300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dep police academy

Anyone know anything on when the next academy may be?

january as per my investigator
    got the email 9/22/15

Comment

Originally posted by ant42292 View Post
      january as per my investigator
      Have you been contacted for the final interview yet?

Comment

waiting on it
        got the email 9/22/15

Comment

there is another thread on this; Academy is rumored for Jan (winter academy in Kingston, NY good luck lol) final interview is usually the thurs and/or fri before the academy starts and academy starts on a mon..Academy is great but the job after the academy, know what you guys are getting into. Good luck and hydrate for day 2 of the academy

Comment

When is the next DEP test going to be offered? Thanks

Comment

I don't think the test is being offered anytime soon

Comment

I was called for the medical but skipped out on it as much as I would have liked to go through the process. The academy is in the middle of no man's land, completely void of public transportation for out of towners without a car. The only way I'd be able to get there is by a train to another town across the Hudson River, then hike 20 miles north because there's no bridge between the two towns, then hike 20 miles back the other way just to enter Kingston... note that's just the city confines, not the academy itself.

If I were to do all that I'd better be paid more than the 30k ish DEP is fixated on.

Good luck to those going in.
                "Relax, the handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch out after you wear them awhile."

Comment

Originally posted by honestabels View Post
                  I was called for the medical but skipped out on it as much as I would have liked to go through the process. The academy is in the middle of no man's land, completely void of public transportation for out of towners without a car. The only way I'd be able to get there is by a train to another town across the Hudson River, then hike 20 miles north because there's no bridge between the two towns, then hike 20 miles back the other way just to enter Kingston... note that's just the city confines, not the academy itself.

If I were to do all that I'd better be paid more than the 30k ish DEP is fixated on.

Good luck to those going in.
                  That's respectable if your not willing to commute or live down there I can see why people would not take this as a law enforcement career path, at least you did your research.

Comment

Their pay is pretty terrible. Right off the bat as a CO my starting salary is higher than their top salary after 6 years. Probably not so bad if you live in the area of the academy, are young, and plan to use their certification to go to other dept's.
                    Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. An all expenses paid trip with travel, meals, and accommodations included!

Comment

For most people they wouldn't want to go through another academy they would rather wait I would assume.

Comment

Originally posted by Decided View Post
                        Their pay is pretty terrible. Right off the bat as a CO my starting salary is higher than their top salary after 6 years. Probably not so bad if you live in the area of the academy, are young, and plan to use their certification to go to other dept's.
                        If I remember correct, that's what a lot of DEP cops do. They're either older guys not keen on being as physical as say the NYPD or state troopers, or younger ones looking to get one foot in the door of law enforcement.

All in all it's not a bad gig. They have RMPs, carry, and have full police officer status... all focused on watersheds and dams and whatnot. I also believe they can respond to other calls too and support local authorities. There's a video on YouTube of a high speed chase involving DEP.

The pay can't support a family living in NYC, though, top base or not. As a matter of fact, it's not much different than what I make as a reservist in the Army, which is nickels and dimes.

Last I've heard these guys were in arbitration and their contact improved just a little bit. There was a point where these officers received no LOD pay which screwed numerous cops over. One had to refinance his house after being injured in a flipped vehicle when responding to a call.
                        Last edited by honestabels; 02-05-2015, 01:34 PM.
                        "Relax, the handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch out after you wear them awhile."

Comment

Was contacted by my investigator if I was still interested in this position, then given a mini medical feb 17. Class is in March. Not sure if I can take this because of the pay-.-
                          got the email 9/22/15

Comment

I believe everyone was called today it's the mini med then the interview, but yea the pay is pretty low it's a turn off for most people.

Comment

academy is supposed to start in march and you guys are supposed to be in the academy...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4208 users online. 215 members and 3993 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X