Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 PAPD Probationary Officers are to lose their jobs over boozing.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 PAPD Probationary Officers are to lose their jobs over boozing.

Hate to share this but everyone needs to understand that with a shield is great responsibility.

10 recent PAPD graduates are going to lose their jobs over booze.

READ IT HERE FIRST: As many as 10 Port Authority police officers were expected to lose their jobs today as a result of an alcohol-fueled, post-graduation bash in Hoboken this past summer, sources told CLIFFVIEW PILOT this morning.

Sixteen in all will be disciplined, they said.

“Some will be suspended. Some will get extended probation. The rest will be fired,” one source told CLIFFVIEW PILOT.

“People will be dismissed — or, at the very least, separated from the department,” another said.

The quasi-public agency can terminate probationary officers without the usual due process or union representation.

Videotaped evidence that is “of good quality and quite devastating” led to the dismissals, as well as to departmental charges against an authority police academy lieutenant for his behavior during the Aug. 22 incident at Texas Arizona Bar and Grill near the NJ Transit Hoboken Terminal and PATH station.

The lieutenant was “suspected of being badly inebriated and guilty, as a result, of failure to supervise the rookies who are seen on video stealing beer and damaging the bathroom area of the bar,” one Port Authority source told CLIFFVIEW PILOT in September.

Internal affairs investigators interviewed a sergeant who was up for a promotion and no fewer than 90 rookie officers — including “those who were already identified and suspected of misconduct,” the source said — in the probe.

The Port Authority already confirmed that it was reviewing the actions of a dozen rookies and the lieutenant.

Those gathered were celebrating the graduation earlier that day of the Port Authority Police Academy’s 113th class — its largest ever, with 249 graduates — at the Dunn Center in Elizabeth.

Sources at the time said the officers were rowdy and ignored bouncers who tried to quiet them — with some “flashing their new badges,” one said — after which Hoboken police were called. They, in turn, contacted authority supervisors.

The Internal Affairs Bureau “has tapes of the night and they are of good quality and quite devastating,” a source told CLIFFVIEW PILOT.

“Some of it is so good they were able to get badge numbers,” said another.
    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
    Hate to share this but everyone needs to understand that with a shield is great responsibility.

10 recent PAPD graduates are going to lose their jobs over booze.

READ IT HERE FIRST: As many as 10 Port Authority police officers were expected to lose their jobs today as a result of an alcohol-fueled, post-graduation bash in Hoboken this past summer, sources told CLIFFVIEW PILOT this morning.

Sixteen in all will be disciplined, they said.

“Some will be suspended. Some will get extended probation. The rest will be fired,” one source told CLIFFVIEW PILOT.

“People will be dismissed — or, at the very least, separated from the department,” another said.

The quasi-public agency can terminate probationary officers without the usual due process or union representation.

Videotaped evidence that is “of good quality and quite devastating” led to the dismissals, as well as to departmental charges against an authority police academy lieutenant for his behavior during the Aug. 22 incident at Texas Arizona Bar and Grill near the NJ Transit Hoboken Terminal and PATH station.

The lieutenant was “suspected of being badly inebriated and guilty, as a result, of failure to supervise the rookies who are seen on video stealing beer and damaging the bathroom area of the bar,” one Port Authority source told CLIFFVIEW PILOT in September.

Internal affairs investigators interviewed a sergeant who was up for a promotion and no fewer than 90 rookie officers — including “those who were already identified and suspected of misconduct,” the source said — in the probe.

The Port Authority already confirmed that it was reviewing the actions of a dozen rookies and the lieutenant.

Those gathered were celebrating the graduation earlier that day of the Port Authority Police Academy’s 113th class — its largest ever, with 249 graduates — at the Dunn Center in Elizabeth.

Sources at the time said the officers were rowdy and ignored bouncers who tried to quiet them — with some “flashing their new badges,” one said — after which Hoboken police were called. They, in turn, contacted authority supervisors.

The Internal Affairs Bureau “has tapes of the night and they are of good quality and quite devastating,” a source told CLIFFVIEW PILOT.

“Some of it is so good they were able to get badge numbers,” said another.

I've always said the ruination of a good officer is usually due to drugs,alcohol and women or a combination thereof.

Comment

How to f-ck up a good career.
      They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

#waytogo #fail
        sigpic

Comment

I'll drink to that!
          Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post

I've always said the ruination of a good officer is usually due to drugs,alcohol and women or a combination thereof.
          RETIRED 9-16-10

Comment

It angers me knowing these 10 morons wasted 10 spots that someone else would have loved a shot at.

