300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pride and Integrity

Hi all. I recently travelled to NY to take the NYPD exam. Unaware of what to expect, and with the mentality that I was about to begin a career application process, I dressed for the occasion. I didn't wear full suit, but I wore trousers and a button up shirt. I believe you should always made yourself presentable from day one. I was shocked to see that I was the ONLY one who made an effort. I understand that this was an 'outside' agency that conducts the test and not NYPD itself, but I felt like i was in the mix of a hip hop video or sporting event.

Now I'm not saying that I saw any issues with anyones conduct, but It did raise some questions as to what I was applying for. Is this truly a professional dept? Are people hired simply to make up the numbers? Is there a standard of pride once hired? Can anyone fill me in on the standard of training and the quality of officers once they leave the academy?

I went with high hopes of competing to be part of 'the best police department in America' but I left with many questions of the mindset of the personnel I may have to one day rely on.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks a lot.

It's America. Get used to it.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Lmaooooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by Johnuk23 View Post
        Hi all. I recently travelled to NY to take the NYPD exam. Unaware of what to expect, and with the mentality that I was about to begin a career application process, I dressed for the occasion. I didn't wear full suit, but I wore trousers and a button up shirt. I believe you should always made yourself presentable from day one. I was shocked to see that I was the ONLY one who made an effort. I understand that this was an 'outside' agency that conducts the test and not NYPD itself, but I felt like i was in the mix of a hip hop video or sporting event.

Now I'm not saying that I saw any issues with anyones conduct, but It did raise some questions as to what I was applying for. Is this truly a professional dept? Are people hired simply to make up the numbers? Is there a standard of pride once hired? Can anyone fill me in on the standard of training and the quality of officers once they leave the academy?

I went with high hopes of competing to be part of 'the best police department in America' but I left with many questions of the mindset of the personnel I may have to one day rely on.

Really bro, like really? Is this truly a professional dept???

Just withdraw.

Comment

What's funny is everyone from out of NY thinks NYPD is the most professional law enforcement agency ever. Everyone who lives in NY knows otherwise and it's not the top pick for most depts. I'm not saying the NYPD doesn't have professionals, but in terms of benefits and management there are plenty of better departments to get picked up by. Quite a few people I know including myself chose corrections (not city) over NYPD.

As for dressing up, it's a civil service exam. You dress comfortable for those. The job I got hired on I wore pajamas to the exam! Lol! Once you begin the real hiring process is when you dress to impress.
          Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. An all expenses paid trip with travel, meals, and accommodations included!

Comment

Originally posted by Decided View Post
            What's funny is everyone from out of NY thinks NYPD is the most professional law enforcement agency ever. Everyone who lives in NY knows otherwise and it's not the top pick for most depts. I'm not saying the NYPD doesn't have professionals, but in terms of benefits and management there are plenty of better departments to get picked up by. Quite a few people I know including myself chose corrections (not city) over NYPD.

As for dressing up, it's a civil service exam. You dress comfortable for those. The job I got hired on I wore pajamas to the exam! Lol! Once you begin the real hiring process is when you dress to impress.
            Corrections is an honorable profession.

Comment

Serious question though. What were people wearing that made you feel like you was in a hiphop video? With a force of 30k im sure every single one of those guys and gals only have dress shirts blazers dress pants and skirts for the females. **** I would be surprised if those shoes werent shined to the point I could see my reflection when I went to take my tests.

Comment

LMAO no one cares about how you dress to take the exam, you could have came with flip flops, short and a t-shirt for all anyone cares (jk).. You now have a 3.5 year wait, congrats and let the count down begin.
                NYC Corrections Exam: 2322
                Academy: March 2015 (Got the call!!) NYCDOC

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, for the rest of the hiring process you have to wear business attire.
                  NYPD Exam 2344 -- 06/2012 || List# 1XXX -- 01/2013
                  APD 5: - 5/2014 | Medical: 10/14 - Passed | Written Psych: 10/14 - Completed
                  Oral Psych: 11/14 - Passed | BI Meeting: 01/15 - Completed
                  JST: 04/15 - Completed | Mini Med: 04/15 - Completed || GOT THE EMAIL! 07/02/15

Comment

Realize a few things. It takes about 2+ years for the process to EVEN BEGIN from when you take the initial exam. They say that only 10% make it through the process. People get disqualified. People say nevermind i have a better job. People say i have a safer job. People say its not for me. Kids are just getting out of high school. People get into the academy and cant hack it and then drop out.

