300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LEO carry in NYC?

I have to come to NYC this weekend and will be driving up. I am a LEO down here in Georgia just outside of Atlanta and we are pretty much required to carry off duty.

Is there an issue with certified LEO's bringing their duty weapon into the city? Atlanta's crime rate sucks but NYC is a much bigger, foreign if you will, City that I would rather not be unprotected in..

BTW... this is not job related visit, a College is interested in my son.

Thanks

I believe your covered under hr218.
    If your Atlanta pd but to play it safe I would ask 1pp since you will be in nyc. If you get pulled over let them know your armed you don't want any issues.

NYC law enforcement hopeful

Comment

Just don't carry more than 7 rounds in your mag. Don't flash it. You ARE covered under LEOSA.
      Last edited by CCCSD; 12-17-2014, 10:21 PM.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Follow CCCSD's advice. No need to let anyone know you are carrying and keep your creds handy. Believe it or not, NYC has always been friendly to visiting LEOs.

Comment

Even before HR218 we didn't bother out of state cops.

Comment

Yep. Never an issue with me.

Comment

Come on up!

Enjoy!

Which college? Better be Fordham!
              Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Carnarsie U!

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                  Follow CCCSD's advice. No need to let anyone know you are carrying and keep your creds handy. Believe it or not, NYC has always been friendly to visiting LEOs.
                  Lt., It's rather ironic that New York State municipal police and exempt peace officers on or off-duty can possess and use high capacity magazines BUT the visiting out-of-state LEOs under LEOSA are STILL limited to 7 rounds. Wasn't the penal law amended for them to possess hi-cap magazines in New York?

Comment

Bro carry you're gun and enjoy the visit. Welcome to NYC and its a great city.

7 round wtf? Which cop I know is going to stop you and go hey let's count ammo. They DQ cases perps with guns. If we going to stop and harass another cop/Leo you out of you're mind.

Comment

Bring the gun, leave the canollies!
                      Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

haha.. thanks guys that helps.

NYCTNT ... He is a wrestler and has two from up your way looking at him, Muhlenberg over in Allentown and Mt. St. Vincent up in the Bronx.

Sunday is a huge Collegiate wrestling tournament at the Garden so we will be there just about all day Sunday. (Do they have security in the Garden that will check me or metal detectors?)

But we are coming into the city Saturday to check out MSV and then going to check out the city.. Can't wait to hit up Little Italy!!
                        Last edited by JoJmoto; 12-18-2014, 08:53 PM.

Comment

NYCTNT....Please tell me you're also a Ram!

Comment

U
                            Originally posted by JoJmoto View Post
                            I have to come to NYC this weekend and will be driving up. I am a LEO down here in Georgia just outside of Atlanta and we are pretty much required to carry off duty.

Is there an issue with certified LEO's bringing their duty weapon into the city? Atlanta's crime rate sucks but NYC is a much bigger, foreign if you will, City that I would rather not be unprotected in..

BTW... this is not job related visit, a College is interested in my son.

Thanks
                            joJmotto,

Be advised, although good to go in NYC and NYS, college campus is off limits to all but active police officers and peace officers, pursuant to their special duties. All others would need a sign off from the head of the institution.

On another note, none of the colleges in NYC that I know of have metal detectors, unless there is an event that would necessitate them. So, concealed means concealed if you feel the need to carry. You could also check in with campus security, but most colleges in NYC have square badge security burds, not Certified Police. Some do have a cadre of retired PO's. In the end it's up to you. I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned, as many that responded here are "In the Know".

Good Luck, Enjoy your visit!
                            Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

I can't speak for every private institution or venue or could I possible know what security measures they employ, but I can say that in my 25 years of service (much of it before the law enforcement officers safety act). I have never known any NYC cop to arrest any verified LEO from any jurisdiction for mere possession of a firearm in NYC. Can someone come on this forum and tell you different? Maybe. Can I tell you if Madison Square Garden has Magnetometers or if they will let you in? I don't know. Most likely if you come across a NYC cop on your trip it will be because you initiated the contact and ID'd yourself to him. (If your carrying concealed properly). The conversation would probably have the NYC cop asking more question about your job (pay, benefits, Hiring) than him busting you balls over a weapon. . I've met cops from many jurisdictions up to and including a bus load from the FBI national academy on a field trip that wanted to shoot the **** with me on the Coney Island board walk while they ate Nathans hot dogs. I didn't even ask if they had guns, I assumed it. Any absolutes? No. Now, if you pop someone, you will go through the same scrutiny that all NYC cops go through with the final say going to the District Attorney. No getting around that.
                              Last edited by BNWS; 12-19-2014, 11:44 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6741 users online. 347 members and 6394 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X