Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bachelors in CRJ (or minor), hiring w/New York State Police- hurt or help?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bachelors in CRJ (or minor), hiring w/New York State Police- hurt or help?

Hi all,

I am finishing up my BS in History and decided to add Criminal Justice as a second major (or at the very least a minor) because I really find it interesting and have always wanted to get in to law enforcement.

I am planning on taking the next NYSP Exam, but my question is, will getting a BS in Criminal Justice (or a minor) hurt or help my chances at getting hired with the state police?

A trooper once told me that typically, a CRJ degree is not really an advantage for applicants because the state police "wants to train you their way".

Will they NOT look at me favorably if I have a minor or BS in Criminal Justice?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Brian

How in the world would that even remotely hurt you?

Comment

Any degree is better than no degree. I got my associates in Criminal Justice while I worked towards my BS in another completely different field. Nobody ever told me that they were afraid I was "trained" in the wrong way in college. You'll find many differences in hopping from station to station in how things are done. It's impossible to have everything completely uniform in an agency of this size.
      Last edited by GrayState; 03-10-2007, 07:14 PM.

Comment

This was my thinking...

Candidate A with a score of 95 and no CRJ degree.

Candidate B with a score of 95 and a CRJ degree, all things equal to candidate A.

Based on what I was told by a trooper, about the state police wanting to train you "their way", would they not look on you as favorably as a candidate without the CRJ degree?

I am probably reading way too much into what one trooper said, but that is why I wanted to post the question on here, to get some thoughts from other actual/current New York State Troopers.

Thanks!

Comment

Candidate A would not be able to apply to even take the test if he does not have the minimum college credit requirement. The state police hire plenty of people from police agencies that have already been through other academies. We had people in my class that were police officers in other states, and their training and laws were a world apart from ours. Plenty of other police officers get turned down from what I hear, but not because they are already police officers.

The bottom line is, do what you enjoy. If you enjoy a few criminal justice courses and want a bit of exposure, a minor in it is fine. If you enjoy something else, do that. A degree other than criminal justice may or may not give you a few advantages depending on the field of study. The advantage of having a non-criminal justice degree is that you might appear a bit more well rounded, it may be more challenging, you will have something to fall back on if you don't get hired or get hurt on the job, and it may give you other skills that you can still use. I'm always doing things at work somehow related to my non-crj field of study.

What matters more than anything is your integrity, ability to work, and ability to get along well with other people.

Comment

The trooper was simply saying the CJ degree is worthless ;-) unless of course you don't have a degree. If you already have a BA in history why waste money on more classes unless you want another degree.

A CJ degree will not hurt or help you in anyway -- they are basically looking for a degree. Throw your candidate scenario right out the window. The test score basically places you on a list and they evaluate you once they reach that number...

Comment

Thank you NYS Troopers for your advice

I really appreciate it. I know it may have seemed like a silly question, but obviously I just want to make sure my decisions (of adding the CRJ major or minor) would not in any way negatively effect my chances of getting appointed.

I will be finishing with my BS in History and minor in CRJ in about a year, shorty after the next NYSP Exam (provided they indeed have it in January/February 2008). Paying for more classes certainly does not excite me (nor does sitting in a classroom any longer than necessary), but I figured while I waited for results, processing and appointment I was thinking of continuing with CRJ or start Masters work for teaching (high school history). I don't really want another degree, just basically sorting out options while I wait for appointment.

Just a little background on myself for those interested:

I took the last exam ('04) and went through the processing, only to be DQ'd due to my own immaturity (punctuality with school and jobs, etc.) in the years preceeding the exam.

I drove to Albany to find out what the reasons were for the DQ, and thankfully I was told that if I get my punctuality under control and keep my nose clean, I should be in good standing after taking the next exam.

Needless to say, the 4.5 hour drive to Albany was worth it to hear that.

Its amazing sometimes what it takes for one to "grow up", but the meeting with that Lieutenant really woke me up. When you are "young and dumb" you're in you're own little world, and don't realize that literally everything you do/don't do has an effect on something.

I told my fiance last night, even if for some reason I don't get appointed (after this next exam and processing), going through the exam and processing the first time was one of the best things I have ever done, from a personal reflection/growth standpoint. It has only made me stronger and more determined to succeed.

I am so excited to take the upcoming exam, and can't wait for the honor and opportunity to serve.

The average public truly does not have any clue what one goes through to become a New York State Trooper. Congrats and thank you to all those on here that wear the gray.

Thanks again,

-BPG
              Last edited by NYSP61; 03-12-2007, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your help
                Last edited by St.jude; 10-06-2021, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• HighwayBob
                  HighwayBob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Seriously?

Originally posted by St.jude View Post
                Any one know new york state trooper kristen erario is she fair or is she very strict ?
                14 year old Necropost.

Well done.

Kristen is watching…

Comment

Dose the troopers accept Suffolk pd academy or no

Comment

• HighwayBob
                    HighwayBob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    NO. You're a disaster aren't you?

Can you translate that into English?

Comment

Dose dependent I guess?

Comment

• Aidokea
                      Aidokea commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ...or no...

Funny one!

Comment

They do…however there is a spelling and grammar test.

(hint: you failed already)

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

They do…however there is a spelling and grammar test.

(hint: you failed already)
                        His profile says he's employed in the law enforcement profession...as a bank teller...

Comment

• HighwayBob
                          HighwayBob commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Probably as a cleaner

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4255 users online. 259 members and 3996 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X