There is no need to waste resources hiring someone to enforce something as petty as a dress code for whats probably the least important part of the process. I dont even consider it an exam, in my eyes it was the same as going into CVS and applying there.
                    Nypd Exam #: 3314
                    Score: 100%
                    list#: <100

apd-5: Completed
                    met with BI: Completed
                    Mini-med: Completed
                    medical: PASS
                    written psych: PASS
                    oral psych: PASS
                    Jst: PASS

JAN 6, 2016 CLASS : Dec 23, 2015 @ 19:11

Comment

Originally posted by TheMannis View Post
                      Realize a few things. It takes about 2+ years for the process to EVEN BEGIN from when you take the initial exam. They say that only 10% make it through the process. People get disqualified. People say nevermind i have a better job. People say i have a safer job. People say its not for me. Kids are just getting out of high school. People get into the academy and cant hack it and then drop out.

There is no need to waste resources hiring someone to enforce something as petty as a dress code for whats probably the least important part of the process. I dont even consider it an exam, in my eyes it was the same as going into CVS and applying there.
                      And maybe this is what I'm talking about. It appears that a lot of people treated it like a job at CVS. Im not saying people need to have their finest tuxedo's, but is it too much to be business casual? In my eyes it process begins on day 1. Test day is the first step regardless of how many of you salty old dogs want to throw out your disgruntled opinions. Yes it takes 3 years…. So? Maybe i just went OTT and thats fine. Not knowing what I was walking in to, I felt it was better to be over dressed than under.

Comment

There is no dress code to take a civil service exam in NYC. IF you pass you will be expected to dress in business attire for all aspects of the background investigation.

"Is this a professional Department". If you are asking if we call everybody sir or madam or give everybody we stop a ticket or wear starched pressed uniforms you will be disappointed. To tell the truth when assembled we tend to look like the patrons of the Star Wars cantina. Its a large department you will find guys and girls from all walks of life of every race religion and sexual orientation. They may not resemble what you pictured a police officer to look like but they do big city police work and do it well. Now before you ask if we're professional enough for you I want to know if your man enough to be one of us.

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
                          To tell the truth when assembled we tend to look like the patrons of the Star Wars cantina.
                          el-oh-el
                          NYPD Exam 2344 -- 06/2012 || List# 1XXX -- 01/2013
                          APD 5: - 5/2014 | Medical: 10/14 - Passed | Written Psych: 10/14 - Completed
                          Oral Psych: 11/14 - Passed | BI Meeting: 01/15 - Completed
                          JST: 04/15 - Completed | Mini Med: 04/15 - Completed || GOT THE EMAIL! 07/02/15

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
                            There is no dress code to take a civil service exam in NYC. IF you pass you will be expected to dress in business attire for all aspects of the background investigation.

"Is this a professional Department". If you are asking if we call everybody sir or madam or give everybody we stop a ticket or wear starched pressed uniforms you will be disappointed. To tell the truth when assembled we tend to look like the patrons of the Star Wars cantina. Its a large department you will find guys and girls from all walks of life of every race religion and sexual orientation. They may not resemble what you pictured a police officer to look like but they do big city police work and do it well. Now before you ask if we're professional enough for you I want to know if your man enough to be one of us.
                            Well I don't need to tell you if I'm man enough. My work speaks for itself and my actions always will. The main point to my question was - does the NYPD let people graduate the academy just to fill spots, or do they truly focus on quality?

Comment

Your question regarding graduates shows you need work...

With your attitude, it's going to be a long haul.
                              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4524 users online. 290 members and 4234 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X