Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of curiosity, I took the city special officer exam, which is like cuny peace officer except with city agencies, and got a 90. Is this test similar to that one? Like memorizing picture details and basic common sense and math or what? I figure if the test are similar, I can breathe a little easier.
    I have as many names as there are winds, as many titles as there are ways to die. -Odin

Comment

Originally posted by NYC01 View Post
      Good luck to all those taking this CUNY CPO exam this upcoming saturday!
      Thanks ! Same to you

Comment

can anyone here tell us about what attire do we wear to the exam and what to bring aside from the admission card and 2 pencils.?thanks

Comment

• Pete_cas
          Pete_cas commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty sure you can go dressed casual. As far as what to bring besides the admission card & pencils, I think you just have to bring your I.d

To answer some of the questions pertaining to off-duty carry. My uncle is a sergeant with CUNY your given on and off duty status as per CPL ( Peace Officer). As of right now you have to get a pistol permit through 1pp, but that's expected to change soon since Public safety, is changing it's atmosphere to become more Law Enforcement oriented. All the new guys in this May class and as well as our "class" God willing is getting firearm training. It's no longer just only supervisors or the safe team that's gonna be allowed to carry. Which is a good thing! Now if you wanna carry you "do not" need a unrestricted pistol permit through NYPD because you are covered under LEOSA as well as HR-218, now this only applies if you are already carrying a firearm as LEO for CUNY or any other law Enforcement capacity within NYC. If you do not carry while "On Duty" you do not qualify to carry off duty.
        Last edited by Dallasg15; 05-02-2017, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallasg15 View Post
          To answer some of the questions pertaining to off-duty carry. My uncle is a sergeant with CUNY your given on and off duty status as per CPL ( Peace Officer). As of right now you have to get a pistol permit through 1pp, but that's expected to change soon since Public safety, is changing it's atmosphere to become more Law Enforcement oriented. All the new guys in this May class and as well as our "class" God willing is getting firearm training. It's no longer just only supervisors or the safe team that's gonna be allowed to carry. Which is a good thing! Now if you wanna carry you "do not" need a unrestricted pistol permit through NYPD because you are covered under LEOSA as well as HR-218, now this only applies if you are already carrying a firearm as LEO for CUNY or any other law Enforcement capacity within NYC. If you do not carry while "On Duty" you do not qualify to carry off duty.
          Yea dont listen to this guy I'm a special officer that knows other special officers that carry on duty for their agency. You can get jammed up TRUST ME. If you're permit is only for on duty carry that means you'll be leaving your assigned firearm at work. CUNY officers as per the NYS CPL Subsection 79 need a pistol permit from NYPD until the CPL is changed in Albany. The CPL for special officers and cuny peace officers is exactly the same just different agencies and subsections.Make sure your agency will back you or hope ( and I would hope you dont) that the officers who find you with the firearm dont want to deal with the headache.

Comment

• Dallasg15
            Dallasg15 commented
            Editing a comment
            Brother no disrespect aims towards you at all but you have to check your facts. Under LEOSA which is a federal policy you are allowed to "carry a firearm off duty" if you carry already while "On duty" in a law enforcement capacity. Now you are right when it's comes to certain situations where an officer may not know what LEOSA, and stop and question you for credentials. All you have to do is informed them that your covered under LEOSA, they would either let you go on the spot or inform a supervisor, which in any case the SUP. For NYPD Would in fact know your covered because they are taught that in there leadership course. The reason how I know this is because before I joined my current agency I worked at a Top Law firm
            within NY that handle cases pertaining to LEOSA as well as H.R 218

Ps. There's plenty of cases of this Policy both within NY as well as Cali both being highly liberal states! All LEO's won the case's against them and sued both the city as well as the Arresting agency.
            Last edited by Dallasg15; 05-02-2017, 10:03 AM.

• The hopeful
            The hopeful commented
            Editing a comment
            Go ahead and risk it if you want to. That CPL says this even though LEOSA says that. I for one wouldn't take the chance unless I know for a fact my agency wouldn't seek "disciplinary actions". I don't believe you can purchase firearms with certain permits unless the agency does so for you.

A lot of misinformation going on. As a peace officer you can carry period. I've never heard of a special permit from NYPD being needed. At my current job I can carry without any approval or permits from NYPD. My initial question that was misunderstood is what is CUNY's policy on off duty carry, because even though as per LEOSA you are covered, you might not be indemnified if something happens and you have violated your departments policy.

Comment

To all you guys taking the exam this Saturday good luck. I believe the college is providing parking for this exam. If not there's plenty of street parking on kissena Blvd.

Comment

Originally posted by nycapd View Post
              A lot of misinformation going on. As a peace officer you can carry period. I've never heard of a special permit from NYPD being needed. At my current job I can carry without any approval or permits from NYPD. My initial question that was misunderstood is what is CUNY's policy on off duty carry, because even though as per LEOSA you are covered, you might not be indemnified if something happens and you have violated your departments policy.
              You need to read the CPL for peace officers than. A few agencies need permits. Idk where you work but city corrections, and city sheriffs don't have restrictions in the CPL.

