Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Oral Psychological Exam review or DQ?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD Oral Psychological Exam review or DQ?

Hello,
    This is my first ever posting and i was wondering if anyone can help me out. I believe in several months ill be taking the oral psychological. After reading several threads and post i noticed that having issues with your education and criminal history will definitely put you either DQ or on review. Heres a little history about me, Im going to be turning 24 at the end of December and when i was 17 years old i was arrested for a domestic dispute with my sister. It was verbal dispute and pushing/shoveling was involved. I spend a night at bookings and my charges were dismissed. Charges were PL 120.00 Assault in Third Degree. When i was in elementary, middle and high school i was in resource room but i never really used the extra time for the exams or needed the "extra" help. I read that they will request a copy of your IEP files. My question is, has anyone here ever been in my situation before or done worst BUT still got an offer for the academy? Any current police officers here that can answer my question? Im just curious because i definitely don't want to waste my time and put so much effort into this process where i know i will be DQ. What are your thoughts? Thank You

The job takes domestic history very seriously for candidates. Especially the process is more strict.

Comment

While domestic violence is an automatic disqualification in many departments, the fact that it occurred when you were minor undoubtedly means that it will affect you less.

I myself, have been arrested for possession of marijuana under fifty grams in New Jersey twice. The first time I received a conditional discharge and the second time I plead guilty and was on probation for a year. I am also 24. While I believe it is likely that I'll be put at a disadvantage, I try not to let it discourage me from pursuing a career in law enforcement. Honestly, it seems that you're better off being a guy who committed a few minor crimes and being honest about it while providing an articulate explanation than being someone that lies about certain things like saying that they've never done drugs and thinking that investigators won't go too far in their background check.

As for your IEP files... the fact that you were "special ed" in the past should not affect you too adversely considering that it is probably illegal to discriminate a candidate based on that. I was diagnosed with ADHD as an adolescent and was prescribed for medication for a while and even though it's not something I'd broadcast, I would have no problem disclosing it to potential employers.

You're further in the process than I am, good luck. No reason why you shouldn't pass the oral psych exam.

Comment

Originally posted by ac23923560 View Post
        Hello,
        This is my first ever posting and i was wondering if anyone can help me out. I believe in several months ill be taking the oral psychological. After reading several threads and post i noticed that having issues with your education and criminal history will definitely put you either DQ or on review. Heres a little history about me, Im going to be turning 24 at the end of December and when i was 17 years old i was arrested for a domestic dispute with my sister. It was verbal dispute and pushing/shoveling was involved. I spend a night at bookings and my charges were dismissed. Charges were PL 120.00 Assault in Third Degree. When i was in elementary, middle and high school i was in resource room but i never really used the extra time for the exams or needed the "extra" help. I read that they will request a copy of your IEP files. My question is, has anyone here ever been in my situation before or done worst BUT still got an offer for the academy? Any current police officers here that can answer my question? Im just curious because i definitely don't want to waste my time and put so much effort into this process where i know i will be DQ. What are your thoughts? Thank You
        I'm kind of in the same boat with you. Currently, I am an Active Duty Military Police Officer. Have been for about a year and an half- I've been in for almost 7 years, one combat tour to Iraq, but never garrison work, anywho- I'm about to have a face to face interview with the USFWS Land Management Officer position. With that said, I was arrested almost four years ago for Domestic Assault, Assault 4th- Domestic, Minor Injury. It was completely bogus and fabricated by my x-wife. Charges were dismissed. Unfortunately, there is a stigma that follows- and may or may not with your entire life; me being current law enforcement that does enforce federal and state laws, there is a gray area for officer discretion. Always, always, always remember, the judicial system is INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty. If the charges were dismissed, there should be no biased opinion towards you. However, there will always be a stigma that will follow you and will raise a flag. Just understand that. You being a minor when this occurred and I am under the assumption that you haven't had any legal issues since? You should be just fine. Keep your head up, tell the truth, elaborate the circumstance and leave it in gods hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Jkim_1 View Post
          While domestic violence is an automatic disqualification in many departments, the fact that it occurred when you were minor undoubtedly means that it will affect you less.

I myself, have been arrested for possession of marijuana under fifty grams in New Jersey twice. The first time I received a conditional discharge and the second time I plead guilty and was on probation for a year. I am also 24. While I believe it is likely that I'll be put at a disadvantage, I try not to let it discourage me from pursuing a career in law enforcement. Honestly, it seems that you're better off being a guy who committed a few minor crimes and being honest about it while providing an articulate explanation than being someone that lies about certain things like saying that they've never done drugs and thinking that investigators won't go too far in their background check.

As for your IEP files... the fact that you were "special ed" in the past should not affect you too adversely considering that it is probably illegal to discriminate a candidate based on that. I was diagnosed with ADHD as an adolescent and was prescribed for medication for a while and even though it's not something I'd broadcast, I would have no problem disclosing it to potential employers.

You're further in the process than I am, good luck. No reason why you shouldn't pass the oral psych exam.
          YOU should not be giving ANY advice, especially when it's incorrect and has no basis in fact.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

The PD will be able to look into the circumstances around each case. The investigator will look to see why the case was dismissed. A dismissal on the merits will be treated more favorably than a dismissal after plea negotiations.

Comment

Exam 5329 here. I took the written back in May of 2017, finished everything but still have not been scheduled for oral psych. Anyone here in the same boat?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7572 users online. 323 members and 7249 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X