300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stony Btook University Police

University Police Officer 1 (4 Positions)

Institution:
    Stony Brook University

Category:
    Admin - Police and Public Safety

Posted:
    01/02/2015

Type:
    Full Time

Campus Description: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,040-acre campus is home to 24,600 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities. Stony Brook Medicine is Suffolk County's only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. Many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments with BNL or with Medical School departments.

Budget Title: same as above

REF#: WC-S-9420-15-01-S

Department: University Police

Grade: SG.14

State Classified Position

State Line#: 43280, 16075, 27024, 27116

Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC

Required Qualifications: Per Civil Service Standards and Specifications. Must have taken and passed the specific job related Civil Service exam and be reachable on the appropriate Civil Service list. Sixty semester credit hours at a regionally accredited college or university which is recognized by New York State Education Department having followed acceptable practices. Must have, keep and maintain the appropriate valid NYS Driver's License; have a motor vehicle record which is free from major violations or a pattern of repeat violations. Applicants must submit their operator's license number on their application form for a motor vehicle check.(***Out-of-State Applicants, see "Special Notes" .) Required to successfully complete a physical/medical examination, psychological evaluation, agility performance test, background check and a police basic training course at the Training Academy as well as a Field Training Program to be retained in this position.
    Preferred Qualifications:

Brief Description of Duties: The University Police Officer will be responsible for the following: •Responds to calls for assistance to insure that persons and property are adequately protected.
    •May respond to situations involving, but not restricted to burglaries, robberies, thefts, criminal trespass, assault, criminal mischief, medical emergencies.
    •Regulates pedestrian and vehicular traffic and may enforce vehicle and traffic laws.
    •Walks or drives through area of patrol in order to deter criminal activity, means of presence and witness and detect fires and other dangerous situations. On all assignments, prepares a variety of shift summary reports, logs and records covering activities of criminal nature or unusual nature and other security related activities.
    Other Duties: As assigned.

Special Notes: These are full time positions, 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, hours vary. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Mandatory rehire roster candidates have preference. Night and weekend work is required. Must be able to perform mandatory overtime.

Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.

***Out-of-State Applicants: Please note as a condition of employment and in order for this position to be tendered, the successful incumbent will be required to provide evidence of a valid license and driving abstract from the state issuing the license within five business days of a conditional offer and must obtain a NYS driver's license within 30 days of acceptance of offer.

The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.

Application Procedure: Those who are interested in this position and meet the required qualifications, should submit a State employment application to:

Human Resource Services
    State Classified Appointments
    Administration Building, Room 390
    Stony Brook University
    Stony Brook, NY 11794-0751

Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 01/14/2015, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.

STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY.
    IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
    IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police

Job Category: F) Public Safety and Security.
    Posting Date: 12/31/2014
    Additional Categories:PI87740940
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
    University Police Officer 1 (4 Positions)

Institution:
    Stony Brook University

Category:
    Admin - Police and Public Safety

Posted:
    01/02/2015

Type:
    Full Time

Campus Description: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,040-acre campus is home to 24,600 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities. Stony Brook Medicine is Suffolk County's only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. Many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments with BNL or with Medical School departments.

Budget Title: same as above

REF#: WC-S-9420-15-01-S

Department: University Police

Grade: SG.14

State Classified Position

State Line#: 43280, 16075, 27024, 27116

Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC

Required Qualifications: Per Civil Service Standards and Specifications. Must have taken and passed the specific job related Civil Service exam and be reachable on the appropriate Civil Service list. Sixty semester credit hours at a regionally accredited college or university which is recognized by New York State Education Department having followed acceptable practices. Must have, keep and maintain the appropriate valid NYS Driver's License; have a motor vehicle record which is free from major violations or a pattern of repeat violations. Applicants must submit their operator's license number on their application form for a motor vehicle check.(***Out-of-State Applicants, see "Special Notes" .) Required to successfully complete a physical/medical examination, psychological evaluation, agility performance test, background check and a police basic training course at the Training Academy as well as a Field Training Program to be retained in this position.
    Preferred Qualifications:

