Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orange County Sheriffs Office

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Orange County Sheriffs Office

    Can anyone advise the particulars regarding the Orange County Sheriffs Office (Road Patrol Division) retirement system information? It is my understanding that Sheriffs in NYS are generally placed in the ERS (section 13 possibly?) instead of PFRS. Is their agency under 20 (552/553) yr or 25 (551/551E) yr retirement? I know that time served in other police agencies generally counts up front when transferring in. 1/60th's would be determined based on whether it was 553/ or 551E from what I'm reading.
    Last edited by CFD230; 01-13-2015, 05:46 PM.

  • #2
    Bump. _________________________

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by CFD230 View Post
      Can anyone advise the particulars regarding the Orange County Sheriffs Office (Road Patrol Division) retirement system information? It is my understanding that Sheriffs in NYS are generally placed in the ERS (section 13 possibly?) instead of PFRS. Is their agency under 20 (552/553) yr or 25 (551/551E) yr retirement? I know that time served in other police agencies generally counts up front when transferring in. 1/60th's would be determined based on whether it was 553/ or 551E from what I'm reading.

      Most of the Sheriff's Offices here in the Hudson Valley are NYSLRS (Tier 4)for both the Criminal and Corrections Division. 20 year retirement for Deputy Sheriffs (Police) and 25 year retirement for Corrections staff. County governments up this way are too cheap to pay the higher costs associated with PFRS that comes along with enhanced benefits not available to NYSLRS.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you County Correction for the info.. That info regarding their 20 yr retirement is good to hear just in case. It appears that there is not much difference to the eye when comparing 20 year sheriff retirement deals under nyslrs vs what most agencies give under pfrs though ? I'm assuming sheriffs get true 3/4 not like what NYPD tier 3's are being deprived of. The number of agencies offering 1/60th's are probably peppered throughout the state, not necessarily a deal breaker. Although in the big picture, the NYPD tier 3 is almost as bad as it gets so sheriffs tier 4 or 5 whatever it would be, is seen as an upgrade. Nypd tier 3 retirees will have their pensions offset by social security when they reach the age of receiving ss, their is no 1/60th's provision, no Increased Take Home Pay and no 3/4. LODD benefits I believe only last for 3 years and OT is capped at 10%. If given the option, I think I'd go

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CFD230 View Post
          Thank you County Correction for the info.. That info regarding their 20 yr retirement is good to hear just in case. It appears that there is not much difference to the eye when comparing 20 year sheriff retirement deals under nyslrs vs what most agencies give under pfrs though ? I'm assuming sheriffs get true 3/4 not like what NYPD tier 3's are being deprived of. The number of agencies offering 1/60th's are probably peppered throughout the state, not necessarily a deal breaker. Although in the big picture, the NYPD tier 3 is almost as bad as it gets so sheriffs tier 4 or 5 whatever it would be, is seen as an upgrade. Nypd tier 3 retirees will have their pensions offset by social security when they reach the age of receiving ss, their is no 1/60th's provision, no Increased Take Home Pay and no 3/4. LODD benefits I believe only last for 3 years and OT is capped at 10%. If given the option, I think I'd go
          Sheriffs,county corrections and police enrollment in NYSLRS Tiers 4 & 5 are the SAME as the rest of civilian public employees under LRS with the exception of 20&25 years out at any age retirement. There is no such thing as a 3/4 "injured on the job" disability pension under LRS unlike state police and NYPD. Under LRS tiers 3,4 and 5 its called Accidental Disability Retirement that caps out at 33% of your average hi-three salary. Futhermore, under Tier 5; you need TEN years to vest and you're contributing three percent of your gross pay toward your retirement as long as you're employed in the public service.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CFD230 View Post
            Thank you County Correction for the info.. That info regarding their 20 yr retirement is good to hear just in case. It appears that there is not much difference to the eye when comparing 20 year sheriff retirement deals under nyslrs vs what most agencies give under pfrs though ? I'm assuming sheriffs get true 3/4 not like what NYPD tier 3's are being deprived of. The number of agencies offering 1/60th's are probably peppered throughout the state, not necessarily a deal breaker. Although in the big picture, the NYPD tier 3 is almost as bad as it gets so sheriffs tier 4 or 5 whatever it would be, is seen as an upgrade. Nypd tier 3 retirees will have their pensions offset by social security when they reach the age of receiving ss, their is no 1/60th's provision, no Increased Take Home Pay and no 3/4. LODD benefits I believe only last for 3 years and OT is capped at 10%. If given the option, I think I'd go
            There are only three county police departments in the state: Westchester, Nassau, and Suffolk. All of them are in PFRS. The sheriff's departments in Nassau and Suffolk and the sheriffs departments in the remaining counties in New York (except Westchester as they don't have a sheriff's department) are in the ERS system (employee retirement system).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by EnWhyPeeDee View Post
              There are only three county police departments in the state: Westchester, Nassau, and Suffolk. All of them are in PFRS. The sheriff's departments in Nassau and Suffolk and the sheriffs departments in the remaining counties in New York (except Westchester as they don't have a sheriff's department) are in the ERS system (employee retirement system).
              ERS is state employees only; LRS (Local Retirement System) is for other NY political subdivisions except NYC and school districts. School District,SUNY and County Community College employees (administrators,teachers,professors,aides,clerical staff) are covered by NYSTRS. Upstate County Governments are too cheap to pay for the enhanced benefits of PFRS for their sworn sheriff's office deputy sheriffs and correction officers.ALL Newly hired public service employees are enrolled in Tier 5.
              Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 01-21-2015, 02:45 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post
                ERS is state employees only; LRS (Local Retirement System) is for other NY political subdivisions except NYC and school districts. School District,SUNY and County Community College employees (administrators,teachers,professors,aides,clerical staff) are covered by NYSTRS. Upstate County Governments are too cheap to pay for the enhanced benefits of PFRS for their sworn sheriff's office deputy sheriffs and correction officers.ALL Newly hired public service employees are enrolled in Tier 5.
                Typo on my part. http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/pu...841/index.php#

                Comment

                MR300x250 Tablet

                Collapse

                What's Going On

                Collapse

                There are currently 5755 users online. 317 members and 5438 guests.

                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                Welcome Ad

                Collapse
                Working...
                X