Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The perks are nice, but the down time sucks for the progressive guys. For the guys that like the down time, it is nice. The pay is nice for what the job is, however, as i have heard cops from so many different types of departments, you don't get paid for what you do, it's what you might have to do....haha

Comment

That is true. One thing I can say..believe it ot not there have been some great arrests in the summertime. There are less people so criminals cant blend that easy. There are still summer classes and plenty of activity but things do slow down...it is just the nature of the beast.
      And the road becomes my bride.

Comment

Virginia Tech

This should remind all, that crime happens everywhere.

Comment

Va Tech

What would NYS University Police Departments do if something like that were to happen on one of the campus'. Do they have something set up to respond to such an extraordinary event? Some departments have ERT some barely have enough officers to cover the hours of the days.

Comment

At least the SUNY Police carry guns ... cant say the same for SCCC Public Safety or any other college/university agency in NY.

Comment

At least the SUNY Police carry guns ... cant say the same for SCCC Public Safety or any other college/university agency in NY
              I could be wrong, but I do not believe all University Police are armed. Can not beleive they still leave it up to the President of the College.

If all are not, then hopefully the few that are not will be soon.
              IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

"In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
              -----Louis Pasteur

"Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

-------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

Comment

Anyone know how many are hired per academy class? How is it decided what campus to put officers on? Is it easy to transfer from one campus to another? I am very excited to take the UPO1 test in November.

P.S. Any of you UP's on here now if it is legal for students who have pistol/concealed weapons permits to carry on campus?
                Last edited by OTVFD18; 04-17-2007, 07:03 PM.

Comment

November? Have they announced the exam already?

Comment

Yes, I saw it on the Civil Service site the other day.

Comment

Nevermind, see it
                      Last edited by Peconic; 04-17-2007, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by POCHEDDAR
                        wheres the link?

http://www.cs.state.ny.us/announ/tentative_schedule.cfm

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
                          At least the SUNY Police carry guns ... cant say the same for SCCC Public Safety or any other college/university agency in NY.

I would hate to see a incident happen at RIT all they can do is call 911 and pray.

Same thing at university of Rochester pepper spray vs bullets don't work well. If I was a college kid I am not sure I would like to be on a campus without it's own police force.

Sadly at RIT some kid got arrested with assault rifles now what if he had been a nutjob like the kid at VT that could have been a huge mess.

Comment

Each campus has their own policy and procedure in dealing with such incidents. UPO's at SUNY Geneseo are not armed. The president will not allow them full carry and the last without it. It is very unfortunate that this Va Tech event has occurred. My thoughts/prayers to the family, friends and victims. This event is a wake up call and will change the outlook on campus law enforcement from now on. The liberals finally have seen a real life event that did happen and now realize that it isnt an "isolated incident". Since 1966 there have been approx 10 incidents regarding an active shooter on campus. This trend will continue to happen..the scary part is nobody knows when or where.
                            And the road becomes my bride.

Comment

Arming

Geneseo has their weapons in a lock box in the car and they can put them on in certain circumstances. The union met with the President last week and they are close to full arming.

Oswego has a tactical team, AR15's bean bag rounds and shotguns. They have a step van as an emergency services vehicle.

The SUNY Chefs are re-evaluating everything this week at their semi annual meeting. Can't wait to hear what they come up with- decentarlized, uncentralized auhority! Ha!

Comment

I couldn't imagine being in uniform and unarmed. I hope any place that doesn't make it a requirement to carry on campus changes their position. I can't imagine any campus police department not requiring officers to carry weapons after this week.

Seriously, a locked box in a car? That is beyond all logic.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9074 users online. 419 members and 8655 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X