300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYC Pistol Permit

I've asked around and have gotten too many different answers. I'm just curious to know whether anyone can answer accurately. I'm currently a NYS Corrections Officer and carry on my badge. Is there any chance of getting approved for a pistol permit for NYC if I apply for it? Or should I not even waste my money and just apply after I'm retired which I was told only than would I be approved for an unrestricted pistol permit...I currently live in the Bronx in the confines of the 49pct if that matters at all.

Originally posted by NyPd G View Post
    I've asked around and have gotten too many different answers. I'm just curious to know whether anyone can answer accurately. I'm currently a NYS Corrections Officer and carry on my badge. Is there any chance of getting approved for a pistol permit for NYC if I apply for it? Or should I not even waste my money and just apply after I'm retired which I was told only than would I be approved for an unrestricted pistol permit...I currently live in the Bronx in the confines of the 49pct if that matters at all.
    Correct me if Im wrong but why would you need a pistol permitvif you're still actively a leosa protected peace officer? Also it may depend on your agency whether or not you can work jobs that wants you to carry. Theres many jobs you can no longer do while employed as law enforcement.

Comment

Since you carry on your creds I doubt very much that NYPD will approve your app. Possibility of conflict with your job is not worth it to them. Wait until you retire then apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
        Since you carry on your creds I doubt very much that NYPD will approve your app. Possibility of conflict with your job is not worth it to them. Wait until you retire then apply.
        Excellent advice,LT.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
          why would someone need a permit if they're protected by LEOSA? I mean unless he was looking to where somewhere else part time.

Comment

Originally posted by The hopeful View Post
            why would someone need a permit if they're protected by LEOSA? I mean unless he was looking to where somewhere else part time.

Hopeful, LEOSA only pertains to active or retired law enforcement officers carrying their personally owned handguns across state lines without the need of obtaining non-resident pistol licenses. Purchase of handguns by law enforcement personnel as well as private citizens are regulated by the individual states. There are quite a few police agencies, including mine, that do not permit their sworn officers to purchase a personally-owned handgun by virtue of their employment. Thus, the officer needs to obtain a NYS pistol license .Some counties up here in the Upper Hudson Valley will grant a police/correction officer a pistol license whose allowed to purchase/possess a pistol on their employment status anyways. If the officer or employer terminates the employment--the former officer may retain his personally owned weapon on his pistol license rather than turning the weapon into the department or FFL for proper disposal.

Comment

Originally posted by The hopeful View Post
              Because in NYS the permit allows you, the license holder or retired LEO to acquire and dispose of handguns.

To the OP, NYPD will NOT issue you a permit while you are active. You purchase, dispose of and carry on you Creds.
              Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

1911 is correct, the nypd will not issue a carry permit to an active law enforcement officer. You can get a premise permit but why waste almost $400 bucks for something that doesn't benefit you. I work for nys doccs also. Remember when you retire the permit is "free".

Comment

If your looking for a loophole to carry because your Warden did not approve you to carry, your going about things the wrong way.

If you want a permit for when you retire... That's a given. No need to worry about that.

Keep your money bro.
                  Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                    If your looking for a loophole to carry because your Warden did not approve you to carry, your going about things the wrong way.

If you want a permit for when you retire... That's a given. No need to worry about that.

Keep your money bro.
                    No loophole I already carry.. I just started my career but most guys carry on their badge but also have their guns on their permit (upstate guys) I was just wondering if obtaining a permit in the city was even possible. Thanks for the responses and I won't waste my money lol... I'm currently in the process for NYPD so if I get the job I won't even worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by wo 150 View Post
                      1911 is correct, the nypd will not issue a carry permit to an active law enforcement officer. You can get a premise permit but why waste almost $400 bucks for something that doesn't benefit you. I work for nys doccs also. Remember when you retire the permit is "free".
                      I never knew this thanks for the heads up... They weapons training officers never could answer the questions of us city residing guys.

Comment

No loophole I already carry.. I just started my career but most guys carry on their badge but also have their guns on their permit (upstate guys) I was just wondering if obtaining a permit in the city was even possible. Thanks for the responses and I won't waste my money lol... I'm currently in the process for NYPD so if I get the job I won't even worry about it.
                        Some NYSDOC wardens want their CO's to get permits, it's less paperwork and record keeping for them. Certain counties will, unlike Downstate, issue said permits. End of the day, the agency can't stop a police officer or peace officer from purchasing under the LE exemption. The MTA tried this years ago and lost with TBTA.
                        Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

If you go to NYPD; that becomes another issue regarding pistol possession. As as a police recruit in the academy you MUST turn in your personally owned pistol to NYPD for safekeeping. NYCTNT knows more about it than i do, and he could advise you according as the next steps of retrieving your pistol from NYPD storage.

Comment

Originally posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post
                            If you go to NYPD; that becomes another issue regarding pistol possession. As as a police recruit in the academy you MUST turn in your personally owned pistol to NYPD for safekeeping. NYCTNT knows more about it than i do, and he could advise you according as the next steps of retrieving your pistol from NYPD storage.
                            Yea so I heard I was told during the mini med I will be told to voucher my weapon/s to my residing precinct... Also no magazine necessary n must have a trigger lock

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6124 users online. 341 members and 5783 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X