Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to dress/look when meeting investigator

Hey guys,
    I have taken both SSA, and PO exams. However, PO takes a bit longer so I'm currently in the process of SSA.
    To any of you who have met with your investigators, can you provide any useful tips?
    I plan on wearing a suit and tie, but in regards to facial hair.. must one be CLEAN shave? I have a goatee with a small shade beard.
    Does this affect the process in any way when I meet the investigator?
    Also if this does affect the process, how do they handle those who grow their beards for religious purposes?
    Thanks!
    Exam: 3313 list: 2xx

Originally posted by shady9206 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have taken both SSA, and PO exams. However, PO takes a bit longer so I'm currently in the process of SSA.
    To any of you who have met with your investigators, can you provide any useful tips?
    I plan on wearing a suit and tie, but in regards to facial hair.. must one be CLEAN shave? I have a goatee with a small shade beard.
    Does this affect the process in any way when I meet the investigator?
    Also if this does affect the process, how do they handle those who grow their beards for religious purposes?
    Thanks!
    I have a goatee. Haven't shaved it throughout this whole process. Will shave if and when I get the call.
    Last edited by LRN170; 01-01-2015, 09:31 AM.
    Exam# 2311
    List: 5XX
    Medical: 2/14 (On Review)
    Medical Review: 2/14 (Done)
    Social Media Check: 2/14 (Done)
    Met With BI: 2/14 (Done)
    Psych Written: 3/14 (Done)
    Psych Oral: 3/14 (Done) (Passed!!!!)
    JST: 3/14 (Done) JST#2: 11/14 (Done)
    Mini Med: 6/14 (Done) MiniMed #2: 11/14 (Done)

Missed July 2014 class... Let's go January 2015

GOT THE CALL 1/3/2015 12:01PM

Comment

Why risk it?

Comment

Originally posted by WhyCantIFindANameThatHasntBeenPickedYet View Post
        Why risk it?
        Risk what ? There's no rules against it

Comment

Originally posted by NYCpoorest View Post
          Having been through it all and after going through an academy. Risk is any move or word you say it is all being watched and don't ever think it isnt. Personally those who want the job more give a good appearance. If you take the time to be clean shaven for an interview it gives yourself a good look and definitely doesn't hurt.

Comment

I'm sure if it's clean it won't be a problem

Comment

I'm sure if it's clean it won't be a problem I would go clean shave because I have been used to it working Ems for 4 years.

Comment

Shave it, not worth risking leaving a bad impression.
                NYPD EXAM: 4312
                Score: 9X
                List: 1XX

NY Court Officer Exam - Oct 2014
                Score : ?
                List # : ?

Bridge & Tunnel Officer Exam : March 21 2015
                Score : 100
                List : ?

Comment

to add; its not about your personal opinions about your facial hairs its how others view it. The person interviewing you may have a different outlook on it than others and you will never know it. That mere concept of the unknown should be plenty of reason enough for you to just shave it. From my experiences more than none it was always the universal rule in interviewing to have it all shaved regardless of a written rule or not. Once you have the job, know the ropes and level of facial hair that is acceptable then by all means go for it. If you don't have the job then just as i am saying and what many whom you may ask will say, Why risk it?

Comment

No silly Mohawks either guys.
                    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Honestly the NYPD lets anyone slide. People showed up to mini meds with jeans and they say go home and resedchule. I say you should never risk it but let's be honest here and say this is civil service. If your breathing and you pass the steps you legally have to be hired.
                      Somewhere working...

Comment

Make a real statement, show up in a zoot suit.

Comment

This is true but isn't it worth taking every step you can to put your self ahead? Let's be honest with our selves, for each job we apply for there are another 500 guys that have the same exact resume then our selves, why wouldn't I do everything I could to separate my self from this cookie cutter cut out we all follow. I'll be honest, with all the time that elapses between steps I let my self go so much that I've had people put coins in my drink lol, but when a day like today for example(board interview) I cut my hair, shave my face so I look like I'm 15, moisturize my ashy shaved face, get my suit from the dry cleaners, trim my nails/ clean the car grease off them, and any other thing I can do just so I do everything I can and don't regret it later on. It is one day I have to give up my appearance to try to land a job in the career of my dreams, which when I do land that job I will have to always be clean shaven.

