Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a misdemeanor hurt my chances of Joining NYPD, Mount Vernon PD and New rochelle

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a misdemeanor hurt my chances of Joining NYPD, Mount Vernon PD and New rochelle

I had an issue in May with a co-worker that got physical and she went and pressure charges on me. She's basically a typical trouble maker and words were exchanged and she said something about my mother that I didn't appreciate. I had a cup of water in my hand and I threw the water at her. I would like to make it clear that it is not in me to hit a female. After throwing the water she charged at me and then I tried to prevent her from attacking me by trying to hold her hands and control her until someone came and separate us. The manager came and try to part us and she's still holding on to me and dragging my arm. I got hurt from her dragging my arm. I didn't hit her but in the mix of us wrestling her glasses got broke. In fact, I didn't break her glasses she stepped on her own glasses and break it. After everything happen she called the cops and they showed up she cried and said that I punched her in her face, and I didn't hit this girl. I could've but I didn't and I had witnesses. The cops came they stated that they don't believe her story and if they're going to arrest me they would arrest her also. Incident happen in May, I dropped my application off at New rochelle PD October 6th 2014 later that night approximately 9PM I got a call from a Detective asking me to report to the station the following day. Unfortunately, I got charged for breaking the glasses but I didn't break it, she actually stepped on her glasses and broke it. The court date is January 2015. I had a lawyer representing me and I felt like if I didn't get a lawyer involved the detective would've charge me with assault. I was issued, a Desk Appearance Ticket, Top offense charge: PL 145.00 In which, I believe is 4th degree criminal mischief, Misdemeanor.

My question is, How would this affect my future, My dream of becoming a police officer? I saw on the New Rochelle PD application that a Misdemeanor may bar appointment.
    NYPD Exam 5314
    List #: 5**
    APD: Waiting!!
    Medical: Waiting!!
    Written Psych: Waiting!!
    Oral Psych: Waiting!!
    BI: Waiting!!
    JST: Waiting!!
    Mini Medical: Waiting!!

You can never say never in most cases, however I would venture to say that the charge alone, whether or not it eventually ends up being dismissed or not, will only damage your chances in getting hired in a police job. Nypd is one of those "you never know" cases since I had someone in my academy class that was locked up for jumping a turnstile supposedly, and during the desperate days of the $25,100 starting salary classes that went through the academy, perps were hired. Westchester county pd jobs though, I would just about throw in the towel, they are all better jobs than NYPD with better pay and higher standards. There are many instances where applicants are weeded out just because of receiving too many summonses whether they are speeding, parking summonses or criminal court summonses.

Comment

No one can answer that question for you trust me. Go through the process and see what comes of it. You can back out at any time you desire if you feel you dont want to continue.

Comment

Just apply and try. You never know. However the manner in which you typed your message appeared as you lacked self control by throwing water in the females face. You stated she said something about your mother that you did not like............let me ask you this, if a perp or even a civilian having a bad day said something to you about your mother (whom they dont know anyways) how are you going to react? will you let your emotions run wild and uncontrolled? Or will you handle it as a professional law enforcement officer? I handle an abundance of "societies undesirables" daily, trust me, I hear alot of non-sense, as do other officers on this forum. You need self control and whats called "alligator skin" in order to do law enforcement. I wish you all the luck , like I saud, try and see what happens. Be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeboy955 View Post
          I had an issue in May with a co-worker that got physical and she went and pressure charges on me. She's basically a typical trouble maker and words were exchanged and she said something about my mother that I didn't appreciate. I had a cup of water in my hand and I threw the water at her. I would like to make it clear that it is not in me to hit a female. After throwing the water she charged at me and then I tried to prevent her from attacking me by trying to hold her hands and control her until someone came and separate us. The manager came and try to part us and she's still holding on to me and dragging my arm. I got hurt from her dragging my arm. I didn't hit her but in the mix of us wrestling her glasses got broke. In fact, I didn't break her glasses she stepped on her own glasses and break it. After everything happen she called the cops and they showed up she cried and said that I punched her in her face, and I didn't hit this girl. I could've but I didn't and I had witnesses. The cops came they stated that they don't believe her story and if they're going to arrest me they would arrest her also. Incident happen in May, I dropped my application off at New rochelle PD October 6th 2014 later that night approximately 9PM I got a call from a Detective asking me to report to the station the following day. Unfortunately, I got charged for breaking the glasses but I didn't break it, she actually stepped on her glasses and broke it. The court date is January 2015. I had a lawyer representing me and I felt like if I didn't get a lawyer involved the detective would've charge me with assault. I was issued, a Desk Appearance Ticket, Top offense charge: PL 145.00 In which, I believe is 4th degree criminal mischief, Misdemeanor.

