300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dallasg15 View Post
    As many of you are aware, it's ultimately gonna take for something to happened before they start arming PO's on a wide scale. It's sad that the city and independent agency would wait for that to happened but that's just the reality of some things. Now if I'm not mistaken I did receive some credible information, stating that CUNY would reform it's policy pertaining to Firearms; due to all the recent shootings and active shooter events within the past years. Hopefully that information is correct, and start having these guys properly protected.

I think CUNY PO's should be trained with there State counterparts and have the same protection status as such. If not at least go through a local Police academy.
    From your lips to God's ears.
    I have as many names as there are winds, as many titles as there are ways to die. -Odin

Comment

• Employees of NYC agencies are defended in lawsuits by the Corporation Counsel's office. NYC self-insures on liability cases and indemnifies its employees, especially law enforcement officers. Very tough to sue any government over a mass shooting. The government has no duty to protect any individual from harm. I do agree that all properly trained Peace Officers should be armed with firearms, but not because of possible terrorist acts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
        Employees of NYC agencies are defended in lawsuits by the Corporation Counsel's office. NYC self-insures on liability cases and indemnifies its employees, especially law enforcement officers. Very tough to sue any government over a mass shooting. The government has no duty to protect any individual from harm. I do agree that all properly trained Peace Officers should be armed with firearms, but not because of possible terrorist acts.
        Um, the whole POINT of the government is to protect and defend its citizens and keep law and order. And its more than terrorist acts its also criminal activity, edp's, and any active shooter situations. We love in a multi threat environment but as usual, the higher ups are reactive instead of proactive. Its why we have LESOA and hr-218 to put more armed peace officers in the public.
        I have as many names as there are winds, as many titles as there are ways to die. -Odin

Comment

• No government has a duty to "protect and defend" its citizens. On the other hand, a function of government is to promote law and order. These two "objectives" are not the same at all and should not be confused with each other.

Comment

• The fundamental purpose of the United States is laid down in the Preamble to the Constitution: ". . . to form a more perfect Union, establish justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity." In essence, the fundamental purpose is to assure the integrity and vitality of our free society, which is founded upon the dignity and worth of the individual.
            the people are the government, which is why there are laws to protect them and an army to defend them from foreign invasion. It all comes down to us the people. Without us, there IS no government. Which is why the whole alphabet soup of federal agencies and municipal state and county law enforcement offices do. They protect and defend the citizens of their jurisdictions against those who would break the law. Justice Tranquility Defence Welfare are all in the constitution, which is the very SPIRIT of this country. It ain't perfect, but we defend it to the best of our ability and those who live under it's rule.

Comment

• Knightwolf .... Very nice thoughts but not reality. If what you posit was accurate, the "government" would be obligated to protect every citizen from all potential harms. Failure to do so could lead to massive lawsuits and liability against the "government". Case law dictates that there is no duty to protect individual citizens or groups other than the very general concept of maintaining "law and order".

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                Knightwolf .... Very nice thoughts but not reality. If what you posit was accurate, the "government" would be obligated to protect every citizen from all potential harms. Failure to do so could lead to massive lawsuits and liability against the "government". Case law dictates that there is no duty to protect individual citizens or groups other than the very general concept of maintaining "law and order".
                Ok, let me try it like this. If an agency charged with upholding the peace and enforcing law and order are found negligent, such as not having proper procedures in place for a potential threat or failing to properly equip their officers with basic, necessary tools like vest and such, they CAN be sued. At the very least, heads would roll, people would get fired (possibly carged if funds were going into someone's pocket instead of towards the actual job) and any suits would be settled out of court to avoid publicity.

Comment

• Who is going to make this determination. Each agency that provides a law enforcement service equips its officers with the tools it considers necessary for the officers to perform their duty. Almost impossible to sustain a suit against an agency for making a decision it is empowered to make. Your desire for a vest or a firearm is quite understandable but it is the agency's role to determine what you need. Two things to remember: first, in NYC the NYPD is the go to agency for anything beyond everyday operations and, second, all law enforcement agencies and their employees are under total civilian control.

