300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random NYPD Questions!

I've been pondering it for a little while now and I've got my heart pretty much set on joining the NYPD. I'm signing up for the June exam, but I do have a few questions that've been rattling around in my head. Any NYPD folks care to answer them for me? I'd really appreciate it.

1. What are the hair and facial hair regs for the NYPD? I've heard one millimeter is the limit for facial hair, but I haven't heard/read anything about the hair on your head. I'm hoping it's not crew-cut/buzz-cut length only...but I can't remember if I've seen many/any NYPD with longer hair.

2. Do NYPD officers have to pass a swimming/water rescue test during academy? I'm not a very strong swimmer, and if there's swimming involved at academy I think I'd like to get some instruction before I go. Good idea? I might get the extra swimming instruction even if it's not required, just so I'll be helpful if someone tumbles into the East River.

3. I know NYPD has pretty solid health insurance...are spouses and children covered without charge, or do they deduct more from your check?

4. How's dental and optical coverage with NYPD? I haven't been able to find info on these.

5. Does the NYPD issue tasers, and if so, does the training for them involve getting zapped? It's definitely not something that'll keep me from going, but it'd be nice to know ahead of time that I'm going to be shocked into a quivering pile of Jell-O before I sign up, you know?

6. Same question for OC/pepper spray - do you get blasted with it as part of academy training? Again, just nice to know it's coming, if it's coming.

Thanks for the answers! I know some of these questions might seem kind of stupid, but I'm curious, so please humor me.
    Last edited by Back to NYC; 04-15-2007, 11:53 PM. Reason: Added one more question...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"You've got to be good in this business, but you've got to get a lot of breaks. If you don't realize that, if you really think you're sitting here because of your genius or anything, I don't know, maybe your background is different, but I got my butt kicked a lot at every level, including this one."

- Stan Van Gundy

1. Head hair must not go beyond collar. If it does, you have to pin it up like a girl. Facial hair is a no-no, as in zip/zilch except for a mustache. That is unless you are jewish, or have a doctors note saying you can't shave.
    2. Yes, you have to pass a swim test. But they put you in a life jacket and say get to the other side...if you get there you pass.
    3. City health care has lots of options...The bad ones are free, the good ones cost money. Some cover kids free, some charge money. Theres like 10 programs to pick from all different.
    4. Dental and optical are through the PBA. I got 40 bucks back for my 210 contact purchase plus eye exam. Sucks.
    5. No tasers...except for if you become a sgt. or emergency services. As a rookie, you can only dream.
    6. No pepper spray test. You don't have to get shot with your gun to know it works either. But you will get sprayed in the street because of the idiots you work with.

Comment

Were you being serious regarding the swim test? Life jacket? I'm currently working on my swimming skills, taking swimming lessons.

Comment

"But you will get sprayed in the street because of the idiots you work with."

I can second that!

Comment

The academys a joke. Dont waste your money taking swim lessons. Its a one day like 1 hr training/test. As far as oc...get used to it cause your gonna get sprayed a lot... you hit an edp with it and you wrestle with him and you get it all over ya...fun times! Oh ya, and did I mention dont join the nypd...

Comment

Originally posted by nypdmisery
            The academys a joke. Dont waste your money taking swim lessons. Its a one day like 1 hr training/test. As far as oc...get used to it cause your gonna get sprayed a lot... you hit an edp with it and you wrestle with him and you get it all over ya...fun times! Oh ya, and did I mention dont join the nypd...
            The swim lessons are for myself, (I started way b4 application to NYPD) and also in possible preparation for NYS Park Police, or Marine/CG OCS.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzysmith12
              The swim lessons are for myself.
              Same here. I figure knowing how to swim well is a skill that's going to be good regardless of being in the NYPD. But yeah...that swim test sounds pretty easy. The only way they could make it any easier is if they gave you a pair of blow-up "water wings" like you see on little kids, and a kickboard to hold onto.