My question is, How would this affect my future, My dream of becoming a police officer? I saw on the New Rochelle PD application that a Misdemeanor may bar appointment.
          You haven't been convicted of anything yet.

Comment

Deleted post
            Last edited by jkelly89; 12-24-2014, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post
              You haven't been convicted of anything yet.
              And that's the most important part of it all.

Comment

Arrest is always there. He DID commit a battery.
                No agency will process an app until case is closed.
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

"Battery" is not defined in the NYS Penal Law. Sounds more like Harassment 2rd (violation) (petty offense).

Comment

Originally posted by CFD230 View Post
                    You can never say never in most cases, however I would venture to say that the charge alone, whether or not it eventually ends up being dismissed or not, will only damage your chances in getting hired in a police job. Nypd is one of those "you never know" cases since I had someone in my academy class that was locked up for jumping a turnstile supposedly, and during the desperate days of the $25,100 starting salary classes that went through the academy, perps were hired. Westchester county pd jobs though, I would just about throw in the towel, they are all better jobs than NYPD with better pay and higher standards. There are many instances where applicants are weeded out just because of receiving too many summonses whether they are speeding, parking summonses or criminal court summonses.

North of NYC in so far as police jobs are concerned is who you know. i.e. are you politically connected??

Comment

Thats for the agency to find out. He will list the arrest and a statement of his side of the story and the outcome of it. From there it is up to whoever signs off on its decision. I can tell you that I've been arrested but I was not convicted but the other people I was arrested with all took community service and something else like a 6 month acd or w/e. Now I kept going to court until it was thrown out in my name. Now I havent told you my side do you believe I committed any crime just off the arrest?

Comment

I agreed on that day I lack self control But throughout my 25 years I have been a good kid that's my first time ever getting into trouble and I deeply regret it. I'm usually the type of person to ignore people or walk away when they are starting trouble but on that particular day I was having a really bad day and I had other issues I was dealing with from previous months. So it is fair to say I let my anger get the best of me and I snapped but I'm not that type of person that's why I regret it. It happened and I can't take back, hey not everyone is perfect!
                        NYPD Exam 5314

Comment

Hopeful,

If you were arrested, there was enough PC to do so. Yes. I believe you committed a crime. Just because no pros occurred, doesn't mean you didn't do anything.

Haven't been hired yet, HAVE YOU..?
                          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by rudeboy955 View Post
                            I agreed on that day I lack self control But throughout my 25 years I have been a good kid that's my first time ever getting into trouble and I deeply regret it. I'm usually the type of person to ignore people or walk away when they are starting trouble but on that particular day I was having a really bad day and I had other issues I was dealing with from previous months. So it is fair to say I let my anger get the best of me and I snapped but I'm not that type of person that's why I regret it. It happened and I can't take back, hey not everyone is perfect!
                            If you feel you have a chance take a stab at it. Trust me I thought I wasnt going to have a chance made it past my background check all the way up to being a backfill since the agency I was processing for has classes of about 30-50. Yes I have a record way worst than yours even though we're looking for different agencies we both worried about the same thing. NO ONE HERE CAN TELL YOU FOR SURE IF YOU'RE GOING TO GET HIRED OR NOT. Unless someone here signs off on who goes through or not which I doubt and if they was on here ( not saying that those people dont be on here probably never signed in ) we wouldnt know regardless.

Comment

No, I haven't been hired as yet. I haven't taken the test as yet, the test November 15th
                              Hopeful,

If you were arrested, there was enough PC to do so. Yes. I believe you committed a crime. Just because no pros occurred, doesn't mean you didn't do anything.

Haven't been hired yet, HAVE YOU..?
                              NYPD Exam 5314

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6151 users online. 371 members and 5780 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X