300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York State Corrections Exam 25-831

Anyone else signing up to take this? Filing period ends November 25th. I chose not to sign up last year but regretted it almost immediately. Lot of valuable information about the hiring process in the thread titled 2013 NYS Correction Officer Exam/County Correction Officer Exams

Signed up first day. I will there to take it!

Comment

Good luck to all those taking the exam. I took it last year and am just now nearing the end of the process. Just waiting on the final phone call.

Comment

Anyone that lives in the city should disregard this exam. Focus your efforts on Rikers. State not worth it

Comment

Originally posted by scoops87 View Post
          Anyone that lives in the city should disregard this exam. Focus your efforts on Rikers. State not worth it
          Smh ... You have no idea if someone from the city is going from working at Applebees to becoming a state employee with good benefits and more than decent pay. I live in the Bronx and work 25 mins from home. I have zero complaints, zero regerets I do not have too long on the job. For me it's a stepping stone that if all else fails I will still be well off. Take the test what is there to lose ?

Comment

I do not see how one can say
            "if in city disregard this exam"...that is just plain old silly....if you read the info on the position they offer compensation for employees who would (and i forget if its relocate or travel...I assume both) This being said....I vote that its a pretty good gig.

Comment

I have a few questions about the exam:

Do they give out this exam on a yearly bases?(people took this last year)

How often do they hold academies, and what size do they tend to be(Of course understanding that past trends may not continue)?

I have signed up and plan on relocating to NY state just hoping the timing will align with my lease ending and my wedding but wouldn't squander an opportunity when presented with it.

Comment

Originally posted by middleramen View Post
                I do not see how one can say
                "if in city disregard this exam"...that is just plain old silly....if you read the info on the position they offer compensation for employees who would (and i forget if its relocate or travel...I assume both) This being said....I vote that its a pretty good gig.
                Read that again. The state does not compensate for either. State Corrections is severely underpaid compared to surrounding departments (rikers, Westchester, Suffolk, etc) and requires you to sometimes travel 5-6 hours. I was lucky and got the Green Haven hub when I graduated years ago. My boy from BK not so lucky now. He's 6 hours away out west smh. Job not all it's cracked up to be

Comment

source nysdoccs "Appointees who work in the five boroughs of New York City or in Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland or Westchester Counties will receive an additional $3,438 annual downstate adjustment. Appointees who work in Dutchess, Orange or Putnam Counties will receive an additional $1,280 annual Mid-Hudson adjustment"

Comment

Originally posted by scoops87 View Post
                    Read that again. The state does not compensate for either. State Corrections is severely underpaid compared to surrounding departments (rikers, Westchester, Suffolk, etc) and requires you to sometimes travel 5-6 hours. I was lucky and got the Green Haven hub when I graduated years ago. My boy from BK not so lucky now. He's 6 hours away out west smh. Job not all it's cracked up to be
                    I know what you mean, and have also heard that folks living in NYC can end up in facilities far from home, and that it could also take 15+ years to transfer to an NYC facility. A buddy of mine is a NYS CO, and mentioned that out of the Academy, folks can end up in Beacon, Laconic, Fishkill or Downstate, which is about a 1.5 hour drive from NYC. He also mentioned that in under a year, folks can transfer to Sing Sing. That's about an hour drive from New York City, so it could work well for those who live in the five boroughs.

He also mentioned the option of staying in what he called flophouses (or State housing). Share an apartment with a bunch of guys, or get a place at Stewart Air Force base, work four doubles, and get eight days off. I am actually taking this exam in light of how the exams for NYC Corrections have been suspended while they reassess a lot of the entrance qualifications. I definitely appreciate you bringing up these points, though. Thanks, and stay safe.
                    NYPD Academy - July 2011 Session

Comment

Originally posted by middleramen View Post
                      source nysdoccs "Appointees who work in the five boroughs of New York City or in Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland or Westchester Counties will receive an additional $3,438 annual downstate adjustment. Appointees who work in Dutchess, Orange or Putnam Counties will receive an additional $1,280 annual Mid-Hudson adjustment"
                      Misunderstood ur initial quote and thought you meant the state pays to relocate. Yea, if your jail is in any of those counties you get the adjustment. My jail is in Dutchess county. Every little bit helps, but the location pay totals $49 before taxes smh.

