Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't figure out where this rumor about cuny arming all it's officers came from. It would be nice, but from what I hear, most schools wont allow it. Not holding my breath on this one...
    I have as many names as there are winds, as many titles as there are ways to die. -Odin

Comment

• The Public Safety Department are more armed now then they were 5 years ago.. That already says a lot especially in the direction that they are headed.. But I feel as a department especially when its job is to protect the university community you need to have armed officers not just a few. Its common sense and a proactive approach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stroby24991 View Post
        The Public Safety Department are more armed now then they were 5 years ago.. That already says a lot especially in the direction that they are headed.. But I feel as a department especially when its job is to protect the university community you need to have armed officers not just a few. Its common sense and a proactive approach.
        What you feel is common sense and a proactive approach isn't what everyone else feels

Comment

• Originally posted by The hopeful View Post

What you feel is common sense and a proactive approach isn't what everyone else feels
          The issue with arming a group of people that weren't armed before is that they need to now re-qualify everyone for the "new title". I assume a lot of folks wont make that cut and all these unarmed agencies are gunna be really hurting for people.

Comment

Its in the best interest of the City and State to look at the CUNY public safety department to train officers for any possible and potential active shooter threats. Ive been with the City for over a decade and they never take a proactive approach.. It most certainly is a common sense. By all means I am no gun buff or anything of that nature but when your job is to protect and serve the college community from possible threats what are CUNY officers suppose to do. baton and oc spray someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by thebigsnapple View Post

The issue with arming a group of people that weren't armed before is that they need to now re-qualify everyone for the "new title". I assume a lot of folks wont make that cut and all these unarmed agencies are gunna be really hurting for people.
              I think if the candidates that pass the test especially the CUNY campus peace officer exam will most certainly pass the qualifications for firearms. It gets annoying and I think its really disrespectful to put down another candidate or probationary officer and say they wont make the cut. Don't get me wrong there are officers in all agencies that are not the most dependable but thats a select few. Firearm qualifications is the easy part. Its the insurance the city agencies do not want to pay.. trust me when i say that . For example TLC has a difficult job , they do car stops all day and they are only equipped with baton, oc spray, hand cuffs and a bullet resistant vest.. the commissioner stated the only reason why there are no firearms is because the insurance is too high to pay and the city does not want to pay that type of money..
              Last edited by Stroby24991; 05-16-2017, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Its in the best interest of the City and State to look at the CUNY public safety department to train officers for any possible and potential active shooter threats. Ive been with the City for over a decade and they never take a proactive approach.. It most certainly is a common sense. By all means I am no gun buff or anything of that nature but when your job is to protect and serve the college community from possible threats what are CUNY officers suppose to do. baton and oc spray someone.
                I would love to see the stats for how often CUNY even processes collars or summons people. Meanwhile in DHSPD we've arrested individuals for assault 1s and drugs. Prior convicts and parole but of course CUNY desperately needs guns if you wanna reference events like Virginia Tech.

Comment

I would love to see the stats for how often CUNY even processes collars or summons people. Meanwhile in DHSPD we've arrested individuals for assault 1s and drugs. Prior convicts and parole but of course CUNY desperately needs guns if you wanna reference events like Virginia Tech.
                  What nobody thinks about (I mean the higher ups and civilians) is that all it takes is some person off his meds or a terrorist attack like Florida and California, or even a random armed criminal/criminals running from the police crossing into your jurisdiction to put lives at stake. people look to us to protect them and were hiding under the desk with them! Cause against a gun, unless you have one yourself or get really lucky and blindside the guy with your baton or taser, there's not much you can do but wait till the "real cops" get there. By then you have a dozen dead bodies or more and a ***** storm of lawsuits and angry family members that would cost WAY more than any insurance the city might pay. Then all those civilians who said "we don't need armed military like security here" will be screaming "where were the guns! Why didn't you protect us!!?!" Same where i work now, you have a HUGE housing complex with KNOWN gangs and drug dealers that you want us to police, but maybe a quarter of on shift officers are even peace officers with cuffs and batons and half of us don't even have VESTS!!! All to save money until some random act of violence kills or maimes someone while waiting 3-5 mikes for the real cops to show up. THEN the outrage and lawsuits will force management to take the idea of arming us seriously. The city is the same way. Nobody expects Sandy Hook or Columbine or Orlando to happen until it does, and if you ask the families of the dead, every one of them would wish a fully armed SWAT team was patrolling the hallways when the ***** hit the fan. Nobody is saying put riot gear and m4s into every peace officers hands but a single handgun can be the difference between a close call and a tragedy. Its just the world we all live in. My two cents.
                  I have as many names as there are winds, as many titles as there are ways to die. -Odin

Comment

its not about what agency does more in terms of processing arrests or the issuance of summonses.. I am also not saying DHSPD does not need any extra tools to do their jobs.. I am simply stating In this CUNY forum that CUNY In fact needs to arm all officers not just half the department.. CUNY is capable of doing this..

Comment

• Knightwolf
                      Knightwolf commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm sure It happens more than people think. All it takes is a domestic dispute, a mental patient off their meds, or someone having a really bad day looking to vent on someone for the cuffs to come out and a free tour of lockup. And If they ain't going quietly, then you gotta MAKE em! It's the nature of what we do and things like that can happen anytime, anywhere.

