300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meds and Police Work

I am processing for a few police departments such as NYPD, NY Corrections and Nassau Police, NY State Troopers and am very sensitive to gluten and some other foods. When I eat certain foods my focus can be thrown off for days and I get gas and muscle pains. From time to time I take my prescription adderall to help me manage my focus until my focus is back on track. Is me taking my prescription adderall from my doctor going to be a problem with me becoming a police officer?

We're not doctors here so take it for what it is. the initial medical will go over your entire medical history. Yes, that includes any and all medications you've taken for whatever reasons. You're expected to be truthful and list them all and if the folks at the medical see anything questionable they'll likely put you on review to have it sorted out. I strongly recommended you to bring any documents/medical notes regarding this.

Whether this issue of yours hinders police work depends on the doctors. However, since you mentioned "focus", I'm inclinded to say yes, it can impact your ability to conduct police work.

Good luck with the process bro.
    Last edited by honestabels; 04-28-2015, 12:05 PM.
    "Relax, the handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch out after you wear them awhile."

Comment

regular food allergies wouldn't be a problem...Adderall or any other drug that stabilizes brain function, well, good luck, I don't see many departments, if any, hiring you.
      Sorry.

Comment

Especially if you are checking out for days at a time...
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I take adderall and have for years. I'm a patrol shift supervisor with my agency.
          Last edited by vdfnco; 04-28-2015, 06:02 PM.
          1*

Comment

Before you were hired, or after?
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by vdfnco View Post
              I take adderall and have for years. I'm a patrol shift supervisor with my agency.
              Were you taking it before you were hired, or did you start taking it after you were on the job? It makes a big difference legally in how your employer can treat you.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I see issues in your medical. Staying focused is primary in police work.
                Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7418 users online. 393 members and 7025 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X