Thanks for the answers, guys. I have a few more questions, if you're willing to answer them:

- What's the partner system like in the NYPD? Are you always with a partner when you're on foot patrol, etc., or are there times when you're on patrol alone on the street? Also, how are partners determined? Do you just get assigned one, or what?

- How tough is the BI, etc. for the NYPD? What kind of medical and/or drug disqualifications are there in the recruitment process? I keep reading about how there's a recruitment crisis or whatever, but I'm not sure about what to believe...

"You've got to be good in this business, but you've got to get a lot of breaks. If you don't realize that, if you really think you're sitting here because of your genius or anything, I don't know, maybe your background is different, but I got my butt kicked a lot at every level, including this one."

- Stan Van Gundy

Comment

I just hope you know how bad things are, considering you are moving from VA for this...

Comment

Originally posted by KFRG
                  I just hope you know how bad things are, considering you are moving from VA for this...
                  Define "bad." Most of the negativity I've seen on the 'net from NYPD officers or non-NYPD officers looking in from the outside is because of low pay or how the department is perceived in the media. The posts are usually something like "25k for rookies...the job is dead!!!!!" or "Suffolk County PD/PAPD/Nassau/NJ makes more than NYPD!" Those are both good points, but if I wanted to work somewhere else, that's where I'd apply. As for the money, I'm young and I've got time to move up the pay scale, and there will probably be a better contract negotiated somewhere down the line. It's tough to argue with half-pay retirement and benefits after twenty years, too. The money argument doesn't phase me at this point.

So...what is it that's so bad about working for the NYPD?

I originally moved to NYC three years ago to work in a program called the NYC Teaching Fellows. I taught for two years in a "failing" middle school in Bed-Stuy/Bushwick, and saw plenty of crazy, messed-up, depressing-as-hell things. I'm not saying this means I'm prepared for all the stuff I'll come across as an NYPD officer, but I'm not stepping into this with no idea about what New York is like, either. I've worked in the kinds of neighborhoods I'll probably be dropped into as a rookie assigned to an "impact" precinct.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but the whole "NYPD sucks don't bother applying" bit isn't real helpful. Thanks to the folks who've tried to answer my questions, though.

- Stan Van Gundy

Comment

i agree

I agree there is way too much nypd bashing. I also dont care that they get paid crap. I am still taking the test and would be proud to be associated with NYC finest

Comment

Originally posted by Back to NYC
                      I don't mean to offend anyone, but the whole "NYPD sucks don't bother applying" bit isn't real helpful. Thanks to the folks who've tried to answer my questions, though.
                      You sound a lot like me. I almost left these forums because of all the anti-NYPD negativity.

I'm done with the testing and am just starting with the BI stuff this week. So I guess if you end up joining after the test in June, I'll only be a few months ahead of you. If you have any questions as you start the process, drop me a line. The answers will probably still be pretty fresh in my head.

Comment

Very cool, Kafziel...when did you take the exam? Did you do all the physical/medical and agility test stuff already, too? I'm wondering how long it'll take for them to get back to me if I do well on the exam. In a perfect world, I'd nail the exam in June, get rushed through the process and then start academy July 16th (I think that's when the next class starts), but who knows.

- Stan Van Gundy

Comment

Originally posted by Back to NYC
                          Very cool, Kafziel...when did you take the exam? Did you do all the physical/medical and agility test stuff already, too? I'm wondering how long it'll take for them to get back to me if I do well on the exam. In a perfect world, I'd nail the exam in June, get rushed through the process and then start academy July 16th (I think that's when the next class starts), but who knows.
                          Its July 31.

Comment

Forget it, you wont get it until you are on the job, until you are indicted for doing your job and defending yourself! Just remember you will be working for a city that dosent give a flying fvck about you.

Comment

I took the test in February. Yep, I'm done with the physical ability test, the medical, and the psych eval. Just waiting on my BI to finish.

Ozzy, how did you find out about that start date? I haven't been able to confirm a definite date from anyone. It's great news if it's true, because I'm supposed to be in California until July 6th and was kind of worried I might have to push back to the January '08 class. The 31st would be perfect.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4257 users online. 223 members and 4034 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X