Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Treatment Assistants in Mental Health now peace officers

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Treatment Assistants in Mental Health now peace officers

    I was suprised to see this bill passed. There are hundreds of these titles throughout the state, they dont even wear uniforms, patrol, or truly do any real law enforcement work. This cant be good for Safety Security Officers already working at these hospitals.

    http://www.nyscopba.org/files/presid..._SHTA_bill.pdf

  • #2
    Originally posted by Nightsquad View Post
    I was suprised to see this bill passed. There are hundreds of these titles throughout the state, they dont even wear uniforms, patrol, or truly do any real law enforcement work. This cant be good for Safety Security Officers already working at these hospitals.

    http://www.nyscopba.org/files/presid..._SHTA_bill.pdf
    "since the assault of a peace officer can be prosecuted as a felony."
    Thats why they did it
    No effect on safety security officers

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Nightsquad View Post
      I was suprised to see this bill passed. There are hundreds of these titles throughout the state, they dont even wear uniforms, patrol, or truly do any real law enforcement work. This cant be good for Safety Security Officers already working at these hospitals.

      http://www.nyscopba.org/files/presid..._SHTA_bill.pdf
      SSOs are in the same union, and work in the same facilities. Their union pushed hard for this. This is good for them as it increases the size of the bargaining unit. Also, it's the right thing to do.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Travis64 View Post
        "since the assault of a peace officer can be prosecuted as a felony."
        Thats why they did it
        No effect on safety security officers
        Can be prosecuted as a felony but keep in mind capacity. Consumers placed under custody of the mental hygiene law often times lack capacity, and other individuals often use the "mental health" card. After nearly two decades in this field my experience has often observed local police agencies and prosecutors using the "they are already confined in a hospital and not a threat to the general public approach" so criminal charges are not vigorously pursued unless certain criteria is met. As far as Safety & Security Officers go at forensic hospitals their numbers are expected to now be reduced. safety and Security Officers used to provide the secure transport of these individuals by virtue of their peace officers status, this may no longer be the case. SSOs may only be responsible in the future for perimeter security only, and basic fire & safety inspections. I will be watching this future change with great concern. SSOs at forensic centers should do the same.

        Comment


        • #5
          Their union pushed hard for this but I can assure you SSOs are not thrilled about this. SHTAs jobs are that mainly of direct care, or in otherwords "treatment assistants". The Safety Officers as peace officers applied the restraints, and performed the transport functions as well as did the incident and investigation reports of incidents inside the facilties. This will surely have an impact down the road, hopefully it won't negiatively impact SSOs at forensic centers. No impact on the regular mental hospitals no but surely some changes will be felt and may impact SSOs in some form. This also does not increase the size of the bargaining unit, you already stated they are in the same Union, it does not expand the numbers. Both titles are in the non corrections bargaining unit of NYSCOPA, but this does not mean any increase. If down the road the union attempts to obtain binding arbitration expansion they better not leave out SSOs who are truly the uniformed law enforcement of the Union outside of the corrections titles. SHTAs cannot deny the fact that in reality they are "treatment assistants" basically care givers, little to no real law enforcement work and that is a fact! That is why every governor has vetoed this bill over the last 20 years.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Nightsquad View Post
            Their union pushed hard for this but I can assure you SSOs are not thrilled about this. SHTAs jobs are that mainly of direct care, or in otherwords "treatment assistants". The Safety Officers as peace officers applied the restraints, and performed the transport functions as well as did the incident and investigation reports of incidents inside the facilties. This will surely have an impact down the road, hopefully it won't negiatively impact SSOs at forensic centers. No impact on the regular mental hospitals no but surely some changes will be felt and may impact SSOs in some form. This also does not increase the size of the bargaining unit, you already stated they are in the same Union, it does not expand the numbers. Both titles are in the non corrections bargaining unit of NYSCOPA, but this does not mean any increase. If down the road the union attempts to obtain binding arbitration expansion they better not leave out SSOs who are truly the uniformed law enforcement of the Union outside of the corrections titles. SHTAs cannot deny the fact that in reality they are "treatment assistants" basically care givers, little to no real law enforcement work and that is a fact! That is why every governor has vetoed this bill over the last 20 years.
            Anytime that a bill is passed to assist members in the bargaining unit is a good thing. Your statement that the SSO title is the Uniformed law enforcement of the Union out side the Corrections title is not true since we have many law enforcement officers in this Union, the Warrant and Transfer Officers are the only 24/7 firearms carrying Peace Officers outside the Corrections title. This bill will not impact the SSO's since the have a totally different job item.

