Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD Academy - What they don't tell you

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NYPD Academy - What they don't tell you

    With Gun & Shield Day less then a week away from my academy class, graduation is just around the corner. It has been an amazing 6 months and I'm excited to continue my career on "the streets". Prior to getting into the academy, I heard a lot of rumors, speculations and suggestions from friends and family members who have already went through the academy. First off, don't let anyone tell you how to make your career. This department, including the academy, is different for everyone. Take everything anyone says with a grain of salt. Just because your best friend or family member didn't like the academy does not mean you won't like it. Make your own decisions!

    Now, with that being said... What don't they really tell you about the academy? For me, it all comes down to MONEY. I was ready for the academics, I was ready for the gym, I was ready to be yelled at, but I wasn't ready to take a huge hit to my wallet. I left a good job to join the NYPD and took a decent pay cut. From the start of the academy, till now, I've spent roughly $4,500 dollars just on my uniform and gear alone. This does NOT include any meals, parking, gas or anything else. For some, $4,500 might not be much if you have money saved. If you live with mom and dad, this might not be an issue for you. However, for those of you who live on your own and have bills to pay, this can certainly be an issue. - Prepare yourself for this. Put money aside now. Christmas is coming up, ask your family for cash or gift cards.

    Lastly, keep all receipts. Everything adds up! Most, if not ALL of your equipment is tax deductible.

    That is all... Good luck to everyone coming in for this Jan. class!
    Last edited by Lbaust260; 12-16-2014, 08:12 AM.
    City of New York's Finest

  • #2
    You left s good job for an even better job. Don't kid yourself or sell your self short rather.

    Retire in your 40's if your early 20's. What more can you ask for.

    Keep taking civil service exams like NASSAU and SUFFOLK. Even non civil service like MTA.

    Good luck. Graduation is the 22nd?
    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Lbaust260 View Post
      With Gun & Shield Day less then a week away from my academy class, graduation is just around the corner. It has been an amazing 6 months and I'm excited to continue my career on "the streets". Prior to getting into the academy, I heard a lot of rumors, speculations and suggestions from friends and family members who have already went through the academy. First off, don't let anyone tell you how to make your career. This department, including the academy, is different for everyone. Take everything anyone says with a grain of salt. Just because your best friend or family member didn't like the academy does not mean you won't like it. Make your own decisions!

      Now, with that being said... What don't they really tell you about the academy? For me, it all comes down to MONEY. I was ready for the academics, I was ready for the gym, I was ready to be yelled at, but I wasn't ready to take a huge hit to my wallet. I left a good job to join the NYPD and took a decent pay cut. From the start of the academy, till now, I've spent roughly $4,500 dollars just on my uniform and gear alone. This does NOT include any meals, parking, gas or anything else. For some, $4,500 might not be much if you have money saved. If you live with mom and dad, this might not be an issue for you. However, for those of you who live on your own and have bills to pay, this can certainly be an issue. - Prepare yourself for this. Put money aside now. Christmas is coming up, ask your family for cash or gift cards.

      Lastly, keep all receipts. Everything adds up! Most, if not ALL of your equipment is tax deductible.

      That is all... Good luck to everyone coming in for this Jan. class!
      Everybody has there own take on the academy I'll have my own when I get there thanks for the tips


      NYC law enforcement hopeful

      Comment


      • #4
        Why didn't you use the voucher?
        NYC Corrections Exam: 2322
        Academy: March 2015 (Got the call!!) NYCDOC

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by republicangopmh View Post
          Why didn't you use the voucher?
          Honestly, the stuff they give you is crap. My advice, get a few things from 1pp that you need to get from there, or cheaper, the rest get on your own. (That doesn't mean go get something fancier thats unauthorized, just quality.) If i remember correctly the only MANDATORY purchase was for the holster and possibly the night sights? I know for sure the holster.
          Living the dream...

          Comment


          • #6
            I have to ask, what is the breakdown for that $4,500? That seems incredibly high. Granted, it's been a while since I went through but given the initial cost of equipment and academy uniforms is covered by the voucher should you choose to take it, I don't see any other substantial costs other than gym uniform, blues, and Class A (which should be the most expensive). If you're talking about having spent $4,500 on uniforms and gear alone, that's quite a lot.

            Also, I hear people advising against the voucher. I think it's silly advice. All it is is signing away your first uniform allowance for the initial gear at 1PP, which is about $800 or so. You're paying for it anyway, either out of pocket a month into the academy or via first uniform allowance. For those counting the dollars, it's an easy decision. What you shouldn't take is the $3k, interest bearing, payroll deducted MCU loan which is offered at orientation. That's the dumb choice. The academy costs are, for the most part, spread out over time. You won't be dropping a lot until down the line.