Originally posted by Nitro718 View Post
                      I know what you mean, and have also heard that folks living in NYC can end up in facilities far from home, and that it could also take 15+ years to transfer to an NYC facility. A buddy of mine is a NYS CO, and mentioned that out of the Academy, folks can end up in Beacon, Laconic, Fishkill or Downstate, which is about a 1.5 hour drive from NYC. He also mentioned that in under a year, folks can transfer to Sing Sing. That's about an hour drive from New York City, so it could work well for those who live in the five boroughs.

He also mentioned the option of staying in what he called flophouses (or State housing). Share an apartment with a bunch of guys, or get a place at Stewart Air Force base, work four doubles, and get eight days off. I am actually taking this exam in light of how the exams for NYC Corrections have been suspended while they reassess a lot of the entrance qualifications. I definitely appreciate you bringing up these points, though. Thanks, and stay safe.
                      Sing Sing started moving again thankfully. When Arthur Kill closed it took about 2 years to get there, but now that the dust has settled they're taking at least 20 officers a movement now. Flop houses are good, but you're sharing with at least 10-15 guys, although you'll probably only actually be in the house with 2-3 guys at a time. Personally, i've got buddies in NYC corrections and their checks put mine to shame. Still, all in all, a good stepping stone job the State is i guess. If your location is correct, i wouldn't stay at Stewarts. I'm from WP too, it's easier to drive home. 25 mins to Stewarts, 40 mins on the Taconic to get home. Nice to sleep in your own bed every night. Good luck in the process bro

Comment

I feel location aside, may get lucky , may not...as long as you take the test you are being productive. Now if the test is 6 hrs upstate...Im out.

Comment

Okay first let me just say that if you are looking for a career take the exam.

The reason why this exam is being given is because in the late 80's many CO's were hired and there is ALOT statewide that are either retiring or able to retire. The exam given a year ago is almost depleted already as they are more than half way through it already.

You need thick skin to be a CO . If you are bashing the state CO's on a forum or telling others to pass up such an opportunity you are either a powderpuff that possibly got into corrections and ****ed your self on the first night of the academy and went home with your tail in between your legs or you couldn't pass the processing med/agility or psych exam and are just ****ed off and envy other who want to better themselves.

The career is great. It has its fun times and the time off is great. Pay is not bad and there is always overtime.

Any state law enforcement job really you risk being placed miles from home at first but if you do your time, gain experience and seniority and before you know it you are being transferred back to a home facility.

bottom line if you are looking for advice by coming on to this forum, TAKE THE EXAM. If you have to think or not sure if you can handle being face to face with the states most hardened criminals then pass it up and leave the space for someone who really can do the job and wants the job.

Comment

Originally posted by jaykuh View Post
                            You need thick skin to be a CO . If you are bashing the state CO's on a forum or telling others to pass up such an opportunity you are either a powderpuff that possibly got into corrections and ****ed your self on the first night of the academy and went home with your tail in between your legs or you couldn't pass the processing med/agility or psych exam and are just ****ed off and envy other who want to better themselves.
                            Simmer down New Jack. Im unfortunately the guy that's still on the job, jus sayin. And that comment was referenced to city applicants because they don't know the Buffalo guys like to vote for 0's because the pay is more than enough for the cost of living up there. Nd after this crap contract runs out, if Cuomo actually offers something halfway decent they're going to turn it down for more 0's again (ie what happened 2 years ago). Just telling city guys that waiting 7 years for Job rate, they can get in 3.5 on the island. Jus sayin
                            Last edited by scoops87; 11-08-2014, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Has anyone gotten their exam notice in the mail? The test is just over a week away and I haven't heard anything yet...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4990 users online. 386 members and 4604 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X