NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

10 PAPD Probationary Officers are to lose their jobs over boozing.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcop05
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2006

Stupid idiots

Comment

• The hopeful
      PeaceKeeper
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by L-1
      Ours involved a station Christmas party held at a hotel. Comments made by some of the off duty officers to guests of a different Christmas party were claimed to be racially offensive and allegedly blows were exchanged. The organizer of the other Christmas party contacted the off duty Lieutenant and attempted to initiate a complaint against the officers in question.

The only nexus to the department was that those in attendance were off duty members of a given station along with their wives. The department did not pay for the party and had no hand in arranging it. The only way others were aware of departmental association was that the hotel posted the department name and banquet room number on the lobby marquee, so arriving guests would know where to go. No one identified themselves as members of the agency in question.

The department's position was this had no nexus to the department or anyone's official duties and declined to investigate. They pointed out that the complainant had contacted local law enforcement regarding the alleged exchange of blows and if it was determined any officers had engaged in criminal conduct, only then would administrative disciplinary action be looked at.

Considering that my agency has been known to bu** fu** people in a heart beat, I was glad they thought this one through and didn't knee jerk.

Now in the NJ case it appears the officers flashed their badges and ID themselves as cops. This is a one way ticket to failed probation.

However, if the Lieutenant was there in an off duty capacity, I'm not sure that he had any duty to supervise other off duty personnel. This would be especially so if he himself were drunk as the news reports claim. I believe just about every department has a policy that prohibits its personnel from engaging in any police work (which includes administrative functions) while under the influence. Let's stop and ask ourselves - had this incident not occurred and the Lieutenant injected himself into any other incident and began taking official action while inebriated to the point that he was during this incident, would the department have disciplined him for engaging in official duties while drunk? If he is prohibited from engaging in official duties while drunk, how can they justify disciplining him for failing to engage in official duties while drunk in this incident? They can't have it both ways.

As long as he did nothing more than sit there fat, dumb, happy and under the influence, I suspect the department will be hard pressed to sustain any discipline against the Lieutenant on this one.
      You're right if he was also enjoying himself and not participating with the rowdy ones than he should face no discipline but if he was not drunk which I doubt than as a LT he should of put an end to the madness the second it began getting out of hand off duty or not.

Comment

• middleramen
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2014

Sooooo I wonder when the next PAPD test will open up...10 open spots....seems like a shoe I want to fill.

Comment

• NYCTNT
          DENIED!
          • Aug 2007

You just missed the exam. You have a few more years.
          Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

• NYPDream11
            You're killing me smalls!
            • Apr 2012

Cheering that 10 cops lost their jobs? Sad.

I hope their wives and children don't struggle through this time.

Comment

• middleramen
              Forum Member
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by NYPDream11

Yeah I hope they do not either... and who is cheering? I am not showing any pity towards childish behavior....throwing away a papd career...now that's just stupid.

Comment

• middleramen
                Forum Member
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by NYCTNT
                You just missed the exam. You have a few more years.
                I know I'm kicking myself over it.

Comment

• spect1
                  Forum Member
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by NYPDream11

There is a big difference between being fired due to something being completely your fault and being laid off for reasons not within your control. These 9 or 10 cops lost their jobs due to their stupidity and honestly it serves them right. I personally would have loved a shot at this job and I'm sure a bunch of other people especially on these forums would have killed to get on with the PAPD. Also no one is cheering if anything this **** ****es people off. You'd have to be a complete moron to risk your job as an officer with the PAPD.
                  Last edited by spect1; 11-08-2014, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• CelticLEO
                    Forum Member
                    • Apr 2014

I am guessing these select few didnt pay attention to the ethics class in the academy...................Damn shame.

Comment

• CF18UNIV
                      Forum Member
                      • Jul 2010

Booze will not take you anywhere good.
                      Last edited by CF18UNIV; 10-09-2020, 12:22 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• PAPD 8-2
                        Forum Member
                        • May 2009

I work with a few of those that were fired. Great group of guys and unfortunate for the outcome but let this be a lesson to you future guys and gals looking to get on your on probation for 2 years from the start of the process to the end of the academy and a year after. Lay low and keep your nose clean.

This will not be the first nor last time something like this happens and that goes for any LE job.

Stay safe

Comment

• BNWS
                          Forum Member
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by PAPD 8-2
                          I work with a few of those that were fired. Great group of guys and unfortunate for the outcome but let this be a lesson to you future guys and gals looking to get on your on probation for 2 years from the start of the process to the end of the academy and a year after. Lay low and keep your nose clean.

This will not be the first nor last time something like this happens and that goes for any LE job.

Stay safe
                          The article says they graduated earlier that day. When did you work with them?

Comment

• CountyCorrectionOfficer
                            All things to all people!
                            • Jun 2011

Deleted post
                            Last edited by CountyCorrectionOfficer; 11-11-2014, 05:08 AM.

Comment

• CountyCorrectionOfficer
                              All things to all people!
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by PAPD 8-2

Stay safe

Unfortunately, for the ten terminated PAPD officers; this dismissal will affect them in terms of future LE employment. Most major law enforcement agencies will not hire terminated LE personnel.

Comment

• nasa808
                                Forum Member
                                • May 2005

Originally posted by BNWS
                                The article says they graduated earlier that day. When did you work with them?

They graduated back in August.
                                We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20721 users online. 67 members and 20654 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...