Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 MTAPD Exam Announcement

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Plinton876 View Post
    Just paid my fee to take the exam. Looking forward to this. I'm currently NYC DOC...looking for a way out...lol
    I hear that..everyone I know at DOC left for PD, OCME or JTFES. Good luck.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by v9ny View Post
      Hey, I'm a current NYPD officer. Just got emailed to take the MTA exam. Can someone point me in the right direction with regards to the benefits of the MTA Police? I've been searching but it's like the info is hidden. Here is the information I know and what I would like to know. I would like current benefits information, as in someone who is in the MTA Police and got hired within the past year or 2. I would more than gladly answer any NYPD benefits you may have. I have a year on now.

      MTA Police Salary starts at $40k and tops out at $99k in 7 years.
      1) Is there longevity pay like the NYPD?
      2) What is the probationary period for MTA Police?
      3) What is the pension percentage, and how many years do we have to work before reaching retirement?
      4) Does the MTA do 401k and 457 deferred compensation?
      5) With regards to overtime, is there a cash or time option like the NYPD does?
      6) How much vacation time do you start with and what is the max amount of vacation you get? (Easy answer for NYPD, I could answer)
      7) What is the sick policy?
      8) Is there disability benefits?
      9) Does the MTA have good health insurance plans, in terms of cost? (NYPD has an awesome GHI plan which is Free, and you can pay a $3 fee biweekly for an additional rider in case of medications. Amazing deal I'd say)
      10) Once you are an MTA officer, are there exams to be promoted to a higher rank, how often is that given and what is the last exam you can take before it's discretionary promotions? (I.E NYPD, you take civil service exams until becoming an Captain and then it's a discretionary promotion by the department.)
      11) Is the increasing rank structure like the NYPD, Officer, Detective, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain.
      12) Is there any expected monthly activity from an officer (summons, arrests)?

      Like I said, I can answer ALL those questions for the NYPD but please first help me gather this knowledge. I want to make a decision whether I should switch departments. You can mention you opinion after letting me know that info. Very much thanks.
      1-yes
      2-one year following graduation from the academy or 18 months from hire for rollovers
      3-Modified tier 6 pension, 20 years for retirement
      4-457 and 401k Roth and traditional
      5-yes, comp time bank limited to 60 hours
      6-160 for the first five years, 216 after that. You can rollover a max of 120 each year
      7-unlimited sick with similar rules to doctor certified, etc. As NYPD
      8-yes(LOD, accidental death, etc. As well)
      9-2% of base pay goes towards insurance which covers medical, dental, vision
      10 and 11- promotions are the same as NYPD but less frequent. Promotional exam every 3 or 4 years.
      12-no expected or required monthly activity but the more the better if you're looking for detective, k9, esu, etc.

      Edit: There's probably more to think about now that we have the 7 year top pay but of all the rollovers we've hired, I don't think I've met a single one that has regretted leaving their department for this job. Even if you're not currently in law enforcement, if it's something you've always wanted to do then I would definitely say go for it. It's easily one of the best law enforcement jobs in the state.
      Last edited by RDO.; 11-27-2016, 04:00 AM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by RDO. View Post

        1-yes
        2-one year following graduation from the academy or 18 months from hire for rollovers
        3-Modified tier 6 pension, 20 years for retirement
        4-457 and 401k Roth and traditional
        5-yes, comp time bank limited to 60 hours
        6-160 for the first five years, 216 after that. You can rollover a max of 120 each year
        7-unlimited sick with similar rules to doctor certified, etc. As NYPD
        8-yes(LOD, accidental death, etc. As well)
        9-2% of base pay goes towards insurance which covers medical, dental, vision
        10 and 11- promotions are the same as NYPD but less frequent. Promotional exam every 3 or 4 years.
        12-no expected or required monthly activity but the more the better if you're looking for detective, k9, esu, etc.

        Edit: There's probably more to think about now that we have the 7 year top pay but of all the rollovers we've hired, I don't think I've met a single one that has regretted leaving their department for this job. Even if you're not currently in law enforcement, if it's something you've always wanted to do then I would definitely say go for it. It's easily one of the best law enforcement jobs in the state.
        Thank you brother. You've been extremely helpful. I'll soon be taking the written exam and hopefully following through with the other parts of the application. I won't expect anything. Keep myself level-headed and content.
        With regards to the modified tier 6 pension and according to this link:

        http://www.nycers.org/(S(mql4tja1n02.../forms/719.pdf
        the MTAPD doesn't follow the regular tier 6 plan, it is a special plan. Because of that, reduced benefits due to retirement age, do not apply to MTAPD. This link:

        http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/em...comparison.php
        says it does not.

