Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joining US Air Guard while working for nypd?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Joining US Air Guard while working for nypd?

    I am due for the academy this summer and was wondering if after I complete the NYPD 6 month academy could I sign up to enlist in the US Air Guard? I know they have a basic training that requires 8 weeks of training. Would anyone be able to help me?
    Exams Taken:
    NYPD, NYPDSSA ,NYPDTEA NYCDEP, NYCDOC ,NYCDOS Enforcement, PAPD ,NYSDOC, NYPD dispatcher, NCPD, NYS Trooper, NYS University Police (downstate/upstate), Monroe County PD, Chenango Sheriff, Rochester PD, YPD ,OC Sheriff.

    In Process:
    NYPDPC Exam 2214
    APD5- Complete
    Medical- Complete

    JST- 11/20/2013
    Oral/Psyc- 11/27/2013
    Mini Med - ?

  • #2
    I’m going to suggest it’s not the brightest idea in the world.

    You will have just gotten out of the academy and will not only be starting your FTO program, but about to embark on the first part of an overall career learning process that will take several years to complete. Instead of showing commitment to the career path you have chosen, you want to switch gears and go play military for a while.

    If you do that, I seriously doubt your peers or your supervisors will ever take your seriously.

    Good luck passing probation.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

    Comment


    • #3
      Don't listen to the comment above me, I know plenty of people that went on to join the military after completing the nypd academy. One of my close friends joined within 6 months of finishing the academy. There is a lot of benefits in doing both. And no supervisor is going to look down on you for doing so. The only thing you have to do is get your CO of the command you end up in to sign off on it.

      Youre also better off joining the military after joining the nypd as well since you get paid leave from the pd for military and anytime you are on deployment your time still counts.

      Comment


      • #4
        He thinks NYPD has an FTO program. Lol.
        Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. An all expenses paid trip with travel, meals, and accommodations included!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Speedyx View Post
          Don't listen to the comment above me, I know plenty of people that went on to join the military after completing the nypd academy. One of my close friends joined within 6 months of finishing the academy. There is a lot of benefits in doing both. And no supervisor is going to look down on you for doing so. The only thing you have to do is get your CO of the command you end up in to sign off on it.

          Youre also better off joining the military after joining the nypd as well since you get paid leave from the pd for military and anytime you are on deployment your time still counts.
          I would like to thank you for your remarks Speedyx, as I was thinking about joining the Air Force (as a reservist) after the academy.
          NYC Corrections Exam: 2322
          Academy: March 2015 (Got the call!!) NYCDOC

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by republicangopmh View Post
            I would like to thank you for your remarks Speedyx, as I was thinking about joining the Air Force (as a reservist) after the academy.
            I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing. I would of done it a couple months, but I didn't want to risk missing appointments for processing for the academy.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by yupherewego21 View Post
              I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing. I would of done it a couple months, but I didn't want to risk missing appointments for processing for the academy.
              Awesome man! and yeah I don't want to miss appointments while at BMT, so it's best after the academy. What exam are you?
              NYC Corrections Exam: 2322
              Academy: March 2015 (Got the call!!) NYCDOC

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by republicangopmh View Post
                Awesome man! and yeah I don't want to miss appointments while at BMT, so it's best after the academy. What exam are you?
                If it's something you want to do... wait till your on the job to enlist. So many more benefits to enlist while on. Time keeps moving while in bootcamp, training, etc... You can join day one out the academy.
                Last edited by Mdel210201; 01-26-2015, 08:11 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by PuertoRican_COP View Post
                  I am due for the academy this summer and was wondering if after I complete the NYPD 6 month academy could I sign up to enlist in the US Air Guard? I know they have a basic training that requires 8 weeks of training. Would anyone be able to help me?
                  It used to be you need the PC's approval, now it's a form from your CO that goes up through channels. Yes, it's pretty simple and there are plenty of benefits for doing both. The NYPD is extremely military friendly. I'm very familiar with this procedure, as I nearly went in myself a while back. Just don't let anyone talk you out of it. That was my mistake.

                  Don't disregard L-1's comment though. He isn't wrong when he says it may be wise to wait until you learn the job a little bit before embarking off for months at a time. Not years or anything, but maybe a good 6 months to a year so you at least have an inkling of how the job works and how to do the job, because I assure you the academy will accomplish neither of those things. Besides, as a rookie, your CO can keep that paperwork going through channels for months and months if he or she wants to.
                  sigpic
                  __________________

                  "I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

                  -Thee Rant (surprisingly)
                  __________________

                  Originally posted by NYCTNT
                  DF,

                  Why do you bother?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I joined the army national guard with a little over a year on nypd. It's worth it. If I were u I would go to boot camp in November and graduate in February so that u can use 60 military days as opposed to 30. That way u get paid by both nypd and the government for the complete duration of boot camp. If u get bah on top of it, you can make almost 6 grand a month if u live in long island, more if you live in the city.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You mean the Air National Guard? No such thing as the U.S. Air Guard. Might help if you knew what you were trying to join...
                      Now go home and get your shine box!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SCPDhopeful View Post
                        I joined the army national guard with a little over a year on nypd. It's worth it. If I were u I would go to boot camp in November and graduate in February so that u can use 60 military days as opposed to 30. That way u get paid by both nypd and the government for the complete duration of boot camp. If u get bah on top of it, you can make almost 6 grand a month if u live in long island, more if you live in the city.
                        Sounds like a plan SCPD! Thanks
                        NYC Corrections Exam: 2322
                        Academy: March 2015 (Got the call!!) NYCDOC

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by republicangopmh View Post
                          Awesome man! and yeah I don't want to miss appointments while at BMT, so it's best after the academy. What exam are you?
                          3310, medical is in beginning of Feb so here's hoping for the July class. I'm also in the middle of processing for Nassau County Police, so who knows.

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 6175 users online. 323 members and 5852 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X