300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 Credits..NYPD

I know the stie says you need 60 credits but i heard that some guys went through all the processing and if i remember right even went through the academy without having all the credits... its this possible? im not sure how many they had but would the NYPD let you proceed on without having the credits?

from the NYPD site..

On or before the day of hire, candidates must have successfully completed either:
    Sixty (60) college credits with a 2.0 G.P.A. from an accredited college or university, or
    Two (2) years of full-time, active military service in the United States Armed Forces with an honorable discharge and have a high school's diploma or its equivalent.
    so if these guys were ex military and did at least 2 years with an honorable theoretically they shouldn't have needed the credits.

edit: and i just realized this was the new york section. damn "new posts" link. sorry if I stepped on anyones toes.
    Last edited by Mystikal; 03-31-2007, 12:39 AM. Reason: i'm an idiot and wasn't paying attention to which thread i was in

Comment

i know that .. but they werent ex military

Comment

You are able to proceed up until the day before the academy without the 60 credits.

In order to actually get thru the process you must have your 60 credits with at least a 2.0 GPA before they allow you to begin the academy. I've been thru it before in 05 and this is how it was and to the best of my knowledge, still is.

So basically, you can do your physical, medical, psych, background, interview, and all the other testing and paperwork before you have your 60 credits, but you wont be able to go beyond that without them.

You're friends could not have entered the academy without the 60 credits.

Comment

I'm in the process right now, and they seem to be pretty strict. I'm not 100% on what's required because I have more than 60 credits and 4 years military so it hasn't been an issue for me, but I think they're pretty serious about it. They do offer ways to get the credits you need, though.

Comment

thanks for the input.. maybe they did something with NYPD to get the credits like you said.. idk.. i only have 43 right now.. im taking the test in June and if all goes well i should have all the credits by the end of July.. so i guess ill have to see if i can get in touch with these guys to see exactly how it went for them.. again thanks for the input..

Comment

When you take the test, they'll let you know about programs they have to get the rest of the credits you need. Also, as far as I know, you only need around 45 credits to start the process (physical, JST, psych eval, interview, etc) and you just need to have 60 credits by the time you actually go to the academy. So I think you're on the right track.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised, the job is dead

Comment

I only had 34 credits when I started the process. My investigator allowed me to take courses on the FEMA website to achieve the other 26 credits. This is called "Credit by exam".

Each credit is $60. So I ended up taking 26 exams, all online, and that is how I recieved my full 60 credits.

Here is the list of courses.
                  http://www.training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/crslist.asp

Here is where you can receive your credits as college credit.
                  http://www.emergencymanagementstudy.com/content/FCC.asp

This is all accepted by the NYPD.
                  Last edited by karn101; 03-31-2007, 10:29 AM.

Comment

will they bust ur balls if u did fall below a gpa of 2.0 f0r a semester but got it back up? i fell below last semester due to injuries. hope this will not effect me. btw u dont necessarily need a degree just 60 credits of watever? sorry to threadjack =)
                    "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
                    - A Cop's Maxim

Comment

No degree needed, just the credits. I don't know about the GPA thing, but from what I've seen so far, they bust your balls about everything.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe61
                        will they bust ur balls if u did fall below a gpa of 2.0 f0r a semester but got it back up? i fell below last semester due to injuries. hope this will not effect me. btw u dont necessarily need a degree just 60 credits of watever? sorry to threadjack =)
                        Its your cumulative GPA of all your credits. Not a GPA of just one semester. And yes, you just need the credits, not a degree.

Comment

It's just amazing to me that a job that's hurting so much for new recruits even has a 60 credit requirement to begin with. Especially when their much higher paying long island neighbors don't. Nassau requires 32 while Suffolk doesn't require any. I would take the NYPD test tomorrow if it wasn't for the college requirements.

Comment

it doesnt take much to get 60 college credits. Nowadays you need atleast an associates to get a decent job.
                            "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
                            - A Cop's Maxim

Comment

JOHN DOE its not the point of whether it takes much to get 60 credits its the point of why do u actually need the 60 credits. I mean if you look at suffolk pd or whiteplains pd or even the west coast midwest, etc. about 80% of those departments do not require anything but high school diploma or a GED. What is the actual reason behind this and most of the parts of the country I just listed are actually paying double of what NYPD starts you of with. That their biggest mistake. I am sure that you can be a good cop without the 60 credits there are a lot of people out there who can be good candidates and become great cops without the credits.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3683 users online. 236 members and 3447 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X