300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dman65spree View Post
    Quick question is something like a drinking ticked I got 3 years ago going to create a big issue for me? It's the only thing negative thing I have going into the hiring process.
    No, it’s a nothingburger. If that is your only blemish, you are a saint.

Comment

• Any idea of time frame from submitting the CAS5 to being called for the next step?

Comment

• I submitted my CAS-5 on Thursday afternoon, but haven’t heard anything regarding the next steps. Is this normal. Have I not heard anything because it was technically due Monday and they don’t process people for stages after until the due date has pasted? I just want to know that what I am experiencing is alright and may be because of the holiday.

Comment

• nj1993
        nj1993 commented
        Editing a comment
        if you don't mind me asking, what are you ranked on the list? are you on the 10,xxx's ?

• I am new to this forum, I just have a few questions regarding the forms we were sent home with from the Initial Medical. Is there anyone on here who has them or has completed them that I could direct my questions to?

Comment

• Originally posted by nj1993 View Post
        if you don't mind me asking, what are you ranked on the list? are you on the 10,xxx's ?
        I am in the 6xxx

Comment

• If you get the invitation to fill out your cas5 and your 20 (21 in May) can you fill out the cas5 and then delay or do you need to wait till they are emailing for the first academy you will be eligible for?

Comment

• Simpleguy515
            Simpleguy515 commented
            Editing a comment
            You must be 20 1/2 to start your process

• Joem519
            Joem519 commented
            Editing a comment
            Really... wow that’s great news. Where did you read that?

• Simpleguy515
            Simpleguy515 commented
            Editing a comment
            Its on your initial medical letter after filling out the CAS-5

• Tata204
            Tata204 commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought it was 20 and 3/4. I called apd and they told me 3 months prior to your 21st

• how long is the process before going to the academy?

Comment

• Has anyone who’s CAS5 was due 10/14 heard anything back yet?

Comment

• Simpleguy515
              Simpleguy515 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes already have my medical scheduled

• jro17
              jro17 commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually got the email an hour after posting this

• Joanna31
              Joanna31 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey guys mine was due on the same date.. what’s your score or ranking? I still haven’t received anything yet?

• I need some insight on what you guys would do:

Im currently in the FDNY and I'm torn on what to do... I got called for this exam to process for the January academy. Im torn to take this job or stay on to have a chance at the promotional exam. I can see myself doing both, but the hardest thing to do is give up the option of fire due to the quality of life. I heard the beginning of NYPD is barley a quality of life, in addition a lot of the cops I ask on the job dont recommend, I have had some recommend it.

I took:
            Nassau
            Suffolk
            Orange County
            NYSDEC
            Corrections

I dont know if I should take NYPD in terms of getting experience to then go to another department. Or stay on FDNY and just wait for another agency. I feel like once you get your foot in the door it gives you a leg up on others.

Just looking for insight again on what you guys would do or recommend. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simpleguy515 View Post
              I need some insight on what you guys would do:
              No one can tell you or advise you what to do. I know plenty of NYPD cops that left for FD. Not too many go in the opposite direction.

Only you can weigh everything you need to know to make a decision. Twenty people here can tell you twenty different things and it won't make a damn bit of difference. You have to figure out whether you want to be a cop or a firefighter. With the way policing is nowadays I can't say I would recommend it to anyone, especially with NYPD.

Comment

• Simpleguy515
                Simpleguy515 commented
                Editing a comment
                I was actually hoping you would see this being that you are on the job. I mean ultimately I see myself more as a cop but the famous thing i hear is "our hands are tied" or "Go to FD" however, its the quality of life aspect thats hard to give up.

I also would hope to go to another agency for a better quality of life but I just dont seem to know what to do.

• Originally posted by HighwayBob View Post

No one can tell you or advise you what to do. I know plenty of NYPD cops that left for FD. Not too many go in the opposite direction.

Only you can weigh everything you need to know to make a decision. Twenty people here can tell you twenty different things and it won't make a damn bit of difference. You have to figure out whether you want to be a cop or a firefighter. With the way policing is nowadays I can't say I would recommend it to anyone, especially with NYPD.
              I thought you guys had a great work schedule?

