Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help from a NYPD officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help from a NYPD officer

    I am a LEO in Ohio .. will be visiting NYC in July and want to know the local policies that would apply to me carrying my off-duty weapon during my visit.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

  • #2
    I do not believe it is against the law here...but cannot guarantee it...after looking at the NYS PL I found under 265.20 (Exceptions to carrying a firearm) it states in (b) that it is alright.

    Comment


    • #3
      Not NYPD, however HR 218 covers you. I believe there are a few threads on here in ref. to NYC and LEO's vacationing there, etc.
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by atabor
        I am a LEO in Ohio .. will be visiting NYC in July and want to know the local policies that would apply to me carrying my off-duty weapon during my visit.

        Thanks in advance for any help.
        Also under federal law HR 218. I would call the NYPD's firearms division and double check. TSA might give you a hard time also get to the airport a little earlier, unless your driving.
        I believe forgiveness is Gods function; my job is to simply arrange the meeting.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CBP1895
          Also under federal law HR 218. I would call the NYPD's firearms division and double check. TSA might give you a hard time also get to the airport a little earlier, unless your driving.
          Why call NYPD to check? If you meet the criteria of HR218, you are all set; simple as that. Put your gun in checked luggage, per airline regs (check with the airline first) and you are all set there also...... but do get to the airport a bit early, sometimes the gun thing takes a bit longer at airline counters.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by msw
            Why call NYPD to check? If you meet the criteria of HR218, you are all set; simple as that. Put your gun in checked luggage, per airline regs (check with the airline first) and you are all set there also...... but do get to the airport a bit early, sometimes the gun thing takes a bit longer at airline counters.
            2 reasons CYA and rather be safe than sorry, thats all.
            I believe forgiveness is Gods function; my job is to simply arrange the meeting.

            Comment


            • #7
              ..........
              vengeance05
              Forum Member
              Last edited by vengeance05; 03-16-2009, 04:28 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'd call ahead, because HR218 states that you are bound and subject to local restrictions which varies from state to state. In NY you don't have police powers, though you have the right to carry a CONCEALED firearm. In some states they require that you carry your weapon in a readily visible fashion. HR 218 also does not state what type of ammunition you can carry, and here is where it can get interesting... I'm a cop in NY. I carry a sig 226 and a glock 26, both are 9mm weapons which I have qualified with through my agencies training.My departments standard issue ammo is gold dot hollow point ammunition. Now, if I cross the bridge to New Jersey, that ammunition is not allowed except for peace/police officer's, such authority I no longer have. But, if I am forced to fire my weapon in NJ, and it's not Dept. issued ammo, there exists a chance that my job will not indemnify from a civil suit which will DEFINITELY be filed by the bad guy or his family. Is a cop in NJ going to lock me up for my ammo?...probably not. But if I shoot someone, people will definitely be asking questions, and therein lies another lawsuit. I can tell you this, if you visit Long Island, have your shield and ID card, all you'll get from us is a welcome to NY, and a see ya'. Same for the brothers in the NYPD. But it doesn't hurt to ask anyway...CYA

                Comment


                • #9
                  If you are carrying a gun under LEOSA no state can force you to carry your firearm visible.

                  You can carry a concealed weapon in any US state, or territory. (USVI , Puerto Rico, etc)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by vengeance05
                    You don't really need to carry, but if you do: you must have your shield and dept ID. Unless you start shooting up midtown you won't have a problem with any of the city cops.
                    But shooting up the Bronx is still OK.
                    You can now follow me on twitter.

                    Comment

                    MR300x250 Tablet

                    Collapse

                    What's Going On

                    Collapse

                    There are currently 5254 users online. 280 members and 4974 guests.

                    Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                    Welcome Ad

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X