Comment

• I am going to have to agree with Dinosaur32 . Peace Officers hired by the Municipality in NYC are more used for Uniform presence. NYPD is really the Go to agency to enforce the law whether you agree with it or not. To have a firearm for your job is all about numbers. It has nothing to do with constitutinal law or nys law it is simply a numbers game. DHS PD for example is probably the smallest agency in terms of officers. so for example you have 500 officers city wide. you have to pay for each of those members of service liability insurance, pay for training and then on top of that increase their salaries to give them hazard duty pay, heart bill and etc, its all about the specific agency saving money and giving you the officers the equipment it thinks it needs for its members. plus they know its a stepping stone job and why invest so much money when the officer plans on leaving anyway. I was told from a retired NYPD sergeant whose an instructor as well as a lawyer from the nypd that those are the reasons why. Peace officers serving in nyc are more of a security guards then actual law enforcement officers. and that is sad to hear ..

Comment

• Originally posted by Stroby24991 View Post
                      I am going to have to agree with Dinosaur32 . Peace Officers hired by the Municipality in NYC are more used for Uniform presence. NYPD is really the Go to agency to enforce the law whether you agree with it or not. To have a firearm for your job is all about numbers. It has nothing to do with constitutinal law or nys law it is simply a numbers game. DHS PD for example is probably the smallest agency in terms of officers. so for example you have 500 officers city wide. you have to pay for each of those members of service liability insurance, pay for training and then on top of that increase their salaries to give them hazard duty pay, heart bill and etc, its all about the specific agency saving money and giving you the officers the equipment it thinks it needs for its members. plus they know its a stepping stone job and why invest so much money when the officer plans on leaving anyway. I was told from a retired NYPD sergeant whose an instructor as well as a lawyer from the nypd that those are the reasons why. Peace officers serving in nyc are more of a security guards then actual law enforcement officers. and that is sad to hear ..
                      That's my point. Safety is being compromised for numbers and money. Now if they treated each department as an actual police agency with the full training equipment pay benefits and authority, turnover rate would be much lower. Its why they loose officers to corrections.

Comment

• I hear yah.. The only thing I can recommend is to take the nypd exam and become a cop, cause I really dont think its ever going to change. So many people tried and failed. Many unions tried to take over certain agencies and failed..

Comment

• Originally posted by Stroby24991 View Post
                          I hear yah.. The only thing I can recommend is to take the nypd exam and become a cop, cause I really dont think its ever going to change. So many people tried and failed. Many unions tried to take over certain agencies and failed..
                          The problem is not all of us went to college or served in the military. Some started working right out of high school to support families or single parents. And because of this, we don't get a shot unless we invest time and money to learn stuff that mostly won't apply on the job. I would rather take a guy who had years of security or customer service experience and put him through the academy than some guy or girl who got a degree in interpretive dance or poetry and found out that dont pay the bills, so decided to become a cop. Sigh smh.. In illinois, the suburban departments mostly only require no convictions and a HS diploma and they get along just fine.

Comment

• Well just realized I forgot to send them my diploma. I could have swore I attached it to my application thing on the CUNY site. I must have overlooked it since I have a 4 year degree and didn't think it applied to me. Sigh...

Comment

• OBIE24
                              OBIE24 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              My friend, you're not alone. I also forgot to fax my high school diploma. Though, I have a associate's degree. Regardless, they send me the letter to take the CUNY Campus Peace Officer.

• Deleted ...........
                            Last edited by thebigsnapple; 05-18-2017, 03:02 PM. Reason: DOUBLE POST...

Comment

• Originally posted by Knightwolf View Post

The problem is not all of us went to college or served in the military. Some started working right out of high school to support families or single parents. And because of this, we don't get a shot unless we invest time and money to learn stuff that mostly won't apply on the job. I would rather take a guy who had years of security or customer service experience and put him through the academy than some guy or girl who got a degree in interpretive dance or poetry and found out that dont pay the bills, so decided to become a cop. Sigh smh.. In illinois, the suburban departments mostly only require no convictions and a HS diploma and they get along just fine.
                              It use to be like that in in NYC but bloomberg wanted to have high standards for cops and I believe that its the right thing to have.. There is so many ways to get 60 semester college credits.. I believe DHS academy credits count for 12 to 16 credits for basic peace officer so youll have to do get the other credits through fredericks community college.. the only thing is it costs money to put the credits on a transcript and that has to be done through excelsior college.. Or two years of being a peace officer will get you into NYC DOC.. there are options.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8877 users online. 200 members and 8677 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X