Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It doesn't even matter what you scored on this entrance exam. I got a 70, when I took it 6 years ago. I passed all of the necessary steps to be hired, and got hired 4 years ago. This past February I took the sergeant's test and scored an 86, now I'm on the list to be a boss.

Comment

• stephen chu
      stephen chu commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow you're blessed man! Good luck!

• Originally posted by Ishraq87 View Post

Lmao... hahah.. not gonna argue with you on that
    clueless.
    “He who says he can and he who says he can't, are both usually right.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Guitarfiend

In a nutshell it began as a way to get more not so educated people into the nypd back when it was the same exam as housing authority. The morons that were scoring 69% were getting pushed to 74% and we're happily joining the academy for nypd while the smarter candidates who scored a 98 and got pushed to 103% got banded in the housing authority bracket. I totally agree with you. I am a massive proponent of equal opportunity but if somebody's dumb enough to score a 65% on this exam but still 'pass' because he or she lives in the city, I can't possibly understand the mentality of giving this person so much responsibility.
      Correct me if Im wrong but Im pretty sure you need a clean passing score in order for those points to be added.

But the argument can also be made that those in the Boroughs are already familiar with the city way of life, which would be highly beneficial as a police officer.

Regardless, the extra points (for residency) are kind of annoying.
      Last edited by Chris89; 04-09-2017, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Williams View Post
        It doesn't even matter what you scored on this entrance exam. I got a 70, when I took it 6 years ago. I passed all of the necessary steps to be hired, and got hired 4 years ago. This past February I took the sergeant's test and scored an 86, now I'm on the list to be a boss.
        Ted, congratulations on your achievement (I do mean that). I have an honest question for you.

These tests are said to test your "mental acuity". So typically a score of 70, at least on paper, would be an indicator of someone with that of a "lesser mental acuity".

While that may not be applicable to yourself, would you say those who are OTJ that scored in the 70's, make for a lower performance Police Officer vs someone who scored in the 90's+?
        Or would you say those who would be of "low performance", regardless of score, are rooted out in the academy/probationary period?

Comment

• You make it seem like this test has correlation to performance as a Police Officer. It has zero significance. It's a civil service test, and whether you score a 70 or 100 is absolutely irrelevant. I scored a 98 on it without residency, it doesn't get you any preferential treatment or any perks because really NO ONE CARES

Comment

• Originally posted by Nypd16 View Post
            You make it seem like this test has correlation to performance as a Police Officer. It has zero significance. It's a civil service test, and whether you score a 70 or 100 is absolutely irrelevant. I scored a 98 on it without residency, it doesn't get you any preferential treatment or any perks because really NO ONE CARES
            I personally feel like it should matter, just like any exam. The higher scores reep out the great from the average/below average test takers. At least get the higher scores processed first or a few steps ahead. I mean something! Bc u cant say the guy who passed wit 98 has same abilities as the guy who scored 71: but thats my opinion
            NYPD Exam #7323

List number: 1,0xx - 10/3/17
            CAS-5: 10/5/17 - Done ✅
            Medical: 10/19/17 - Done ✅
            BI: 11/14/17 - Done ✅
            Written Psych: 11/18/17 - Done ✅
            JST: 11/20/17 - Done ✅
            Oral Psych: 12/4/17 CLEARED! ✅
            Mini-Med: 12/12/17 Done ✅
            Hired Email: 1/8/18 GOT THE EMAIL!!

Phil 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me.

Comment

You make it seem like this test has correlation to performance as a Police Officer. It has zero significance. It's a civil service test, and whether you score a 70 or 100 is absolutely irrelevant. I scored a 98 on it without residency, it doesn't get you any preferential treatment or any perks because really NO ONE CARES
              My question was on the basis of "mental acuity", which I would imagine has some influence on the performance of a Police Officer; the exam allegedly tests this.

Now that I see Ted is living proof that score has no bearing on attaining the job and seems to be succesful at it, I just wanted his opinion.

It was simply a question.
              Last edited by Chris89; 04-09-2017, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Almonte19 View Post

I personally feel like it should matter, just like any exam. The higher scores reep out the great from the average/below average test takers. At least get the higher scores processed first or a few steps ahead. I mean something! Bc u cant say the guy who passed wit 98 has same abilities as the guy who scored 71: but thats my opinion
                Would you rather the guy who scored a 100, has no social skills, is in terrible shape and does not react well under stress or the guy who scored the 71 that is able to talk to people, is in shape and handles stressful situations well. The written test does not measure the most important aspects of being a police officer. Sure, mental acuity is good but it's only one small aspect of being a police officer. There are many more important factors that the written exam does not measure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Almonte19 View Post

Get off your high horse. If you care so much about score, go take NYSP, NCPD, SCPD where score really matters

Comment

Would you rather the guy who scored a 100, has no social skills, is in terrible shape and does not react well under stress or the guy who scored the 71 that is able to talk to people, is in shape and handles stressful situations well. The written test does not measure the most important aspects of being a police officer. Sure, mental acuity is good but it's only one small aspect of being a police officer. There are many more important factors that the written exam does not measure.
                    Sure the written test does not measure such abilities, but the hiring process does.. Which is why I wanted to see how the alleged mental acuity aspect translated into actual job performance.

And of course a high score is no indication of someone being the best for the job... There are perfect examples here on this forum.

Comment

The argument can also be made that as a Nassau county resident I should be fairly familiar with my areas as well for the Nassau County exams. Yet here I am with no free 5 points
                      Lol.. I get it. But its more than familiar with an area... It the whole way of city life... Long Island life vs City life, is a world of difference.

Comment

• you are right, it doesn't matter if you score a higher score than everyone else. Someone can have a 71, and be a great police officer, than the guy that scored a 100, gets into trouble because their ego is too big. i hate that people think they have higher authority because of their score. Man, we suppose to be a brotherhood all together and get along.

Comment

• I don't like the 5 points for being a city resident either but politics as usual.

Comment

I just don't like the whole I got 100% guys!(95% with residency)....like, no...you didn't get 100%. You got a 95% and you happen to live in queens lol
                            AGREED!!!!!!!! BUT In reality as someone mentioned before its a brotherhood, everyone should legit be rooting one another on for the greater better. No one knows what happened to that particular person prior to taking the test. No one knows what the other person is going through. What if the person is not a good test taker? The score doesn't determine whether or not you'll be a good cop. All those questions asked are just a general basis of what the job would be like. Everyone has a different mindset & way of thinking.

Also the 5pts benefited everyone who got high 90s, you have a higher list #.My boyfriend is a cop and scored a 99 & still got the email for the academy the night before the had to actually go to Queens boro.

Comment

I just don't like the whole I got 100% guys!(95% with residency)....like, no...you didn't get 100%. You got a 95% and you happen to live in queens lol
                              Lol... Agreed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7833 users online. 417 members and 7416 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X