300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nepotism and civil service

Hey all question for ya. Does knowing someone high up actually help you out? Seems everyone I know trying to get a job knows someone or is related to someone from the chief deputy to chiefs of other local agencies. I would assume any candidate would need to score high enough, be in good enough shape, have a good enough background an sane enough to have the job. It seems people think their testing, background and psych worries are nothing because all they need to do is make a phone call. Is this possible?
    Last edited by jimmy17; 01-28-2006, 08:05 PM. Reason: grammar

In a perfect world, nepotism would have no effect on getting any civil service job whether it is LE or Parks Dept. According to NYS civil service, three people have to be interviewed for every one opening. However, if you score a 90 on your test and the chief deputy's kid scores an 85, cahnces are he will get that job before you do. It happens all over the place. It's not right, but not really anything can be done to stop it. As long as the hiring agency can show thay paid lip service to Civil Service regulations they can get away with doing this.

Comment

As long as a candidate is reachable within 3 from you, they can be appointed before you. If you're the Chief and your son took the test and is ranked number 6, all you have to do is find something to disqualify 1-3 on (not hard at all), then they can hire him because he's now reachable within 3.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy17 View Post
        Hey all question for ya. Does knowing someone high up actually help you out? Seems everyone I know trying to get a job knows someone or is related to someone from the chief deputy to chiefs of other local agencies. I would assume any candidate would need to score high enough, be in good enough shape, have a good enough background an sane enough to have the job. It seems people think their testing, background and psych worries are nothing because all they need to do is make a phone call. Is this possible?
        Hey, sorry this is little late. But you should seek out the MTAPD or PAPD if you're truly looking for nepotism. Best of luck to you! ​​​​​​

Comment

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          What is wrong with you?

This thread has been inactive for over 15 years...

Originally posted by LukeSW View Post

Hey, sorry this is little late. But you should seek out the MTAPD or PAPD if you're truly looking for nepotism. Best of luck to you! ​​​​​​
        This is a thread from 2006, what’s the point of reviving it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bidstar View Post

This is a thread from 2006, what’s the point of reviving it?
          What difference would it make? The same know-it-all trolls on this "​touchy" topic will still flame the thread.

I mean it's not illegal as per the NY Civil Service Law, so why do they act as if it doesn't exist?

Comment

The epsilon semi morons have been active for the last year or two going after threads that have been dormant for the past 4-15 years.
            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3691 users online. 225 members and 3466 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X