Sorry for being long winded, I know we all see things differently but have a common goal it helps to see things from other POV.

Comment

Originally posted by WhyCantIFindANameThatHasntBeenPickedYet View Post
                            This is true but isn't it worth taking every step you can to put your self ahead? Let's be honest with our selves, for each job we apply for there are another 500 guys that have the same exact resume then our selves, why wouldn't I do everything I could to separate my self from this cookie cutter cut out we all follow. I'll be honest, with all the time that elapses between steps I let my self go so much that I've had people put coins in my drink lol, but when a day like today for example(board interview) I cut my hair, shave my face so I look like I'm 15, moisturize my ashy shaved face, get my suit from the dry cleaners, trim my nails/ clean the car grease off them, and any other thing I can do just so I do everything I can and don't regret it later on. It is one day I have to give up my appearance to try to land a job in the career of my dreams, which when I do land that job I will have to always be clean shaven.

Sorry for being long winded, I know we all see things differently but have a common goal it helps to see things from other POV.
                            It's civil service if I meet every requirement they have to give me the job

Comment

It's civil service if I meet every requirement they have to give me the job

I hate to break it to you Skippy, but you have DQ written all over you.

First, you need to understand that law enforcement is not black and white. There is a lot of grey and an applicant has to be flexible enough to work within the grey. Next, being successful in law enforcement means you aren’t out for just yourself. Instead, you have to be able to work effectively as a team member. Your two above statements suggest you’re going to have difficulties with the background and the psych.

Among other things, the background confirms you possess the minimum requirements for the position and determines whether there is anything in your personal history that meets the criteria for disqualification. However, your BI is also evaluating your attitude and demeanor. If you come off as someone who has an “in your face” attitude, who is not a team player, who pushes the limits just because he can, or who is going to come onto the department telling the agency how it will run itself, it’s like asking to be DQed.

There is a truism in supervision and management – you spend 5% of your time supervising 95% of your people and 95% of your time supervising 5% of your people. Your BI has a lot of latitude in interpreting the information he develops. If you present yourself as someone who is going to be one of the 5%, then you are a guaranteed DQ. It’s easy to do. For example, most agencies have boilerplate minimum qualifications. They are all fairly common. My agency’s standards say:

All candidates shall possess the general qualifications of integrity, honesty, sobriety, dependability, industry, thoroughness, accuracy, good judgment, initiative, resourcefulness, courtesy, ability to work cooperatively with others, willingness and ability to assume the responsibilities and to conform to the conditions of work characteristic of the employment, and a state of health, consistent with the ability to perform the assigned duties of the class. Where the position requires the driving of an automobile, the employee must have a valid state driver's license, a good driving record and is expected to drive the car safely. The foregoing general qualifications shall be deemed to be a part of the personal characteristics of the minimum qualifications of each class specification and need not be specifically set forth therein.

You will make numerous errors on your personal history statement. They may involve dates, addresses, names, you may leave something out, not be able to find something, enter incorrect information or transpose something. A person who is contacted or a document found may contain information different from the data you provided. If you come off as a decent guy with a good attitude who is making a reasonable effort, these conflicts in information may be treated as routine and inconsequential differences. However, if you come off as Mr. I Know My Rights, those conflicts may be looked at as falsifications, or an inability to interpret and follow simple written instructions, or as a lack of industry, thoroughness, accuracy, good judgment, initiative, or resourcefulness, any of which are minimum requirements for the job and grounds for DQ.

So, your attitude and tone can very much be a factor in deciding whether you meet every requirement or are a DQ.

Don’t be “that guy.” Don’t encourage others to be “that guy.”
                              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5410 users online. 371 members and 5039 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X