            In regards to the other post, yes, some of the equipment is crap. Yes, upgrading is always an option, as with anything in life. That isn't always financially doable, though. For those 6 months, there is no need to buy anything else than they provide (read: make you buy at 1PP) you. Once you graduate, you'll start to see what works and what doesn't, and you can buy equipment and gear at varying cost and quality. Nightsights you don't pay for, and nearly all of the 1PP stuff on that initial list is required for the academy.

            _DF
            sigpic
            __________________

            "I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

            -Thee Rant (surprisingly)
            __________________

            Originally posted by NYCTNT
            DF,

            Why do you bother?

            Comment


            • #7
              Gym is like $300, initial uniform is another $300 with name tag, dress uniform is like $500, equip at 1pp is around $300, plus study material, binders, etc like $100,

              $4500 Sounds insanely high.
              Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

              Comment


              • #8
                I spent about that much. The graduation uniform with reefer coat that u never wear was like 1500 alone. If u add that to the post above me thats $3000. Then you have tailor cost, Patrol uniforms, boots, tolls, gas, etc. People go broke.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SCPDhopeful View Post
                  I spent about that much. The graduation uniform with reefer coat that u never wear was like 1500 alone. If u add that to the post above me thats $3000. Then you have tailor cost, Patrol uniforms, boots, tolls, gas, etc. People go broke.
                  The OP stated $4,500 in equipment and gear alone.
                  sigpic
                  __________________

                  "I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

                  -Thee Rant (surprisingly)
                  __________________

                  Originally posted by NYCTNT
                  DF,

                  Why do you bother?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Roughly $4500 when all is said and done. I don't know the actual amount until I am ready to do my taxes. Now, this $4500 is NOT from ordering your basic packages, which I should have stated in my original post. This guesstimated total includes all of the academy uniforms (a few extra shirts and pants), 10 gym shirts and 4 shorts (I highly recommend to anyone to get at least 6 - 8 gym shirts), all of the equipment given at 1PP, extra equipment I purchased on my own, tailoring, dry cleaning, and now all of my PO uniforms and dress uniforms. I don't buy the cheap stuff that will fall apart or make you look like ****. If I'm going to do a job, I'm going to look great doing it. So with that said, I've purchased top of the line uniforms such as the "super shirt" from Blauer. I've purchased a few super shirts, a few cargo pants, some new admin pants, holster, extra cuffs and cuff cases, handcuff keys, flashlights, etc. etc. etc. It all adds up.

                    Now, I'm not saying you need to go all out and be a "buff". However, I personally like knowing my equipment works well, won't fall apart, and looks good. Presentation on this job (from what I've been told) goes a long way, and believe it or not, may save your life one day. - Whether you buy the cheapest of equipment and uniforms or the most expensive, that is your personal decision, but it will cost you a lot of money... Something which I wish was expressed to me earlier in the academy or preferably prior to starting the academy. Save your money now, ask for gift cards or cash for the holidays.
                    City of New York's Finest

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thats what happens when you live in one of the states i personally would love to visit but never live there. So many smug people from new york and I have met a few believe that. Why would you want to protect and serve that type of breed sir?
                      Last edited by loganm25; 12-18-2014, 03:34 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by loganm25 View Post
                        Thats what happens when you live in one of the states i personally would love to visit but never live there. So many smug people from new york and I have met a few believe that. Why would you want to protect and serve that type of breed sir?
                        Well, Logan McKinney of Arizona who will be attending the Correction Officer Training Academy. I highly doubt your job is guarenteed seeing as how you only took a drug test this week. Perhaps the staff there would looooove to hear what your opinions are of your fellow man and the fine advice you are providing.

                        Here's a smug comment for you, from a New Yorker. Go f*uck yourself. I hope you're familiar with damage control.

                        Toodles!
                        sigpic
                        __________________

                        "I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

                        -Thee Rant (surprisingly)
                        __________________

                        Originally posted by NYCTNT
                        DF,

                        Why do you bother?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Wasn't meant offend. Just saying i have met smug people from new York. Atleast i didn't curse at someone for expressing my thoughts. I'm sorry you took it the wrong way sir.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by loganm25 View Post
                            Wasn't meant offend. Just saying i have met smug people from new York. Atleast i didn't curse at someone for expressing my thoughts. I'm sorry you took it the wrong way sir.
                            Nope, that's how we do in NYC. It's just the type of breed we are
                            sigpic
                            __________________

                            "I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

                            -Thee Rant (surprisingly)
                            __________________

                            Originally posted by NYCTNT
                            DF,

                            Why do you bother?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Oh okay I am sorry sir. I was out of line.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3756 users online. 199 members and 3557 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X