X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FINEST616
    replied
    Going Back

I went back to college to finish my Bachelor's degree when I had about 3 years on. I do midnights. It wasn't easy at all, but it was something that I promised myself that I would do, and I figured better do it before I started my own family and had more responsibilities. That being said, it is do able. It was something that I spoke to my admin Lieutenant with about, just to make sure that I did my scheduled midnights and did not get tour changed or get details or what not on days that I had classes. He was a great guy and did the right thing by me. That is not to say that you will be in a similar situation at your command. As far as court/arrests, most professors will understand, especially if you are pursuing anything in the criminal justice field. I highly recommend finishing now, you do not want to be that guy who decides that getting promoted is for you and you are scrambling to get enough credits when they reach your name on the promotional list. Any more questions feel free to ask.

Leave a comment:

• StarShield
    replied
    Originally posted by DigitalFrenchie View Post
    Same sh*t, different name! lol
    I don't know. I'm still stuck in good ole impact and these new classes coming out aren't replacing us. The newest class is in pop and rumors have it that the ones still in the academy will be undergoing a different type of training and not replacing pop. Get me out frenchie!

Leave a comment:

• DigitalFrenchie
    replied
    Originally posted by StarShield View Post
    The guys straight from the academy go to a POP (Police Officer Partnership) program I believe. Whether they go to Impact after or at all is still a mystery.
    Same sh*t, different name! lol

Leave a comment:

• StarShield
    replied
    Past post: http://forums.officer.com/t178744-29/#post3419183

I would wait until you're done with IMPACT and at a permanent command. At that point, your schedule will be way more predictable. It's not easy, but plenty of people do it. We have guys and girls getting law degrees, PhD's, nursing degrees, MA's, MBA's, MPA's, and even those just finishing a bachelors. I've been working on my MPA piecemeal for a few years now. It's beyond possible, just don't jump into it right away and always remember that ultimately, the job expects them to come first.

_DF
    The guys straight from the academy go to a POP (Police Officer Partnership) program I believe. Whether they go to Impact after or at all is still a mystery.

Leave a comment:

• shakeboxx
    replied
    Originally posted by middleramen View Post
    Work/school balance?
    It's really tough bro. I work midnight so I can finish my school. Most guys are in the same boat killing ourselves to better ourselves. I don't have my bachelors yet so dying to finish. Most of us have taken advantage of the NYPD LEADERSHIP courses at John Jay College. Most professors are understanding when you can't show up due to court and arrest. Most Professors were cops themselves so they know the deal. All I can say is I do not look forward to Friday's. Like DF said most command will work with you but don't expect it. Where there is a will there is away.

Leave a comment:

• middleramen
    replied

My signature has the updated scholarship guide, though none of them will be available to you until you have at least 3 years OTJ.

Most of the "ease" of going back to school will be command specific. Some bosses may bend over backwards to help you, others may go the extra mile to make life difficult. Such is life. School in the academy is not allowed. They'll fire you if you get caught. The day you graduate, you can take a full course load if you want, though that's obviously not a smart thing to do.

I would wait until you're done with IMPACT and at a permanent command. At that point, your schedule will be way more predictable. It's not easy, but plenty of people do it. We have guys and girls getting law degrees, PhD's, nursing degrees, MA's, MBA's, MPA's, and even those just finishing a bachelors. I've been working on my MPA piecemeal for a few years now. It's beyond possible, just don't jump into it right away and always remember that ultimately, the job expects them to come first.

_DF
    Thanks Digital! Always delivering with clear, concise info

Leave a comment:

• DigitalFrenchie
    replied
    Originally posted by middleramen View Post
    Hey all. Just wanted to ask a general question regarding school enrollment and employment within the NYPD.
    Understandable it is possible to go back within the first 2 years of employment...but difficult with the shifts(I assume)
    I would like to ask all those who are working within the department and are going back to school some questions.
    How long did it take you go go back?
    Any slack from bosses? ie steady shifts...also is this a "standard" or will some pcts just not even give me the light of day.
    Any help to pay for school?
    Work/school balance?

My signature has the updated scholarship guide, though none of them will be available to you until you have at least 3 years OTJ.

Most of the "ease" of going back to school will be command specific. Some bosses may bend over backwards to help you, others may go the extra mile to make life difficult. Such is life. School in the academy is not allowed. They'll fire you if you get caught. The day you graduate, you can take a full course load if you want, though that's obviously not a smart thing to do.

_DF

Leave a comment:

• WellPaid
    replied
    While I'm not OTJ yet, you do have a great deal of options in attaining a degree. For one, many schools offer online classes and I'm not talking about the University of Phoenix and similar colleges. I mean actual CUNY and SUNY schools. Also, depending on your tour, you may choose to take day/night classes or once a week classes held on Friday or Saturday. I honestly can't say it would be any more difficult then most college students who work while going to school. It sucks big time but it pays off in the long run. Especially if you plan on climbing the ranks and many of those guys ended up going back to school to attain some sort of management degree later on in there career. So to answer your question, it is possible and it is suggested. Good luck

Leave a comment:

• BNWS
    replied
    Lots of guys continue their education while on the job. It's not easy but guys do it.

Leave a comment:

• middleramen
    started a topic NYPD and school

NYPD and school

Hey all. Just wanted to ask a general question regarding school enrollment and employment within the NYPD.
    Understandable it is possible to go back within the first 2 years of employment...but difficult with the shifts(I assume)
    I would like to ask all those who are working within the department and are going back to school some questions.
    How long did it take you go go back?
    Any slack from bosses? ie steady shifts...also is this a "standard" or will some pcts just not even give me the light of day.
    Any help to pay for school?
    Work/school balance?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6119 users online. 350 members and 5769 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X