            To throw negativity on this is not a good thing. As the Chief Sector Steward for the WTO's, I welcome anything that will assist a Union member in the performance of their duties. The Union stands strong behind our Executive Board in making sure that all our members are properly represented.

            Before you make disparaging remarks, lets see what happens

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wo 150 View Post
              Anytime that a bill is passed to assist members in the bargaining unit is a good thing. Your statement that the SSO title is the Uniformed law enforcement of the Union out side the Corrections title is not true since we have many law enforcement officers in this Union, the Warrant and Transfer Officers are the only 24/7 firearms carrying Peace Officers outside the Corrections title. This bill will not impact the SSO's since the have a totally different job item.

              To throw negativity on this is not a good thing. As the Chief Sector Steward for the WTO's, I welcome anything that will assist a Union member in the performance of their duties. The Union stands strong behind our Executive Board in making sure that all our members are properly represented.

              Before you make disparaging remarks, lets see what happens
              What Union helps you guys out if you don't mind me asking?


              NYC law enforcement hopeful

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wo 150 View Post
                Anytime that a bill is passed to assist members in the bargaining unit is a good thing. Your statement that the SSO title is the Uniformed law enforcement of the Union out side the Corrections title is not true since we have many law enforcement officers in this Union, the Warrant and Transfer Officers are the only 24/7 firearms carrying Peace Officers outside the Corrections title. This bill will not impact the SSO's since the have a totally different job item.

                To throw negativity on this is not a good thing. As the Chief Sector Steward for the WTO's, I welcome anything that will assist a Union member in the performance of their duties. The Union stands strong behind our Executive Board in making sure that all our members are properly represented.

                Before you make disparaging remarks, lets see what happens
                Wrong, NYS DOCCS Institution Safety Officers are also 24/7 firearms carrying peaceofficers, besides WTOs and the correction title.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CelticLEO View Post
                  Wrong, NYS DOCCS Institution Safety Officers are also 24/7 firearms carrying peaceofficers, besides WTOs and the correction title.
                  Yes you are correct and my apologies for not stating that

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by junior214 View Post
                    what union helps you guys out if you don't mind me asking?


                    Nyc law enforcement hopeful
                    nyscopba

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by wo 150 View Post
                      Yes you are correct and my apologies for not stating that
                      No apology needed. Please be safe out there during this chaos and always.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by wo 150 View Post
                        Anytime that a bill is passed to assist members in the bargaining unit is a good thing. Your statement that the SSO title is the Uniformed law enforcement of the Union out side the Corrections title is not true since we have many law enforcement officers in this Union, the Warrant and Transfer Officers are the only 24/7 firearms carrying Peace Officers outside the Corrections title. This bill will not impact the SSO's since the have a totally different job item.

                        To throw negativity on this is not a good thing. As the Chief Sector Steward for the WTO's, I welcome anything that will assist a Union member in the performance of their duties. The Union stands strong behind our Executive Board in making sure that all our members are properly represented.

