitely not worth it.

Comment

How is the OT?

Comment

the overtime is ridiculous first shift and a half for the bi-weekly pay period is straight time. you must work 8.5 hours before you start making time and a half (you dont get paid for your lunch) then if you take off any time during said pay period, sick, vacation, personal, you have to work a straight time shift of overtime to pay back that time you took off before you get into time and a half, so the majority of your overtime will be paid out at straight time..
          Last edited by soothsayer703; 12-21-2018, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Wow, I didn't think it was this bad, thought the overtime would help out. I'm actually in my finals step of the process(home visit), I might have to reconsider this as I am taking a huge pay cut, I was honestly looking at the bigger picture.

Comment

if you have a heart beat they will hire you the starting pay is 29k and takes 12 years to get to top pay (78k) you wont make over 50k till after 6 or 7 years. you are better off working at mcdonalds. You will make more money and skids wont throw **** on you. Dont take this job its garbage.
              starting pay is around 32k not 29k and top is around 84-86 not 78k. Make 50k in your first 3-5 years if you willing to work some extra hours. Promotional exams etc...top pay can be very hgh especially for a SGT. It’s a jail and early on you may deal with some **** but I know many COs and it’s a cushy job with a lot of great benefits. Uniform allowance extra money...longevity checks...work here for 12 years or McDonald’s for 12...see which is better lol. Not taking a job cuz of starting salary is just stupid. Get your foot in the door and work and would be easy transition into PD or Deputies. Don’t forget there is no contract and the next one could be an improvement. Kind of when everyone turned down NYPD all those years back cuZ the pay was **** and now they regret it .

Comment

Don't make me laugh 55k at year 3.5 with 500 hours of overtime, that's not "some extra hours" that an extra 3 months of working. Starting pay is 32k with all the checks added in and top pay is 85k with all the checks added in, uniform is 800$ holiday is 750$ your first year and you don't get longevity till year 5 which is $500, Don't spend it all in one place . Promotions go by seniority so anyone that has the same score as you and is senior to you will get promoted before you, so don't hold your breathe for that. Top pay for a new contract SGT. is 110k less than an old contract CO1. Im sure most of the CO's you know are old contract or actually get paid good money so they dont mind sacrificing their social life, family life, holidays, weekends not to mention correction officers have the highest divorce rate of any law enforcement job .You will be sitting in a room and stare a concrete walls for 16 hours handing out toilet paper for your first 5 years while you deal with 60 inmates by yourself. You pay 10 percent into your pension for the life of your career and you pay 160$ a month for family medical which they are talking about increasing. You wont make decent money on that job till you are 7-8 years but if you can wait that long to make money then it is a decent job at best if ur under 24. I literally know people who took that job who were at one point living in their car because the pay was so low.

Comment

Don't make me laugh 55k at year 3.5 with 500 hours of overtime, that's not "some extra hours" that an extra 3 months of working. Starting pay is 32k with all the checks added in and top pay is 85k with all the checks added in, uniform is 800$ holiday is 750$ your first year and you don't get longevity till year 5 which is $500, Don't spend it all in one place . Promotions go by seniority so anyone that has the same score as you and is senior to you will get promoted before you, so don't hold your breathe for that. Top pay for a new contract SGT. is 110k less than an old contract CO1. Im sure most of the CO's you know are old contract or actually get paid good money so they dont mind sacrificing their social life, family life, holidays, weekends not to mention correction officers have the highest divorce rate of any law enforcement job .You will be sitting in a room and stare a concrete walls for 16 hours handing out toilet paper for your first 5 years while you deal with 60 inmates by yourself. You pay 10 percent into your pension for the life of your career and you pay 160$ a month for family medical which they are talking about increasing. You wont make decent money on that job till you are 7-8 years but if you can wait that long to make money then it is a decent job at best if ur under 24. I literally know people who took that job who were at one point living in their car because the pay was so low.
                  It is to each their own...what you think is bad someone else may enjoy. You should just quit and let someone else join who wants a panesion and job security and benefits that would normally cost 2k a month costing only 160. Unlimited sick. From what I understand there are lots of ways to use time off and mutual switches etc...other than the pay scale at the moment I hear good things about the job. Even if it does suck early the long term is worth it and it’s hard to argue that. To you 32k is bad. I made 32k my last job with no possibility of OT and at 20 years I’d be at 52k. First year as a CO I would make more than 32k with OT. So while you hate it...it is an improvement for me. Have a little faith in a new contract or the new MOA that May improve starting pay. EVERY job has it’s downfalls and ****ty times. You aren’t digging ditches and killing your self from what I hear. A lot of COs are spoiled like most county workers...you said you sit anencephaly stare at a wall for 8-16 hours 5 days a week.....I’ll stare at a wall and do nothing for money lol. In my opinion the benefits outweigh the downfalls. You are still there I assume? Maybe a couple years down the road you will find out it’s worth it. I know I will have bad days but I make the best of it and I have had really really ****ty jobs and I hear good things about this one (other than pay) and 110k for a Sgt? My god that sounds awful....lol.. I believe it jumps you right up as well to not wait 12 years. If you make Sgt say within 5 years you go right to 110k. I could be wrong but that’s what I heard

also you have a negative outlook on every aspect lol. Staring at a wall for 16 hours handing out toilet paper? Can’t get forced twice so some/most of the time it’s 8 hours...tier rep hands out toilet paper you dont...you can say no
                  Last edited by pewee880; 02-13-2019, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I’d be pretty stupid to leave nypd for this? I just hate the commute to city...

Comment

Originally posted by Dimo427 View Post
                      Please for the love of all that is holy and right in this world do not leave the NYPD to go to Suffolk corrections.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimo427 View Post
                        5-10 years ago a ton of guys did it, now one of the most recent classes of 16 only 2 are still co’s The others all went Deputy, SCPD, NYPD or out of state.

Comment

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone taking the test on Saturday.

Comment

Anyone know how many people they will be recruiting for the next suffolk county corrections academy?? Just took the test Saturday and Im curious.

Comment

• kjr92
                              kjr92 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              impossible to know how many tbh a class just graduated a few weeks ago of like 61 im in the process rn off the last test right now theres like 12-15 of us hopefully will be the last class off this list to go into the academy and then once the new list comes its all based off demand which they deff need

I wonder how many took the test last saturday, I only had 10 people in my classroom.

Comment

• Rodney413
                              Rodney413 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Same here. My room was pretty empty.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6843 users online. 272 members and 6571 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X