300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peace Officer warrant status

This is a spin off from the last couple of posts in the NYC deputy sheriff thread.

What exactly are the rules about peace officers executing warrants? I know a lot of people say that they can not, but I don't think it is as simple as that.

I know NYS Court Officers (and court clerks?) can execute certain types of warrants. Also, I know that family court warrants are addressed to any police or peace officer at the top of them.

Are there any other exceptions?

As far as I know, NYS Court Officers are the only peace officers than can execute a warrant, and even then it is limited to a bench warrant, not arrest or search.

Comment

NYS Dept of Finance Investigators can execute warrants. That provision does not apply to their counterparts in NYC. I will also add, NYS Dept of Finance Investigators require pistol permits to carry, whereas NYC's Investigators can purchase and carry on their credentials like Court and corrections.
      Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

family warrants.. all can execute.

Search warrants... police.

Arrest/bench.. police. Peace officer can if perp committed a chargable offense or violation.

Ex.. perp john doe jaywalked. Peace officer ran his name and a bench warrant pops... peace officer books him for jay walking.. not for the warrant.
        Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

State Court Officers can execute Bench Warrants in and around the court they are assigned to. Often a defendant will show in court A and a warrant will drop from court B. I have seen BWs issued to get a defendant from, say Family Court, to a Criminal Court. We do not go out on the streets to bring 'em in, that's up to NYPD.

Comment

If a person is arrested by a peace officer and the officer finds out there is a warrant, usually an officer assigned to the police room will swear to the warrant so the perp can be arraigned

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6390 users online. 369 members and 6021 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X