                        Before you make disparaging remarks, lets see what happens
                        Whoa just hold on a second, I can assure you the average SSO is watching this with extreme caution. Your the Chief Steward for the WTOs congratulations, but obviously unaware of the long time wedge between the SHTA and SSO titles at forensic facilties. The SSOs, SOs, SSAs, at times have often felt very under represented by past leadership. The numbers of WTOs and now even ISOs are much smaller then the almost 1000 members of SSOs employed by OMH, OPWDD, and DOH. SSOs patrol campuses, respond to medical emergencies, respond to fires, respond to psychiatric emergencies, transport patients to and from hospitals, courts, and execute MHL pick up orders, search for and return missing patients, conduct building fire and safety code inspections, and emrgency management duties, not to mention duties related to JCAHO accredidation. No disrespect to the other titles buts SSOs wear so many more hats then most titles their time is way over due. When was the last time a SHTA, WTO, ISO, or other such title went on patrol in a marked RMP, stopped a vehicle or made contact with an unknown suspicious subject while unarmed??? I am just saying SSOs are the largest group outside of corrections and perform the most diverse group of job duties, rightfully so they diserve to be equally represented and deserving of the same bills that always seem to fly the way of the CO/SHTA legislative efforts. Being in the WTO title I dont expect you to really be in the know of the realities of the SHTA/SSO titles but this legislation "COULD" result in some unintended consequences. Hopefully it wont, but from my understanding it could very well have some impact.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Actually the SSO title is the modern day upgraded title to the ISO. The DOCs made a choice not to upgrade their ISOs from the 9 to todays 12 way back in the day. I have a friend who started as an ISO 9 at DOCs, after OMH, OMRDD, DOH upgraded their ISOs to the SSO 12s he remains as an ISO 9 at DOCS until he transferred to OMRDD as an SSO12. Personally, if ISOs benefit from the binding arbitration benefit it is almost unthinkable how past union leadership thought leaving out the SSOs from the binding arbitration bill was not wrong. Origional ISOs were not only employed by DOCs but todays SSO titles origionated from the ISO titles. Just because firearms and psychiatric centers dont make for a good mix does not take away from the often dangerous work SSOs often encounter, also never forget SSOs are required to conduct themselves with compassion and integrity, even when faced with violent behavior, and even under the watchful eye of the NYS Justic Center.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Nightsquad View Post
                            Actually the SSO title is the modern day upgraded title to the ISO. The DOCs made a choice not to upgrade their ISOs from the 9 to todays 12 way back in the day. I have a friend who started as an ISO 9 at DOCs, after OMH, OMRDD, DOH upgraded their ISOs to the SSO 12s he remains as an ISO 9 at DOCS until he transferred to OMRDD as an SSO12. Personally, if ISOs benefit from the binding arbitration benefit it is almost unthinkable how past union leadership thought leaving out the SSOs from the binding arbitration bill was not wrong. Origional ISOs were not only employed by DOCs but todays SSO titles origionated from the ISO titles. Just because firearms and psychiatric centers dont make for a good mix does not take away from the often dangerous work SSOs often encounter, also never forget SSOs are required to conduct themselves with compassion and integrity, even when faced with violent behavior, and even under the watchful eye of the NYS Justic Center.
                            Nobody ever said the SSO title was not a difficult job, as a former NYC Hospital Cop no one knows that more than me. However you cannot minimize or be negative when another Union title receives a benefit. Trust me, I have had my share of shouting matches with the Union Hierarchy in my attempt to get more for the members of my title. I believe everyone should have binding arbitration regardless of their title. I talk to the Chief Stewards that represent your title and I truly understand the pain you go through and personally feel your title should get more. As far the ISO title, you have to understand that it was an after thought for DOCCS, the original plan was for Parole to hire retired Parole Officers to man the metal detectors and perform the duties that the ISO's perform on a daily basis, then after hearing the down falls that would accompany that decision they came up with the idea of using ISO's. The ISO title is not properly compensated for the work they truly do but since DOCCS has expanded on a title that has truly been dormant for a long time, we have to take smaller steps to get them to where they should be. I truly feel that with Mike Powers and the Executive Board we have now, you might start seeing the changes that you talk about

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think the OP is saying that his job is more important than the SHTAs and that the union shouldn't have fought to get the SHTAs a benefit out of respect for the exalted position of the SSOs. Unions never rise by keeping part of the bargaining unit down. A rising tide lifts all boats.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 2890 users online. 168 members and 2722 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X