        1)To my understanding, if we do 20 years of service, regardless of my age, we could collect full benefits (not reduced benefits), correct?
        Could you do rough numbers with me. I'm 26, lets assume I get hired at 27. I do a full 20 year of service and decided to retired. In 20 year, let's assume the FAS I made was $100,000 (average of 5 years).
        2)What is the calculated Service Retirement Benefit Calculation? I'm calculating: $100,000 * .02 * 20 years = $40,000 a year. Is that correct?
        3) What happens if I stay for 25 years, with the same FAS? Is is: $100,000 * .02 * 25 years = $50,000 a year?

        If you can answer this, I would much appreciate it.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by v9ny View Post

          Thank you brother. You've been extremely helpful. I'll soon be taking the written exam and hopefully following through with the other parts of the application. I won't expect anything. Keep myself level-headed and content.
          With regards to the modified tier 6 pension and according to this link:

          http://www.nycers.org/(S(mql4tja1n02.../forms/719.pdf
          the MTAPD doesn't follow the regular tier 6 plan, it is a special plan. Because of that, reduced benefits due to retirement age, do not apply to MTAPD. This link:

          http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/em...comparison.php
          says it does not.

          1)To my understanding, if we do 20 years of service, regardless of my age, we could collect full benefits (not reduced benefits), correct?
          Could you do rough numbers with me. I'm 26, lets assume I get hired at 27. I do a full 20 year of service and decided to retired. In 20 year, let's assume the FAS I made was $100,000 (average of 5 years).
          2)What is the calculated Service Retirement Benefit Calculation? I'm calculating: $100,000 * .02 * 20 years = $40,000 a year. Is that correct?
          3) What happens if I stay for 25 years, with the same FAS? Is is: $100,000 * .02 * 25 years = $50,000 a year?

          If you can answer this, I would much appreciate it.
          1-From what was explained to us, this is correct.
          2,3 - From the documents given to us at orientation, the service benefit would be 50% of our FAS at 20 years of service. Each year over 20 adds ~1.6%. Not sure if thats the answer you were looking for.

          Comment


          • MTA police from what i read on older posts goes through NYPD academy. What about the process like medical, psychological exam and investigator is that all through NYPD or MTA have there own?
            does anybody know?
            Last edited by 276k-1under; 11-28-2016, 04:32 PM.
            Nypd Exam: 3314
            Score: 96 list#: 1××

            apd-5: ??

            medical: ??

            written psych: ??

            oral psych: ??

            met with BI: ??

            Jst: ??

            Mini-med: ??


            New York State Police 10/19/2013

            List#

            Comment


            • Originally posted by 276k-1under View Post
              MTA police from what i read on older posts goes through NYPD academy. What about the process like medical, psychological exam and investigator is that all through NYPD or MTA have there own?
              does anybody know?
              Medical is through MTA. Psych and poly are through another company. Background investigation is done through the department.

              Comment


              • How's the poly? Do they ask a lot of questions? I have taken several polys and I am not a big fan. Passed one, failed one. Go figure

                Comment


                • I paid the exam fee but I am still waiting on the actual invitation to take the test. Anyone else waiting on that?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Bassboy View Post
                    I paid the exam fee but I am still waiting on the actual invitation to take the test. Anyone else waiting on that?
                    I am waiting as well. When is your exam? Mine is in feb.

                    Comment


                    • Same for me. Paid my fee last month and received a confirmation email stating that I will be taking the exam JANUARY 2017. No exact date was specified, and I have not received any emails since...

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by vinny13 View Post

                        I am waiting as well. When is your exam? Mine is in feb.
                        Mine is for January 22, 2017. Paid my fee on November 22 which was the same day I got the email request from MTA to pay for the exam .

                        That email states they have to receive payment by 12/6 from everybody taking the test, so im assuming we will get the invitation to the test after that

                        Comment


                        • Just paid today. In the original email that requested payment it stated that the MTA anticipates to administer a test February 26, 2017. Just waiting for the official invitation.

                          Comment


                          • Anyone here live out of state and planing to go to NYC to take the test?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by stark4 View Post
                              Anyone here live out of state and planing to go to NYC to take the test?
                              You do realize in order to be appointed you have to live here right?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Bassboy View Post

                                You do realize in order to be appointed you have to live here right?
                                Actually its anywhere in the tri-state area. NY, NJ or CT.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 9315 users online. 460 members and 8855 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X