Brief Description of Duties: The University Police Officer will be responsible for the following: •Responds to calls for assistance to insure that persons and property are adequately protected.
    •May respond to situations involving, but not restricted to burglaries, robberies, thefts, criminal trespass, assault, criminal mischief, medical emergencies.
    •Regulates pedestrian and vehicular traffic and may enforce vehicle and traffic laws.
    •Walks or drives through area of patrol in order to deter criminal activity, means of presence and witness and detect fires and other dangerous situations. On all assignments, prepares a variety of shift summary reports, logs and records covering activities of criminal nature or unusual nature and other security related activities.
    Other Duties: As assigned.

Special Notes: These are full time positions, 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, hours vary. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Mandatory rehire roster candidates have preference. Night and weekend work is required. Must be able to perform mandatory overtime.

Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.

***Out-of-State Applicants: Please note as a condition of employment and in order for this position to be tendered, the successful incumbent will be required to provide evidence of a valid license and driving abstract from the state issuing the license within five business days of a conditional offer and must obtain a NYS driver's license within 30 days of acceptance of offer.

The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.

Application Procedure: Those who are interested in this position and meet the required qualifications, should submit a State employment application to:

Human Resource Services
    State Classified Appointments
    Administration Building, Room 390
    Stony Brook University
    Stony Brook, NY 11794-0751

Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 01/14/2015, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.

STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY.
    IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
    IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police

Job Category: F) Public Safety and Security.
    Posting Date: 12/31/2014
    Additional Categories:PI87740940
    Where did you get this information from? And where to get the application?

Comment

You must already be on the suny pd list for downstate. Each school must announce their vacancies even if they don't intend to hire.

Comment

They just hired 5 who are, I believe, in the suffolk academy. They also just sent out canvass letters for this new vacancy.

Comment

I actually found it on a college hiring website.
          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Just got canvassed for this position. Can anyone give the short version on health benefits, soft money and pension?

Comment

Jager, what stage are you in the canvassing process, did you get interviewed yet? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what score are you?

The whole UPD process is a little crazy, I guess because each school has it's own hiring process that seems completely separate from the others. I scored a 90 and my history of canvassing over the past few months goes something like this:

May: Stony Brook sent me a canvassing letter. I replied, scheduled the agility test and subsequently passed. Didn't hear back from them regarding the scheduling of an interview.

A few months later Farmingdale sent me a canvassing letter. I replied back with my application packet/passing agility slip and scheduled an interview. I had an interview that seemed to go well but received a rejection letter stating that I was not called at this time and would still be eligible for future positions.

A few months after receiving the rejection letter, I received another canvassing letter from Farmingdale and also from Westbury to schedule a physical. I submitted my application packet and passing agility slip to both schools just a week or so before Christmas and haven't heard back from either yet about an interview.

Just recently, a friend of mine in SBU University PD told me that they would be hiring a few more officers so I should fill out the application packet on the SBU's website and submit it. I did submit it by the last filing date, but I never received a canvassing letter. Human Resources told me that 90's were eligible but that not all were sent canvassing letters (I wonder how they determine who gets one?).

Not complaining at all. It's a lot of getting your hopes up replying to canvassing letters, but at least I feel like I am getting a shot at it. I scored a 97.5 on the SCPD test and haven't heard a word from them in over 3 years. Don't know if my chances are any better with UPD, but at least all the canvassing letters make it feel as if it is haha.

Comment

This is a good department with great officers, trainers and supervisors. Only downside to it is, you may get Southampton Campus and commute can be very long if you don't live around there.

Good luck to everyone who's been called for a position in that department.

Comment

Originally posted by M1garand View Post
                  This is a good department with great officers, trainers and supervisors. Only downside to it is, you may get Southampton Campus and commute can be very long if you don't live around there.

Good luck to everyone who's been called for a position in that department.

Thanks for the info! That's what I have been told by a friend of mine, the Southhampton commute is a long one and time doesn't pass as quickly there as it does on the main campus where a lot is going on. Still, I'll take that commute over NYC any day!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6343 users online. 350 members and 5993 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X