300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYS Trooper

Last edited by ilovelamp; 03-26-2016, 10:03 PM.

Last edited by GrayState; 12-11-2014, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovelamp View Post
      Hello everyone, just wanted to post a few questions and hopefully get some insight. I've been a CBP Officer for over 6 years now and I believe I have a pretty good chance being in the next wave of processing. I'm really only looking for honest opinions on whether or not I should leave CBP to become a NYS Trooper. Am I crazy for even considering leaving CBP for NYS Troopers? If the opportunity does come, after 6 years being with CBP, should I even consider it after that amount of time in with CBP? Its very nerve racking thinking about leaving a stable job and going through an intense 6 month academy. Nothing is a sure thing and many different factors could leave me without a job. Any advice would be great. Feel free to me send a PM, thanks!
      Customs and boarder Patrol? if so lmao NYS Toopers over shadows that job ten fold (no offense). I'd say you'd be crazy not to take the job IF presented to you. That's my opinion.
      NYC Corrections Exam: 2322
      Academy: March 2015 (Got the call!!) NYCDOC

Comment

Originally posted by republicangopmh View Post
        Customs and boarder Patrol? if so lmao NYS Toopers over shadows that job ten fold (no offense). I'd say you'd be crazy not to take the job IF presented to you. That's my opinion.
        You do realize the acronym actually means Customs and Border Protection right? The Border Patrol is a different agency under DHS. As for the Border Patrol being over shadowed by the NYS police lol you're delusional, the two jobs are worlds apart. All three jobs are good jobs in their own right. You do realize the Border Patrol makes more arrests then any other law enforcement agency within the US right? If you knew anything about the Patrol you'd know they have to use their firearms more frequently then any other agency in the country. In fact it's so common for them that it rarely even gets reported because its the norm. So the next time you decide to post please do yourself a favor and do a bit of research before talking out of your anus
        Last edited by spect1; 12-12-2014, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovelamp View Post
          Hello everyone, just wanted to post a few questions and hopefully get some insight. I've been a CBP Officer for over 6 years now and I believe I have a pretty good chance being in the next wave of processing. I'm really only looking for honest opinions on whether or not I should leave CBP to become a NYS Trooper. Am I crazy for even considering leaving CBP for NYS Troopers? If the opportunity does come, after 6 years being with CBP, should I even consider it after that amount of time in with CBP? Its very nerve racking thinking about leaving a stable job and going through an intense 6 month academy. Nothing is a sure thing and many different factors could leave me without a job. Any advice would be great. Feel free to me send a PM, thanks!
          You have some serious soul searching to do. Are you at the border or checking passports at the airport? Do you desire to sit in one location your entire tour or be unsupervised (for the most part) protecting life and property? I almost took the Customs Inspector Job in the late 70's but decided to pass for the PD. I've worked with enough Legacy Customs people in my career to know that I made the right choice. NYSP is far better than going local, as benefits, perks and pay are way better than local dept's in NYS at the moment. AND...Troopers still garner RESPECT!

THAT SAID, if you stay, I'd look towards making AGENT. A little tougher now with being under the DHS, HSI umbrella that when Customs was Customs, but it's doable. Me, I'd go,for the NYSP. GOOD LUCK.
          Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

Originally posted by spect1 View Post
            You do realize the acronym actually means Customs and Border Protection right? The Border Patrol is a different agency under DHS. As for the Border Patrol being over shadowed by the NYS police lol you're delusional, the two jobs are worlds apart. All three jobs are good jobs in their own right. You do realize the Border Patrol makes more arrests then any other law enforcement agency within the US right? If you knew anything about the Patrol you'd know they have to use their firearms more frequently then any other agency in the country. In fact it's so common for them that it rarely even gets reported because its the norm. So the next time you decide to post please do yourself a favor and do a bit of research before talking out of your anus

Define arrest.

Anyhow, maybe in my next life I'll go BP.
            Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Appreciate all the replies. Yeah Customs and Border protection Officer is different than Border Patrol Agent. But don't worry it happens all the time unless you know the difference. Thanks again! The simple idea behind this thread is was to hear others thoughts and opinions. We'll see what the future holds and good luck to everyone who is in the process.

Comment

CBP seems like a good gig, but check out the difference in retirement between State and Federal. NY Troopers still get 50% at 20 years, I don't believe FERS gets that.

The 6 months of Academy is pretty awful though.

Comment

Yeah, their retirement is better and I believe their health insurance is as well.
                  Last edited by ilovelamp; 12-13-2014, 03:23 PM.

Comment

If you compare pay, benefits, and retirement... Also quality of life and safety, state trooper is much better. Even nypd makes more than federal. Only thing good about federal is the action, and the ability to live anywhere.

Comment

Lol I would tell you to go sit down somewhere, but it seems like your anus is hurting right now
                      NYC Corrections Exam: 2322
                      Academy: March 2015 (Got the call!!) NYCDOC

Comment

It's honestly up to you. It's not about what we want, its what you want and what is best for your current (and future) situation. Take all aspects into account. The trooper academy is often seen as "more intensive" than others. I cannot personally comment on that however, so rethink if you could bear another academy or not.

Comment

Originally posted by SCPDhopeful View Post
                          If you compare pay, benefits, and retirement... Also quality of life and safety, state trooper is much better. Even nypd makes more than federal. Only thing good about federal is the action, and the ability to live anywhere.
                          You're crazy if you think NYPD makes more than CBP. Do some real research.

Comment

Originally posted by coogi86 View Post
                            You're crazy if you think NYPD makes more than CBP. Do some real research.
                            What's CBPs top pay ?

Comment

Most new hires start at the GS-5 step 1, then advance to GS-7 Step 1, GS-9 step 1, GS-11 step 1 and GS-12 step 1, 2, 3 and 4. Raises happen every year until you reach GS-12 step 4 then its every other year.

GS-5 step 1 is approximately 32k and GS-12 step 1 is 69K per year. Depending where you live locality will change your base pay. The salary listed above does not include shift differential, Holiday pay or Sunday pay. Yes, you get paid extra if your working on a Sunday. Overtime is based on location.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...f/2014/RUS.pdf

NYC CBPO GS pay scale. https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...df/2014/NY.pdf

If the link is accurate about NYPD pay, they start off in the Academy at 44k then after 5.5 years 90k.

http://www.nypdrecruit.com/benefits-salary/overview

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6320 users online. 318 members and 6002 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X