Comment

The port is re-examining the entire applicant processing and training over this. For all the people who took the test don't even think of getting called to start the process for a while, which is a slim chance for getting picked anyways.

Comment

Forgive me for stirring the pot here, but was the lieutenant on or off duty? The reason I ask is my agency had an incident a couple of years ago involving a large social gathering of many off duty officers including an off duty Lieutenant. Several off duty officers engaged in conduct nearby civilians found objectionable. One civilian who was aware of the Lieutenant's presence sought him out and made a complaint. The Lieutenant declined to take action, informing the civilian he was present at a social gathering in an off duty capacity and suggested the civilian contact the department and direct his complaint to an on duty supervisor.

The citizen later complained about the Lieutenant's failure to supervise. The department declined to investigate the complaint, pointing out that the Lieutenant was off duty attending a social event and as such had no obligation to supervise his subordinates as responsibility for doing so fell to the on duty supervisor.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                  Forgive me for stirring the pot here, but was the lieutenant on or off duty? The reason I ask is my agency had an incident a couple of years ago involving a large social gathering of many off duty officers including an off duty Lieutenant. Several off duty officers engaged in conduct nearby civilians found objectionable. One civilian who was aware of the Lieutenant's presence sought him out and made a complaint. The Lieutenant declined to take action, informing the civilian he was present at a social gathering in an off duty capacity and suggested the civilian contact the department and direct his complaint to an on duty supervisor.

The citizen later complained about the Lieutenant's failure to supervise. The department declined to investigate the complaint, pointing out that the Lieutenant was off duty attending a social event and as such had no obligation to supervise his subordinates as responsibility for doing so fell to the on duty supervisor.
                  Regardless if they was aware of b the situation at hand and didnt attempt to put a stop to it they should be held accountable also especially being a lieutenant. Now your story we don't know the full details we just know they was at a social gathering and that civilains found their actions objectionable just because they are law enforcement. For the port authority we know that they got a bit out of hand unfortunately for them.

Comment

Ours involved a station Christmas party held at a hotel. Comments made by some of the off duty officers to guests of a different Christmas party were claimed to be racially offensive and allegedly blows were exchanged. The organizer of the other Christmas party contacted the off duty Lieutenant and attempted to initiate a complaint against the officers in question.

The only nexus to the department was that those in attendance were off duty members of a given station along with their wives. The department did not pay for the party and had no hand in arranging it. The only way others were aware of departmental association was that the hotel posted the department name and banquet room number on the lobby marquee, so arriving guests would know where to go. No one identified themselves as members of the agency in question.

The department's position was this had no nexus to the department or anyone's official duties and declined to investigate. They pointed out that the complainant had contacted local law enforcement regarding the alleged exchange of blows and if it was determined any officers had engaged in criminal conduct, only then would administrative disciplinary action be looked at.

Considering that my agency has been known to bu** fu** people in a heart beat, I was glad they thought this one through and didn't knee jerk.

Now in the NJ case it appears the officers flashed their badges and ID themselves as cops. This is a one way ticket to failed probation.

However, if the Lieutenant was there in an off duty capacity, I'm not sure that he had any duty to supervise other off duty personnel. This would be especially so if he himself were drunk as the news reports claim. I believe just about every department has a policy that prohibits its personnel from engaging in any police work (which includes administrative functions) while under the influence. Let's stop and ask ourselves - had this incident not occurred and the Lieutenant injected himself into any other incident and began taking official action while inebriated to the point that he was during this incident, would the department have disciplined him for engaging in official duties while drunk? If he is prohibited from engaging in official duties while drunk, how can they justify disciplining him for failing to engage in official duties while drunk in this incident? They can't have it both ways.

As long as he did nothing more than sit there fat, dumb, happy and under the influence, I suspect the department will be hard pressed to sustain any discipline against the Lieutenant on this one.

Comment

What I find odd is a Lt. that would even be out drinking with rookies that just graduated,,, that sure the heck would never happen with my dept...
                      Retired LASD

Comment

Wow looks like it's a done deal these guys are officially fired!

http://www.newsday.com/news/region-s...arty-1.9594937

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
                          What I find odd is a Lt. that would even be out drinking with rookies that just graduated,,, that sure the heck would never happen with my dept...
                          Not surprising if there are young impressionable female rookies present.

Comment

So this is where they partied

I checked the menu - $14 for a hot dog. Ouch!

Comment

one of the best law enforcement careers down the drain, shame

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11618 users online. 516 members and 11102 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X