* 79. Peace officers appointed by the city university of New York pursuant to subdivision sixteen of section sixty-two hundred six of the education law, who shall have the powers set forth in section 2.20 of this article whether or not they are acting pursuant to their special duties; provided, however, that nothing in this subdivision shall be deemed to authorize such officer to carry, possess, repair or dispose of a firearm unless the appropriate license therefor has been issued pursuant to section 400.00 of the penal law. Thats the subsection for cuny peace officers

Comment

Wait a second why are you trying to come to CUNY if you're already a peace officer?

Comment

Thanks. Maybe it's different for other agencies. I work for one of the agencies you mentioned. The reason I'm taking the exam is cuz I want options. I don't know if I really want to stay at my current job.

Originally posted by The hopeful View Post

Wait a second why are you trying to come to CUNY if you're already a peace officer?

Comment

Thanks. Maybe it's different for other agencies. I work for one of the agencies you mentioned. The reason I'm taking the exam is cuz I want options. I don't know if I really want to stay at my current job.

Yea if you're a NYC sheriff you can purchase off your shield and ID. Some one like me who's a special officer would require a permit from NYPD or if it was another county idk how their system or law works possibly need a state permit. If you're giving up sheriff you're a mad man. NYC Corrections I might be able to understand. Either way money wise it's a downgrade. In the end cuny peace officers make the same amount as I do as a special officer if Im not mistaken. We actually have the same union as theirs.

Comment

Lmfao... of course I wouldn't quit NYC sheriffs... I ain't crazy... I'm with DOC right now... That's why I was curious. I'm about to get my firearm but I was wondering what happens if I get this job. I don't wanna waste all that money on a glock that I will have to turn in. Then I won't buy it. I'm not a gun nut. I actually don't care at all. I just don't wanna waste my money...

Yea if you're a NYC sheriff you can purchase off your shield and ID. Some one like me who's a special officer would require a permit from NYPD or if it was another county idk how their system or law works possibly need a state permit. If you're giving up sheriff you're a mad man. NYC Corrections I might be able to understand. Either way money wise it's a downgrade. In the end cuny peace officers make the same amount as I do as a special officer if Im not mistaken. We actually have the same union as theirs.

Comment

• Knightwolf
                        Knightwolf commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bro, if you leave corrections, your nuts! Most prople take jobs lile these to get INTO corrections. The pay cut is HUGE compared to cuny plus there's more opportunities. Not to mention off duty carry. The schedule and ot Will be around the same as well.

Lmfao... of course I wouldn't quit NYC sheriffs... I ain't crazy... I'm with DOC right now... That's why I was curious. I'm about to get my firearm but I was wondering what happens if I get this job. I don't wanna waste all that money on a glock that I will have to turn in. Then I won't buy it. I'm not a gun nut. I actually don't care at all. I just don't wanna waste my money...

Stay with DOC because you'll need that permit for CUNY peace officers and I wouldnt be surprised if they didnt let you take home their duty weapon they would issue to you guys. NYC DOC is covered subsection 25 of NYS CPL 2.10 which is as follows

​​​​​​
                      25. Officials, as designated by the commissioner of the department of corrections and community supervision pursuant to rules of the department, and correction officers of any state correctional facility or of any penal correctional institution.

and cuny peace officers are subsection 79 which as follows. 79. Peace officers appointed by the city university of New York pursuant to subdivision sixteen of section sixty-two hundred six of the education law, who shall have the powers set forth in section 2.20 of this article whether or not they are acting pursuant to their special duties; provided, however, that nothing in this subdivision shall be deemed to authorize such officer to carry, possess, repair or dispose of a firearm unless the appropriate license therefor has been issued pursuant to section 400.00 of the penal law.

See the difference now. Nothing at all mentioned in regards to corrections needing "the appropriate license"

Comment

You are completely right. I didn't know that there was such a difference between corrections and other peace officers... It's a little different from PD. If I'm working an assignment that requires a firearm, I take one from the facility's armory. We aren't issued on duty firearms to take home like cops. However if you want to carry off duty you purchase off your shield and ID after you have completed six months on the job.

Stay with DOC because you'll need that permit for CUNY peace officers and I wouldnt be surprised if they didnt let you take home their duty weapon they would issue to you guys. NYC DOC is covered subsection 25 of NYS CPL 2.10 which is as follows

​​​​​​
                        25. Officials, as designated by the commissioner of the department of corrections and community supervision pursuant to rules of the department, and correction officers of any state correctional facility or of any penal correctional institution.

and cuny peace officers are subsection 79 which as follows. 79. Peace officers appointed by the city university of New York pursuant to subdivision sixteen of section sixty-two hundred six of the education law, who shall have the powers set forth in section 2.20 of this article whether or not they are acting pursuant to their special duties; provided, however, that nothing in this subdivision shall be deemed to authorize such officer to carry, possess, repair or dispose of a firearm unless the appropriate license therefor has been issued pursuant to section 400.00 of the penal law.

See the difference now. Nothing at all mentioned in regards to corrections needing "the appropriate license"

Comment

Anyways... Beside all this firearm talk I'm also curious what the hiring process is like... What time frame are we talking about? Do we wait a few months for our list number and then realistically get hired within a year or two assuming you pass everything? Or is it quicker than PD and DOC?

Comment

• Dallasg15
                            Dallasg15 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            @NYCAPD
                            If money is not an issue for you then come to CUNY, some of the many benefits of it is that you get free tution for you and your dependents ! Idk your situation rn but in terms of Retirement benefits corrections has a better retirement plan than CUNY.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9701 users online. 371 members and 9330 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X