Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC COP, Picking up Firearm from NY Gun Shop. Need some Insight

Hello all, had a question, I'm going to get straight to it:

So I'm a Cop here in DC, I'm a Maryland resident (live on the border of DC). Before I was hired and moved to Maryland for the job, I put my gun in storage in Long Island NY @ LI Outdoorsman. Every 6 months I had to pay 50 bucks for an additional 6 months of storage. I called them today to verify they would be open next week Weds, so that I could pick up my firearm, and they stated they would but that they WOULD NOT, be able to release my firearm to me ,even though I'm a cop. The bases for their answer was not really explained, but it was something regarding the fact that I'm not a cop in NY but in DC, and even though I have full credentials that they WERE REQUIRED BY LAW, to do a transfer to Maryland. I was instructed to contact a gunsmith in Maryland to get their information for a transfer, and as I explained the situation to a reputable gunsmith in MD he called BS, on LI Outdoorsman's End. He believed that they were just trying to squeeze some extra money out of me and stated I SHOULD be able to go and get my gun no problem.. So I'm asking from my NY brothers and sisters in blue whats the deal with this debacle, thanks.

You pose an interesting question. I believe the NY FFL is is covering himself. In NYS as a non-resident without a valid permit, you cannot possess that handgun. The dealer would have to ship it to a FFL in your home state. However, as an active Police Officer you are good to carry a concealed handgun in New York. What you can try is this: Get a boss to write on department letterhead that you are covered by 218 and that the handgun in question is one that you are certified to carry and is listed with the agency as a weapon you possess.. That might satisfy the NY FFL's concerns. Otherwise, I think you are stuck with the fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
      You pose an interesting question. I believe the NY FFL is is covering himself. In NYS as a non-resident without a valid permit, you cannot possess that handgun. The dealer would have to ship it to a FFL in your home state. However, as an active Police Officer you are good to carry a concealed handgun in New York. What you can try is this: Get a boss to write on department letterhead that you are covered by 218 and that the handgun in question is one that you are certified to carry and is listed with the agency as a weapon you possess.. That might satisfy the NY FFL's concerns. Otherwise, I think you are stuck with the fee.
      I'm definitely going to try to get an official to write up a letterhead and see if that will swing, thanks Dinosaur32

Comment

Its easy. He needs to ship them to your local gun shop.

You cannot get the guns technically.
        Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

so, NYCTNT....if this was a NEW PURCHASE, would he still have to do the shipping and transfer...or could he purchase and walk out the shop with the firearm?

I ask because it seems like the technicality is that he never owned/purchased the firearm under his status of being a active LEO. The firearm is still owned under a Civilian context.
          Last edited by TruGuardian; 12-18-2014, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Seems like its a "gray" area from some of my LEO'S back home, like TNT said "technically" I can't have them "released" to me, and the "by the book protocol" would be to have it sent to a FFL, but things like this are often held to the discretion of the FFL when dealing with out of state LEO'S. He's probably getting an extra buck out of me, meh.

Comment

So what's easier. Working up a sweat, bugging your COP for a letter, driving back and forth, etc. or just paying $60 to have it shipped and transferred all legal like?
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I would just pay the $60. Maybe you could write it off?
                RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                  So what's easier. Working up a sweat, bugging your COP for a letter, driving back and forth, etc. or just paying $60 to have it shipped and transferred all legal like?
                  total its closer to 150, 65 for the FFL with my gun, and 70 for the receiving FFL. I was planning on going to NY for the holidays since I have off, kill two birds with one stone. I'm just going to eat the fee .

Comment

Originally posted by KingofSix View Post
                    Seems like its a "gray" area from some of my LEO'S back home, like TNT said "technically" I can't have them "released" to me, and the "by the book protocol" would be to have it sent to a FFL, but things like this are often held to the discretion of the FFL when dealing with out of state LEO'S. He's probably getting an extra buck out of me, meh.
                    More likely the shop owner is erring on the side of caution. He is not going to risk his business on a gray area. He knows very well the last NYC Mayor sent guys undercover as far as Pennsylvania to try to catch shop owners operating in gray areas. The politicians in New York are very anti -gun. Sorry but you're gonna have to buck up.
                    Last edited by BNWS; 12-18-2014, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KingofSix View Post
                      total its closer to 150, 65 for the FFL with my gun, and 70 for the receiving FFL. I was planning on going to NY for the holidays since I have off, kill two birds with one stone. I'm just going to eat the fee .
                      I'm confused....did you own the gun and just used that place as storage? If so then I don't think federal "transfer" laws apply as you are really the owner and were using them as storage.

I'll add another wrinkle to your plan. As a MD resident if you aren't MD police OR a federal officer you need a "HQL". So you'll need finger prints and backround check and attend a training class (might be exempt) via MSP at a cost of roughly 150-200 total. THEN you would have your transfer fee's.

There are plenty of MD FFL's who will transfer the gun to a LE for 30 bucks.

Comment

Upon further reflection- Isn't this just totally f##ing pathetic? To move a piece of your legally owned property from one state to another?? Really??
                        RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

U can legally pick it up in NY as a Maryland PO. Document u are and quote the law to them.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_E...ers_Safety_Act

Comment

Originally posted by Contributor101623 View Post
                            U can legally pick it up in NY as a Maryland PO. Document u are and quote the law to them.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_E...ers_Safety_Act
                            I believe contributor101 is correct but you could always call another gun shop in the same county and ask them. That would also tell you if your shop is just tying to make extra $.

Comment

KingofSix, I know the place and live not too far from it. If you want, we can hook up and I can pick it up for you under my NYS CCW permit, then give it to you outside. Let me know.
                              I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4903 users online. 263 members and 4640 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X