• Stroby24991
                      Stroby24991 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Knightwolf I agree with you whole heartedly but the city of ny is not about to arm all of the DHSPD.. its a insurance liabilty issue.. I understand completely the needs of the DHSPD. I have a buddy of mine whose a sergeant , and officers.. When I was in HHCPD it was the same argument. Correction officers do not even carry inside the jails. What all peace officers should be able to do is carry off their shields. Because who knows if johnny from atlantic shelter received a "C" summons for being disorderly and see's you with your family somewhere and wants to cause bodily harm. I get it. trust me I get it. CUNY and all other Peace Officers titles in the City of New York should be without question able to carry off their shields.

• Originally posted by Knightwolf View Post

What nobody thinks about (I mean the higher ups and civilians) is that all it takes is some person off his meds or a terrorist attack like Florida and California, or even a random armed criminal/criminals running from the police crossing into your jurisdiction to put lives at stake. people look to us to protect them and were hiding under the desk with them! Cause against a gun, unless you have one yourself or get really lucky and blindside the guy with your baton or taser, there's not much you can do but wait till the "real cops" get there. By then you have a dozen dead bodies or more and a ***** storm of lawsuits and angry family members that would cost WAY more than any insurance the city might pay. Then all those civilians who said "we don't need armed military like security here" will be screaming "where were the guns! Why didn't you protect us!!?!" Same where i work now, you have a HUGE housing complex with KNOWN gangs and drug dealers that you want us to police, but maybe a quarter of on shift officers are even peace officers with cuffs and batons and half of us don't even have VESTS!!! All to save money until some random act of violence kills or maimes someone while waiting 3-5 mikes for the real cops to show up. THEN the outrage and lawsuits will force management to take the idea of arming us seriously. The city is the same way. Nobody expects Sandy Hook or Columbine or Orlando to happen until it does, and if you ask the families of the dead, every one of them would wish a fully armed SWAT team was patrolling the hallways when the ***** hit the fan. Nobody is saying put riot gear and m4s into every peace officers hands but a single handgun can be the difference between a close call and a tragedy. Its just the world we all live in. My two cents.
                    I agree 100000000000% couldnt be said any better then this.

Comment

I agree 100000000000% couldnt be said any better then this.
                      I feel passionate about this because you want us to do a job but won't give us the tools or authority to do it right, or even competently. Its like saying fight Mike Tyson in his prime blindfolded with one hand tied behind your back. Suicide!!! I'm telling you, if I'm doing my job correctly and some bozo puts a bullet in me or beats me to a pulp with my own baton, im suing everyone in sight!!! Officer safety HAS TO COME FIRST!!! Without it, EVERYBODY else's safety is at risk.

Comment

I feel passionate about this because you want us to do a job but won't give us the tools or authority to do it right, or even competently. Its like saying fight Mike Tyson in his prime blindfolded with one hand tied behind your back. Suicide!!! I'm telling you, if I'm doing my job correctly and some bozo puts a bullet in me or beats me to a pulp with my own baton, im suing everyone in sight!!! Officer safety HAS TO COME FIRST!!! Without it, EVERYBODY else's safety is at risk.
                        I am extremely passionate about what your saying again I agree. The only Officer safety that the city is concerned with is members of the NYPD. hell look at the Correction Officers they do not have the respect from the City officials at all. And its mind boggling. The reason why City agencies hire Peace Officers is because peace officers are treated like security guards and the employers have more control over their training and requirements. Unless the city of New York says hey lets give all peace officers or special patrolman status armed..

Comment

By any chance would you happen to work in the BX?

Comment

• Knightwolf
                            Knightwolf commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nope. Queens. And boy, do i miss Long Island.

its not about what agency does more in terms of processing arrests or the issuance of summonses.. I am also not saying DHSPD does not need any extra tools to do their jobs.. I am simply stating In this CUNY forum that CUNY In fact needs to arm all officers not just half the department.. CUNY is capable of doing this..
                          You know what I was wrong to say that and selfish. I actually believe all peace officers should at least have a permit because you never know if you bump into that person as you said. Now if you're not covered under LEOSA there should be a state law that protects you as long as of course you get that permit and understand the rules of engagement.

Comment

• Dallasg15
                            Dallasg15 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes very true Thehopeful! As well as making it more affordable for city peace officers and special patrolman get a firearms license because the prices is ridiculous at 1pp. Thank God I'm covered under LEOSA and state law because I would not be buying a pistol or rifle permit for my firearms. It's just ridiculous!

• As many of you are aware, it's ultimately gonna take for something to happened before they start arming PO's on a wide scale. It's sad that the city and independent agency would wait for that to happened but that's just the reality of some things. Now if I'm not mistaken I did receive some credible information, stating that CUNY would reform it's policy pertaining to Firearms; due to all the recent shootings and active shooter events within the past years. Hopefully that information is correct, and start having these guys properly protected.

I think CUNY PO's should be trained with there State counterparts and have the same protection status as such. If not at least go through a local Police academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10073 users online. 435 members and 9638 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X