300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to retire from NYPD

Since alot of guys here are city cops and switch to different agencies, I think this is a good question for those who've done this to answer.

If you can, provide a step by step answer such as:

what to turn in... What happens with built up time... Who to call... Etc

Call the pension section. Schedule an appointment with a retirement councilor. They tell you what to do.

Comment

retire of vest?

Talk to pension section and your admin Lt. He/she has a list and separation forms.
      Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by SCPDhopeful View Post
        Since alot of guys here are city cops and switch to different agencies, I think this is a good question for those who've done this to answer.

It depends. If you're speaking of going to another police agency outside of NYC but within NYS--your 'police' service credits can be transferred into the NYS Local retirement System. Your service in NYPD counts towards a 20 year retirement at any age in another police agency within NYS. But this doesn't happen automatically; you need to complete a NYSLRS form transferring your NYC time to the NYS local retirement system once you are employed by another police department.
        Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 12-08-2014, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCPDhopeful View Post

You must mean resign. Any cop who is eligible to retire would know the answer to this already.
          sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
          DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

He's going to Suffolk PD
            NYC Corrections Exam: 2322
            Academy: March 2015 (Got the call!!) NYCDOC

Comment

Originally posted by republicangopmh View Post
              He's going to Suffolk PD
              Now it makes sense.

You're transferring membership from the NYC Police Pension Fund to the Suffolk system (NYS Police & Fire, I believe). It is neither retirement nor resignation in the traditional sense, but NYPD treats it as a resignation ("Discontinuance of Police Service").

Call up the NYC PPF: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycppf/html/.../contact.shtml

They'll guide you in the right direction. Most of the paperwork, etc. will be handled at your command.
              sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
              DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalFrenchie View Post
                Now it makes sense.

You're transferring membership from the NYC Police Pension Fund to the Suffolk system (NYS Police & Fire, I believe). It is neither retirement nor resignation in the traditional sense, but NYPD treats it as a resignation ("Discontinuance of Police Service").

Call up the NYC PPF: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycppf/html/.../contact.shtml

They'll guide you in the right direction. Most of the paperwork, etc. will be handled at your command.
                Correct.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6276 users online. 368 members and 5908 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X