Comment

• Originally posted by Simpleguy515 View Post
                I need some insight on what you guys would do:

Im currently in the FDNY and I'm torn on what to do... I got called for this exam to process for the January academy. Im torn to take this job or stay on to have a chance at the promotional exam. I can see myself doing both, but the hardest thing to do is give up the option of fire due to the quality of life. I heard the beginning of NYPD is barley a quality of life, in addition a lot of the cops I ask on the job dont recommend, I have had some recommend it.

I took:
                Nassau
                Suffolk
                Orange County
                NYSDEC
                Corrections

I dont know if I should take NYPD in terms of getting experience to then go to another department. Or stay on FDNY and just wait for another agency. I feel like once you get your foot in the door it gives you a leg up on others.

Just looking for insight again on what you guys would do or recommend. Thanks in advance.
                I’m assuming you mean you’re on EMS. That’s a personal choice you’re going to have to make but, keep in mind that the rumors have been that the promo is changing to mixed classes and limited numbers. Not just an easy 2-3 years then move to fire like in the past. Also keep in mind, that while fire is still better than EMS or PD, it’s not the boys club it was 20 years ago.

NYPD is still a much better job than EMS. I personally would say leave EMS for NYPD and if one of the lists you’re on calls, then great. You could also always stay on EMS and if fire doesn’t happen, just make sure you take another NYPD test.

Comment

• I just finished and passed initial medical. Does anybody have any information on what the mini med is

Comment

• Selling all academy equipment. Only missing baton. Was $810. Selling for $500. Also have uniforms. The belt is a size 38, comes with all equipment. Gym shorts are a large. Also can throw in uniform if you can fit it. (No extra price) pants are a size 12 and shirts a size 32. Comes with insignias

Comment

• For anyone nervous about JST (and don't pretend like you aren't, 90% of everyone there including the dudes were visibly nervous).

Background/Build. I am a pretty fit guy (run about 20 miles per week plus weights if I have the time.) But anyways, I'm a 5ft 7in white dude and I'm about 160 lbs.

The JST is basically a mental game, between the instructors telling you how people **** up and the guy sitting next to you having a conniption, it's all how you approach it mentally.

Fence. You run up to the fence, grab it, put your foot in the hole, and like magic you are over. This is the hardest mental barrier.

Next, are stairs, and please if you are nervous just relax and take time. Relax. I worked myself up for no reason and I kept missing steps, so I ended up doing the stairs for 6 sets instead of 3 (that's double what you have to do, keep that in mind, double and I still passed). All in all, even if you cant coordinate yourself, like me, you'll pass. This is for babies.

Then you run to the resistance machine. It sounds loud, it looks tough, but I kid you not, it was the easiest part of the whole thing. 4 pulls and 4 push, just take your time and keep the handle in front of you.

Running the cones is running the cones. If you've never run in your life, don't worry, it's basically a 30sec-1min jog.

The dummy is next. I initially saw the dummy and was like "**** that looks heavy." It's like 180 lbs or something. I'm 5ft 7, not that I'm scrawny (160ish), I'm medium. The dummy was nothing, I actually was so nervous (having just ****ed up the stairs) that I thought I was doomed. So, I attacked the dummy like a madman and pulled it so hard that it actually came off the ground. Not saying I'm a beast or whatever, but saying that there is nothing to worry about. It was nothing.

Trigger Pull. They hype this part up so much. The trigger is the same or lighter than my BB gun at home. Don't listen to them when they say "Oh, the guys can't even do this anymore. You get so tired and your forearms hurt." BS. Imagine having all that adrenaline and then shooting a BB gun 16x, that's literally it.

I finished in 3:06, including the fact the I did double the amount of stairs and climb like an idiot.
                      Essentially, the point is this: the more you work yourself up, the harder it will be. There were big guys finishing in under 4 minutes, girls too. Two people failed, both because they literally put their hands up and said "im done." The guy next to me got winded and tired when we walked up to the 5th floor bathroom. Plus he was pretty heavy and shaking from nerves. He passed. I did double stairs. I passed. 2 out 20 something failed due to voluntarily giving up. Keep your head on your shoulders, pay attention, and calm down. The JST is far too easy to stress over.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8720 users online. 273 members and 8447 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X